Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I'm sure he'll be back.

And I figured you'd answer, being snowed in like me.:-D

• Lynn Pettis (4/18/2009)

I'd love to but he keeps hijacking threads with his "product" and I totally dislike salesmen that think by disparaging the competition their product will look better instead of letting their product stand on its own merits.

Report any such posts to Steve and ask him to remove uncalled for advertising.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Alvin Ramard (4/17/2009)

Jeff Moden (4/17/2009)

The only sign of snow here in Michigan today is the snow jobs I've been getting from management for the last 2 days.... about 30 feet worth.... that's just about as deep as their line of BS is. 😛

Sounds like you need a snow blower equipped with a pork chop launcher.

Dammit... I knew I should have patented it when I had the chance.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• It's not advertising as I'd normally see it. It's a mention that his product, which shall not be mentioned, and which apparently isn't in use by anyone, is great!

I'm tempted to delete them, but they don't quite hit my standards.

• Steve Jones - Editor (4/18/2009)

It's not advertising as I'd normally see it. It's a mention that his product, which shall not be mentioned, and which apparently isn't in use by anyone, is great!

I think your best advice, which was similar to the advice I've given about that particular person and recent others, is that you can't have a war if no one shows up. Just let people fester in their own stew. FJ and a couple of others should have been treated in such a manner because, despite the best efforts of some, other will simply not learn.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• I'm watching one of the Star Wars movie on TV and the story is not the same as it used to be. The short, greenish, master Jedi is not the same anymore. Each time they show him, I don't think Yoda. I think Lynn!

Aaaaarrrrggghhhh!!!!

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (4/18/2009)

I'm watching one of the Star Wars movie on TV and the story is not the same as it used to be. The short, greenish, master Jedi is not the same anymore. Each time they show him, I don't think Yoda. I think Lynn!

Aaaaarrrrggghhhh!!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!!

• Steve Jones - Editor (4/18/2009)

I'm sure he'll be back.

And I figured you'd answer, being snowed in like me.:-D

Actually, we don't have much snow down here in the Widefield/Security/Fountain area. I am glad, however, that they cancelled todays soccer games last night. Still a bit cold out there and the ground is quite frozen. Streets in our area are clear, somewhat wet.

• Jeff Moden (4/18/2009)

Steve Jones - Editor (4/18/2009)

It's not advertising as I'd normally see it. It's a mention that his product, which shall not be mentioned, and which apparently isn't in use by anyone, is great!

I think your best advice, which was similar to the advice I've given about that particular person and recent others, is that you can't have a war if no one shows up. Just let people fester in their own stew. FJ and a couple of others should have been treated in such a manner because, despite the best efforts of some, other will simply not learn.

FJ was a challenge, but I also think he may have learned something, which he wouldn't have if we had simply ignored him. Yes, it was bloody, nasty at times, but sometimes getting someone to change their preconceptions can be difficult. FJ has more to learn and as professionals, I really don't think we should turn our backs on him. He lives in Denver, and I think it would be helpful if some of the others on this site that live up there (not just you Steve J.) need to see if you can get him to attend some of the SQL Server Users Groups meetings up there. If he turns out to be a troll and not really wanting to learn more about SQL Server and how to make it perform better, then fine.

• Anyone willing to review a short article? "How to post performance problems"

I should be finished with it tomorrow.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (4/18/2009)

Anyone willing to review a short article? "How to post performance problems"

I'd be willing to look it over.

Anyone willing to review a short article? "How to post performance problems"

Sure

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Thanks.

Can you (and anyone else interested) PM me an email address I can use? Doc is currently in Word 2007 format

Gail Shaw

• Anyone got SQL 2000? More specifically Query Analyser?

If so, can you please get me a screen shot of the following.

Run the following:

SET STATISTICS PROFILE ON

GO

SELECT * FROM sysobjects

There will be two result sets returned. I need a screen shot that shows copying the second grid (the one with the execution plan).

In management studio that's done by clicking the top-left corner of the grid then right-clicking and selecting copy (as attached image shows). I can't remember what the equivalent is in Query Analyser. I don't have it installed (and SQL 2000 won't install on Vista AFAIK) and I haven't used QA in around 3 years.

Gail Shaw

Anyone got SQL 2000? More specifically Query Analyser?

If so, can you please get me a screen shot of the following.

Run the following:

SET STATISTICS PROFILE ON

GO

SELECT * FROM sysobjects

There will be two result sets returned. I need a screen shot that shows copying the second grid (the one with the execution plan).

In management studio that's done by clicking the top-left corner of the grid then right-clicking and selecting copy (as attached image shows). I can't remember what the equivalent is in Query Analyser. I don't have it installed (and SQL 2000 won't install on Vista AFAIK) and I haven't used QA in around 3 years.

Hi Gail

I attached a picture. I this what you want?

Greets

Flo

Viewing 15 posts - 3,556 through 3,570 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply