Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Grant Fritchey (4/28/2009)

You can get two plans into the cache through parallelism. I've done it and seen it.

Mind sharing the secret? Nothing I've tried gets me both a serial and a parallel plan in cache at the same time. Unless I'l looking in the wrong places.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Lynn Pettis (4/28/2009)

The desert is looking good again...

I might join you this time. For some reason some of the posts over the last few days have been getting to me, they shouldn't and I don't know why they are.

p.s. did you ever get a chance to work through my article? Not nagging, just curious.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• I did it in the execution plan book. Let me look it up...

Damn, found a typo. I'm blaming you becuase I wouldn't have seen it otherwise...

Crap... Evidently I just lied... I know I've seen it before. Now I have to figure it out again. Crud.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Hmmm... Now I am confused. I remember seeing that in action, but when you run RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE the cache gets cleaned out, so I couldn't have done it playing with the paralelism cost threshold...

Back in a bit.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (4/28/2009)

Hmmm... Now I am confused.

You and me both. I started writing a blog post on this, explaining that there could be serial and parallel plans in cache. It was going to be one of my series on exec plans. When I couldn't get SQL to behave the way I wanted, after a fair bit of trying, I deleted the half-done post.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (4/28/2009)

Lynn Pettis (4/28/2009)

The desert is looking good again...

I might join you this time. For some reason some of the posts over the last few days have been getting to me, they shouldn't and I don't know why.

p.s. did you ever get a chance to work through my article? Not nagging, just curious.

I got part way through it and the life outside of SQL took over this weekend. Lots of soccer followed by an unrelated to soccer migraine on Sunday. Pretty sure the migraine was due to lack of food and caffeine. Didn't drink much of my soda and lunch and dinner have been minuscule these past few days.

I have another game tonight, but I should be able to finish up by Friday.

• GilaMonster (4/28/2009)

Grant Fritchey (4/28/2009)

Hmmm... Now I am confused.

You and me both. I started writing a blog post on this, explaining that there could be serial and parallel plans in cache. It was going to be one of my series on exec plans. When I couldn't get SQL to behave the way I wanted, after a fair bit of trying, I deleted the half-done post.

I re-checked the documentation. It says there are two plans, one for parallel and one for not. I just can't get it to create both without forcing a parallel query, but when you force one... you've just removed the ability to have an unforced one. Frustrating.

• You know, I guess it is really hard to teach someone fish when you are in the middle of the desert...

I have another game tonight, but I should be able to finish up by Friday.

No real urgency.

Thanks

Gail Shaw

• You know, I guess it is really hard to teach someone fish when you are in the middle of the desert...

Somewhere that man is getting well paid for the use of your fishing gear, Lynn. 😉

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious (4/28/2009)

You know, I guess it is really hard to teach someone fish when you are in the middle of the desert...

Somewhere that man is getting well paid for the use of your fishing gear, Lynn. 😉

But, I haven't given him the fish yet, and I actually don't plan on it. I simply refuse to give him the answer to his own logic error. I've pointed him in the direction, if he can't find the fish, he starves.

You could say I have given him 3 lb test fishing line when he needs 10 lb test...

Bob Hovious (4/28/2009)

You know, I guess it is really hard to teach someone fish when you are in the middle of the desert...

But, I haven't given him the fish yet, and I actually don't plan on it. I simply refuse to give him the answer to his own logic error. I've pointed him in the direction, if he can't find the fish, he starves.

You could say I have given him 3 lb test fishing line when he needs 10 lb test...

I think it's a broken analogy in this case. You're handing the guy a fishing pole and some line and a hook and all that, and he's trying to use it to shoot deer. Out in the woods, catching the line on surrounding trees and bushes, and thinking, "If I can just learn to cast correctly, I'll be able to hook one of these deer one of these days".

My current inclination on this guy is more to demonstrate the difference between "giving a man a fish" and "throwing fish at someone".

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (4/28/2009)

Lynn Pettis (4/28/2009)

Bob Hovious (4/28/2009)

I think it's a broken analogy in this case. You're handing the guy a fishing pole and some line and a hook and all that, and he's trying to use it to shoot deer. Out in the woods, catching the line on surrounding trees and bushes, and thinking, "If I can just learn to cast correctly, I'll be able to hook one of these deer one of these days".

ROTFLMAO. All I could see was the commercial on TV where people started throwing candy bars at the deer!

• What did I miss...?? Which thread is it??

-Roy

• Well, if you must know... this is his latest thread

😉

Viewing 15 posts - 3,736 through 3,750 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply