Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Chris Morris (4/30/2009)

@Barry - get well soon mate, that sounds like some horrible stuff you're dealing with. You will be hugely missed while you're away for the op.

Thanks, Chris. The operation was entirely successful and I am home. Apparently it's considered quite routine, but now that the super-duper pain-killers have finally worn off, I suddenly feel like an old, overweight, out of shape keyboard-jockey who got hit by a train and I feel very mortal today. ... I think that I need to get some regular physical activity back into my life again.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Luke L (4/30/2009)

Hey Barry, good to see you back, hope all is well.

-Luke.

Thanks, Luke.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• Glad things went well, and glad you're OK, Barry.

• Thanks, Steve 🙂

[/font]

• Yes, Barry, glad to see you back! Take it easy for a few days.

• RBarryYoung (4/30/2009)

Chris Morris (4/30/2009)

@Barry - get well soon mate, that sounds like some horrible stuff you're dealing with. You will be hugely missed while you're away for the op.

Thanks, Chris. The operation was entirely successful and I am home. Apparently it's considered quite routine, but now that the super-duper pain-killers have finally worn off, I suddenly feel like an old, overweight, out of shape keyboard-jockey who got hit by a train and I feel very mortal today. ... I think that I need to get some regular physical activity back into my life again.

Helmet, Barry... put the helmet back on. Take deep breaths and try not to laugh! 😛

Good to hear from you. Glad everything {pun} came out ok. :hehe:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Heh. Thanks Lynn and Jeff.

I don't usually post these, but this guy really takes the cake for me.

Knows not to cross-post but at least I only did it once?!? WTF?!?

Glad Gail got to him first, she always handles these very professionally. I would have had him two feet off the ground, grasping at his own throat.

[/font]

... I would have had him two feet off the ground, grasping at his own throat.

...as you sardonically tell him "I find your lack of respect for forum etiquette disturbing."

Welcome back! Glad to hear all went well. As I found out a couple of years ago "minor" surgery is something that happens to someone else -- it's never minor when you find yourself on the gurney ride to the O.R.

• I can think of one particular example who has about 500+ posts, and every one I have seen has been dross, positively dangerous, or "Yes, that is good advise". Gila, IIRC, has pulled him on some of his most egregious rubbish in the past - I believe he thinks that a high number will reflect well on him, irrespective of quality.

And the quality boils down in a number of cases to "Hi, please take on board this guide to career suicide" ...

Loking in a malevolent way at a sort of bright side, if anyone ever suggested outsourcing my job to his city, I could pull his posts and say "Well, you can do ... but you may well get this guy ... "

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

The operation was entirely successful and I am home.

[font="Verdana"]:w00t: Welcome back![/font]

Glad Gail got to him first, she always handles these very professionally. I would have had him two feet off the ground, grasping at his own throat.

That's one of my standard templates. I did contemplate customising especially for him, but I had a report to write.

I've had a couple people take that cross post 'request' badly. I had one reply once basically along the lines of "Who the hell do you think you are, cut this arrogant attitude, blah, blah, blah"

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (4/30/2009)

RBarryYoung (4/30/2009)

That's one of my standard templates. I did contemplate customising especially for him, but I had a report to write.

I've had a couple people take that cross post 'request' badly. I had one reply once basically along the lines of "Who the hell do you think you are, cut this arrogant attitude, blah, blah, blah"

That's when you put a link in each cross post to the other one. Creates a "circular reference" and will confuse everyone.

• I don't normally ignore Gail's requests, but in this case, I could not resist:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost708104.aspx

Ensure your sarcasm detectors are buffered against overload before reading.

Paul

• You do know that your link in that thread is broken?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Paul White (4/30/2009)

I don't normally ignore Gail's requests, but in this case, I could not resist:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost708104.aspx

Ensure your sarcasm detectors are buffered against overload before reading.

Paul

Good answer! I thought about five times to answer to this "I know I should not do this but I do anyway..."!!

Little issue, your lmgtfy link doesn't work :hehe:

Viewing 15 posts - 3,841 through 3,855 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply