Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jan Van der Eecken (4/29/2009)

David Webb (4/29/2009)

Yes. I saw it 5 times during the next two weeks and saw some new detail I had missed on the times before. Bought the soundtrack as soon as I could find it. I'll bet the opening overture is the most recognizable music on the planet.

As much as I like Star Wars, I sincerely hope that Beethoven's Ninth or Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" is still more popular. But then again, I'm Austrian, so I'm probably biased.

Nite,

Jan

I agree, especially on the Mozart. (I'm not Austrian, but do play fiddle.)

• GilaMonster (4/28/2009)

Lynn Pettis (4/28/2009)

The desert is looking good again...

I might join you this time. For some reason some of the posts over the last few days have been getting to me, they shouldn't and I don't know why they are.

Thank goodness! I thought I might be the only one having a real DILIGAF attitude this last week or so. I normally post between 600 and 800 times a month. I'll be lucky to hit 300 this month. I feel like I've been beat to death.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• I saw "Star Wars" on opening night, Lynn. The special effects were astounding for that point in time. One of my college buddies and I drove up to Memphis to see it at a really good theatre. We shot TIE fighters all the way home.

How many people know that a short novel based on the screenplay was published before the movie hit the theatres? At the time, my roommate failed to see what I found funny about a little robot that spoke in electronic beeps, boops, and whistles.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• When it was released I was in India. And when it came to our theaters there, I saw it... But it must have been a late release. There was not that much market for English movies at that ime back in India.

Now a days the movies gets released in India before it gets relesed in the US ... :hehe:

-Roy

• Lynn Pettis (4/29/2009)

GilaMonster (4/29/2009)

Bruce W Cassidy (4/29/2009)

[font="Verdana"]International Star Wars day... "May the 4th be with you."[/font]

*groan*

Hmmm, we were discussing having another Starwars day.....

Now for something totally the same...

How many people, besides myself, here on The Thread saw the original theatrical release of Star Wars when it was first released?

Got you. πŸ™‚ I actually saw it at a special pre-release in State College PA the day before the actual release (common now, but this was actually quite a rare thing back then). My tiny little college's director of Theater Arts dept was some temporarily outcast Hollywood director who gave me and two friends the high sign three months earlier that "the secret scuttlebutt is that Lucas's next film is not to be missed". My college may have been tiny, but the largest campus in Pennsylvania (Penn State - Main Campus) was only 30 miles away in State College, so we networked our butts off to find way to get into the first showing that there would be.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Most chances that all of you star wars fan, know this site, but just in case that someone missed it, here it is http://www.asciimation.co.nz/%5B/url%5D

Adi

--------------------------------------------------------------
    To know how to ask questions and increase the chances of getting asnwers:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• RBarryYoung (4/29/2009)

Lynn Pettis (4/29/2009)

GilaMonster (4/29/2009)

[font="Verdana"]International Star Wars day... "May the 4th be with you."[/font]

*groan*

How many people, besides myself, here on The Thread saw the original theatrical release of Star Wars when it was first released?

Got you. πŸ™‚ I actually saw it at a special pre-release in State College PA the day before the actual release (common now, but this was actually quite a rare thing back then). My tiny little college's director of Theater Arts dept was some temporarily outcast Hollywood director who gave me and two friends the high sign three months earlier that "the secret scuttlebutt is that Lucas's next film is not to be missed". My college may have been tiny, but the largest campus in Pennsylvania (Penn State - Main Campus) was only 30 miles away in State College, so we networked our butts off to find way to get into the first showing that there would be.

I saw the original in the cinema. I remember at school it was like a badge of honour - telling everyone else that you were going that weekend, and finally being in the club... A week was a long time back then. πŸ˜€

I saw it a couple of weeks after a friend and he couldn't stop reminding me that he had already seen it!

GilaMonster (4/29/2009)

*groan*

I can't remember where I first saw it, but I do remember when the first ship (Leia's) appears after the opening text I thought

"That's a big spaceship".

Then the second ship appears (Darth's Star Destroyer) and I thought

"No! THAT's a BIG spaceship!".

Funny, when seen on TV, neither of them look big any more. I suppose it was partly the vision-filling effect of the big screen and partly, of course, that I now know what's coming, so Darth's ship doesn't seem to go on and on like it did that first time.

Derek

Not me, at least I don't think so. But then I wasn't even a year old at the time

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (4/29/2009)

tosscrosby (4/29/2009)

Lynn Pettis (4/28/2009)

You know, I can think of some one else that, IMHO, ranks right there with our favorite White House window washer, and here is his latest post.

The desert isn't big enough at times.

And he's worried about being "unique" on this site? Personally, if I were he, I'd want to remain as anonymous as possible! πŸ˜‰

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic661095-61-1.aspx%5B/quote%5D

Did you see this one?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic648101-61-1.aspx

So that's what MCA means! πŸ™‚ Surprising innit?

@Barry - get well soon mate, that sounds like some horrible stuff you're dealing with. You will be hugely missed while you're away for the op.

@roy - good to see you back on your island and posting your usual wit here - welcome home!

@Bruce - go for it, that's got to be a winner.

Cheers

ChrisM

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Jan Van der Eecken (4/29/2009)

David Webb (4/29/2009)

Yes. I saw it 5 times during the next two weeks and saw some new detail I had missed on the times before. Bought the soundtrack as soon as I could find it. I'll bet the opening overture is the most recognizable music on the planet.

As much as I like Star Wars, I sincerely hope that Beethoven's Ninth or Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" is still more popular. But then again, I'm Austrian, so I'm probably biased.

Nite,

Jan

Nah mate, it's Indiana Jones!

Da dadada, dadada - unforgettable. Now where's me hat and whip?

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

Me. And my most favorite t-shirt was a Star Wars t-shirt for the longest time, until I grew out of it.

When I first got involved with the Internet, I found a Star Wars sim (text-based simulation/role playing) and I found it incredibly amusing that most of the people involved in it were not even born (or still in diapers) when the movie was released. Talk about staying power. 33 years later Star Wars is still going strong.

It is also interesting to see Star Wars references in other cultures. As for the music, yes, it is very recognizable. Mozart and Beethoven are quite possibly more popular, but the Star Wars theme and the Imperial March are definitely very recognizable.

After all... Reasons why Star Wars is better than Titanic...

Two words. John Williams.

-- Kit

• GilaMonster (4/30/2009)

Lynn Pettis (4/29/2009)

Not me, at least I don't think so. But then I wasn't even a year old at the time

Heh. Don't worry Gail, us old dinosaurs will be extinct soon enough! πŸ˜€

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Kit G (4/30/2009)

Lynn Pettis (4/29/2009)

After all... Reasons why Star Wars is better than Titanic...

Two words. John Williams.

Can't agree more. I would imagine that some there are some more recognizable pieces of music but not many. You could throw out some Chopin, Beetoven, Mozart or even some of the modern (20th centrury) film composers like Aaron Coplan. Much of it depends on the generation, a lot of people would recognize Benny Goodman, but may not know it.

I don't remember the first two as I was only 2 months old in May of 1977 (even though supposedly I was there), but I do remember being in the theater for ET and the 3rd/6th one?

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Hey Barry, good to see you back, hope all is well.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 3,826 through 3,840 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply