Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Am waiting with bated breath to see if "Saint" Lynn lives up to his kind and understanding reputation. Someone stumbled on an old QOD thread about calculating a person's age in which multiple alternative solutions were offered. Summary of last few posts (previous post was months ago):

NewGuy: With these data, I get wrong answers...

Some Helpful SSC Member: what are you using?

NewGuy: SQL Server 2012

Lynn: What I think you were asked is what formula you are using to compute age, not what version of SQL Server.

NewGuy: I am using your code of course.

----

edit to add link to post: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1410623.aspx

• john.arnott (1/24/2013)

Am waiting with bated breath to see if "Saint" Lynn lives up to his kind and understanding reputation. Someone stumbled on an old QOD thread about calculating a person's age in which multiple alternative solutions were offered. Summary of last few posts (previous post was months ago):

Lynn: What I think you were asked is what formula you are using to compute age, not what version of SQL Server.

----

edit to add link to post: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1410623.aspx

Haha - I have been avoiding that thread.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (1/24/2013)

john.arnott (1/24/2013)

Am waiting with bated breath to see if "Saint" Lynn lives up to his kind and understanding reputation. Someone stumbled on an old QOD thread about calculating a person's age in which multiple alternative solutions were offered. Summary of last few posts (previous post was months ago):

----

Until now...running for sainthood, Jase? I'm dead curious to see why he couldn't figure out how ambiguous (and irritating) his post is.

[font="Arial"]Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies[/font]

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this[/url].

Understanding and using APPLY, (I)[/url] and (II)[/url] Paul White[/url]

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

• ChrisM@home (1/24/2013)

SQLRNNR (1/24/2013)

john.arnott (1/24/2013)

----

Until now...running for sainthood, Jase? I'm dead curious to see why he couldn't figure out how ambiguous (and irritating) his post is.

Nope - not sainthood here.

Funny how that works (ambiguous questions).

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (1/24/2013)

ChrisM@home (1/24/2013)

SQLRNNR (1/24/2013)

john.arnott (1/24/2013)

----

[font="Arial"]Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies[/font]

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this[/url].

Understanding and using APPLY, (I)[/url] and (II)[/url] Paul White[/url]

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

• ChrisM@home (1/24/2013)

SQLRNNR (1/24/2013)

ChrisM@home (1/24/2013)

SQLRNNR (1/24/2013)

john.arnott (1/24/2013)

----

Are the posted answers getting worse?

Learn Extended Events

• The Dixie Flatline (1/24/2013)

Koen Verbeeck (1/23/2013)

WayneS (1/23/2013)

Koen, I like your #SQLFamily icon in your signature. You ought to put it somewhere and tweet it so others can use it also.

Actually, it's not mine. The SQL Server team themselves published them:

Show Off Your SQL Server Spirit With Community Badges

So they are already free to download and use. And there have been tweets about this 😉 😀

(the only downside is that the #sql server 2012 fan is in such a small font, you'd have to make the button quite big to be readable)

Badges? We don't need no steenkin' badges.

(On the other hand.... let me check these out.)

I liked 'em!

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/24/2013)

The Dixie Flatline (1/24/2013)

Koen Verbeeck (1/23/2013)

WayneS (1/23/2013)

Koen, I like your #SQLFamily icon in your signature. You ought to put it somewhere and tweet it so others can use it also.

Actually, it's not mine. The SQL Server team themselves published them:

Show Off Your SQL Server Spirit With Community Badges

So they are already free to download and use. And there have been tweets about this 😉 😀

(the only downside is that the #sql server 2012 fan is in such a small font, you'd have to make the button quite big to be readable)

Badges? We don't need no steenkin' badges.

(On the other hand.... let me check these out.)

I want badges here. Working to get the devs to implement them.

I want one!

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• SQLRNNR (1/24/2013)

ChrisM@home (1/24/2013)

SQLRNNR (1/24/2013)

ChrisM@home (1/24/2013)

SQLRNNR (1/24/2013)

john.arnott (1/24/2013)

----

Yes. I'm getting very tired of authoritative-sounding incorrect answers posted.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • SQLRNNR (1/24/2013)

ChrisM@home (1/24/2013)

SQLRNNR (1/24/2013)

ChrisM@home (1/24/2013)

SQLRNNR (1/24/2013)

john.arnott (1/24/2013)

----

Oh, definitel and indubitably BOTH are getting worse. Of course I've been raising the level of the answers recently, by being to busy to answer, but the rest of you (with some shining exceptions) are almost as good at lowering the level as I am.

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (1/25/2013)

... but the rest of you (with some shining exceptions) are almost as good at lowering the level as I am.

Ah-HEM. I am BETTER at lowering the level than you are, Sir.

Wait. ... Did I really just admit to that?

Crap. There goes my BS score down the tubes.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Since apparently I don't have an idea about partitioning, can someone help this poor person? 😉

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1411242-149-1.aspx

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (1/25/2013)

Since apparently I don't have an idea about partitioning, can someone help this poor person? 😉

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1411242-149-1.aspx

I gave it a shot, mostly trying to suggest a new direction.

I don't think I said "Gail is right" too often...

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Are the posted posts about the posted questions and posted answers getting posted worse-ly than previous posters posted in the posted past?

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/25/2013)

Are the posted posts about the posted questions and posted answers getting posted worse-ly than previous posters posted in the posted past?

NO, NO, NO, YES YES, YES which equals MAYBE

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 38,806 through 38,820 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply