Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Koen Verbeeck (1/23/2013)

wolfkillj (1/22/2013)

When I was doing a lot of SSRS development, I wasted so much time closing BIDS and reopening it because often that was the only way to see changes I made to the report actually show up in the Preview tab. I don't know why that would be the case, but it often is.

BIDS caches the data for the reports. There are some files you can delete (I think with the .DATA extension) to force BIDS to refresh the data.

But very frustrating indeed. I once had a report with shared datasets and subreports and I could only see the changes to the shared dataset in BIDS if I deployed everything to the server first. Very strange.

Besides the data caching, I have seen BIDS throw cautions about the schema in SSIS and it wouldn't clear without a restart of BIDS. Didn't clear the data cache with the restart (the cache file was still time stamped to before the restart of bids), but the restart got those cautions to clear.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (1/23/2013)

Koen Verbeeck (1/23/2013)

wolfkillj (1/22/2013)

When I was doing a lot of SSRS development, I wasted so much time closing BIDS and reopening it because often that was the only way to see changes I made to the report actually show up in the Preview tab. I don't know why that would be the case, but it often is.

BIDS caches the data for the reports. There are some files you can delete (I think with the .DATA extension) to force BIDS to refresh the data.

But very frustrating indeed. I once had a report with shared datasets and subreports and I could only see the changes to the shared dataset in BIDS if I deployed everything to the server first. Very strange.

Besides the data caching, I have seen BIDS throw cautions about the schema in SSIS and it wouldn't clear without a restart of BIDS. Didn't clear the data cache with the restart (the cache file was still time stamped to before the restart of bids), but the restart got those cautions to clear.

This is more like what I was describing. BIDS usually refreshed the data for SSRS reports when asked (using the button on the Preview tab), but often I would make changes to a report object that wouldn't show up on the Preview tab. I'd even check the RDL and see the change, but it wouldn't show up in the Preview and/or the error message would not clear until I closed/reopened BIDS. Same thing with SSIS packages. It was very frustrating and caused me to waste a lot of time thinking that the changes I made hadn't solved the problems when in fact they had but BIDS just didn't show the changes.

Jason Wolfkill

• wolfkillj (1/23/2013)

SQLRNNR (1/23/2013)

wolfkillj (1/22/2013)

This is more like what I was describing. BIDS usually refreshed the data for SSRS reports when asked (using the button on the Preview tab), but often I would make changes to a report object that wouldn't show up on the Preview tab. I'd even check the RDL and see the change, but it wouldn't show up in the Preview and/or the error message would not clear until I closed/reopened BIDS. Same thing with SSIS packages. It was very frustrating and caused me to waste a lot of time thinking that the changes I made hadn't solved the problems when in fact they had but BIDS just didn't show the changes.

Go to CodePlex and download BIDS Helper 1.61 - this is a good little addin.

Right Click on your Project in Solution Explorer

4th from the bottom, Delete Dataset Cache Files.

Good to know when testing revisions.

• Koen, I like your #SQLFamily icon in your signature. You ought to put it somewhere and tweet it so others can use it also.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (1/23/2013)

Koen, I like your #SQLFamily icon in your signature. You ought to put it somewhere and tweet it so others can use it also.

Actually, it's not mine. The SQL Server team themselves published them:

Show Off Your SQL Server Spirit With Community Badges

So they are already free to download and use. And there have been tweets about this πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜€

(the only downside is that the #sql server 2012 fan is in such a small font, you'd have to make the button quite big to be readable)

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Greg Edwards-268690 (1/23/2013)

Go to CodePlex and download BIDS Helper 1.61 - this is a good little addin.

Right Click on your Project in Solution Explorer

4th from the bottom, Delete Dataset Cache Files.

Good to know when testing revisions.

I have BIDS Helper installed for over 3 years now, but I still forget about that feature πŸ™‚

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• L' Eomot InversΓ© (1/22/2013)

SQLRNNR (1/21/2013)

Gianluca Sartori (1/21/2013)

On a totally unrelated note, what do you think of this person?

He's coming to Italy and my UserGroup is thinking about organising an event.

Would you pay to attend a session with him? Or would a SQLSaturday be a better fit for him?

The debate is raging on and we don't seem to come anywhere near a decision...

SQLSaturday

very much SQL Saturday and no a one-man show where people have to pay to listen to a solo performance by Pascal.

The problem is that although he talks a lot of sense he is so extremely vain (or perhaps so utterly convinced of his own infallibility) as to think that the ordinary rules of debate don't apply to him: if asked a question about one of his ideas in such a way as to convey even the slightest suggestion that the querent doesn't regard his position as divinely inspired gospel truth he will produce a reply that instead of addressing the question/issue consists of a vituperative and wholely unjustified (because utterly unjustifiable) ad hominem attack on the querent.

A lot of what he says is good solid stuff. However, a lot of what he says is very flawed.

I personally think his ideas are generally pretty useful, but I also think that anyone who claims that just about all Ted Codd's work from about 1975 onwards was heresy against the religious purity of relational theory is a self-centered idiot. And yes, I do believe that some self-centered idiots are useul and often worth listening to - there are plenty examples of the genre, although mostly not quite so exterme as FP - but I wouldn't go out of my way to pay to listen to them because sensible discussion is pretty well impossible.

I already knew he's a well know "relational troll". I didn't know he had such a bad reputation, actually.

Thanks Tom.

BTW, my UG decided not to go down this road.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Koen Verbeeck (1/23/2013)

WayneS (1/23/2013)

Koen, I like your #SQLFamily icon in your signature. You ought to put it somewhere and tweet it so others can use it also.

So they are already free to download and use. And there have been tweets about this πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜€

(the only downside is that the #sql server 2012 fan is in such a small font, you'd have to make the button quite big to be readable)

Badges? We don't need no steenkin' badges.

(On the other hand.... let me check these out.)

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• I would love the advice of anyone who has dealt with orphaned transaction files before. My post is here.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• The Dixie Flatline (1/24/2013)

WayneS (1/23/2013)

Badges? We don't need no steenkin' badges.

(On the other hand.... let me check these out.)

I want badges here. Working to get the devs to implement them.

• Badgers?

BADGERS?

We don' need no steenkin BADGERS!

πŸ˜€

(OK, the link to the Youtube video didn't work, so here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx6TBrfCW54)

• jasona.work (1/24/2013)

Badgers?

BADGERS?

We don' need no steenkin BADGERS!

πŸ˜€

(OK, the link to the Youtube video didn't work, so here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx6TBrfCW54)

You get to drink from the FIRE HOSE!!!!

Jason Wolfkill

• This is my new mop. George, my friend, he gave me this mop. This is a pretty good mop. It's not as good as my first mop. I miss my first mop, but this is still a good mop. Sometimes you just hafta take what life gives ya, 'cause life is like a mop and sometimes life gets full of dirt and crud and bugs and hairballs and stuff... you, you, you gotta clean it out. You, you, you gotta put it in here and rinse it off and start all over again and, and sometimes, sometimes life sticks to the floor so bad you know a mop, a mop, it's not good enough, it's not good enough. You, you gotta get down there, like, with a toothbrush, you know, and you gotta, you gotta really scrub 'cause you gotta get it off. You gotta really try to get it off. But if that doesn't work, that doesn't work, you can't give up. You gotta, you gotta stand right up. You, you gotta run to a window and say, "Hey! These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

Sounds like he's describing IT...

πŸ˜€

• jasona.work (1/24/2013)

This is my new mop. George, my friend, he gave me this mop. This is a pretty good mop. It's not as good as my first mop. I miss my first mop, but this is still a good mop. Sometimes you just hafta take what life gives ya, 'cause life is like a mop and sometimes life gets full of dirt and crud and bugs and hairballs and stuff... you, you, you gotta clean it out. You, you, you gotta put it in here and rinse it off and start all over again and, and sometimes, sometimes life sticks to the floor so bad you know a mop, a mop, it's not good enough, it's not good enough. You, you gotta get down there, like, with a toothbrush, you know, and you gotta, you gotta really scrub 'cause you gotta get it off. You gotta really try to get it off. But if that doesn't work, that doesn't work, you can't give up. You gotta, you gotta stand right up. You, you gotta run to a window and say, "Hey! These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

Sounds like he's describing IT...

πŸ˜€

Stanley Spadowski for president!

Jason Wolfkill

• Badges? We don't need no steenkin' badges.

I want badges here. Working to get the devs to implement them.

Be sure to have badges for "Threadizens" and "Threadheads". πŸ™‚

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

Viewing 15 posts - 38,791 through 38,805 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply