Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn Pettis (4/30/2009)[hrThat's when you put a link in each cross post to the other one. Creates a "circular reference" and will confuse everyone.

Ohh, I like that! Maybe that ought to be a standard thing to do... just something like "See this article" and post to the other?

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Florian Reischl (4/30/2009)

Hi John

I'm quiet sure that English is not her/his first language (due to the "Ja" I think he is German) but this is not the problem. I would never finger point at somebody because of bad English.

If I post a 200 line question to an international forum and I get a four line answer (two lines text) which I don't understand I have to investigate what was meant. I'm also German and I know that my English is not the best so LEO is always one of the tabs in Firefox when I'm here.

Greets

Flo

Is LEO anything like BabelFish?

• Hi Lynn

No. It's just a dictionary but the greatest I know (already 200,000 request within the last two hours).

Why? Is my English SO bad? :doze:

• Flo,

You're probably right. I guess I'm just new enough at trying to help that I give folks the benefit of the doubt. Two-hundred line post (twice), didn't make careful effort to understand Steve's response, and (as someone pointed out) somehow thought that removing a comment would fix his code. Oh, sigh.

My impression was also that he's German, but knew better than to have Garfield's claws coming at me by suggesting he PM you your native language ;-). By the way, your English is very good -- I hope you were kidding when you asked if it's "that bad".

• GilaMonster (4/30/2009)

WayneS (4/30/2009)

Gail - can you give a good answer to this?

Offhand, no, but I suspect it has something to do with Statement level recompile and/or temp table caching. I wonder if he'd see the same behaviour if two different connections were running the proc alternately.

It's temporary table caching. I have replied on the thread. Only 1pm here!

Paul

• Also, the behaviour is the same when executed alternately from different connections, even with different SET options, and different user ids- the allocated pages stored with the plan are re-used regardless.

The cached pages do not survive an ALTER PROCEDURE execution.

If more than one connection is executing the procedure concurrently then a table create is performed for the second and subsequent executions.

Paul

Hi Lynn

No. It's just a dictionary but the greatest I know (already 200,000 request within the last two hours).

Heck no! I was just remembering a thread where I was trying to help someone whose was apparently using BabelFish to translate between Spanish and English. Very frustrating, but someone took what I had written in English, put it through BabelFish to Spanish and back again. It turned into Yodaish, which explained why we were having such a difficult time communicating.

I was just wondering if Leo was a similiar program.

Flo, Ihr Englisch ist viel besser als mein Deutscher!

Hmm. Babel fish - obviously. Isn't Ihr rather formal? Should it be dein or deiner or deines or something? :unsure:

• WayneS (4/30/2009)

RBarryYoung (4/30/2009)[hrThe operation was entirely successful and I am home.

Glad to hear you're home, and good to see you back here! How long of a recovery period are they telling you?

Thanks. Two weeks.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• using BabelFish to translate between Spanish and English

Try translating via several languages and back, better than Chinese Whispers :w00t:

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• john.arnott (4/30/2009)

By the way, your English is very good -- I hope you were kidding when you asked if it's "that bad".

I would say it was a little bit of both. Since this is not my first post here and usually I don't get a "WTH do you mean?" I thought that my English would be okay. On the other hand I'm no native so I cannot know if it is okay or not. Most of my business correspondence is English but there is a huge difference between completely technical/business English and real conversations.

Thanks for your feedback!

Flo

• Lynn Pettis (4/30/2009)

Florian Reischl (4/30/2009)

Hi Lynn

Heck no! I was just remembering a thread where I was trying to help someone whose was apparently using BabelFish to translate between Spanish and English. Very frustrating, but someone took what I had written in English, put it through BabelFish to Spanish and back again. It turned into Yodaish, which explained why we were having such a difficult time communicating.

I was just wondering if Leo was a similiar program.

This is a translator a friend showed me some years ago:

http://uebersetzer.abacho.de/uebersetzer.html

No guarantee but it seems to work okay for English to German. I just tried with your post and it was understandable. Sure, some failures but much better than Google translator.

Greets

Flo

• Paul White (4/30/2009)

Florian Reischl (4/30/2009)

Flo, Ihr Englisch ist viel besser als mein Deutscher!

Hmm. Babel fish - obviously. Isn't Ihr rather formal? Should it be dein or deiner or deines or something? :unsure:

:satisfied:

Well done. Yes "Ihr" is very formal, "dein" would be more personal.

• Florian Reischl (5/1/2009)

john.arnott (4/30/2009)

By the way, your English is very good -- I hope you were kidding when you asked if it's "that bad".

I would say it was a little bit of both. Since this is not my first post here and usually I don't get a "WTH do you mean?" I thought that my English would be okay. On the other hand I'm no native so I cannot know if it is okay or not. Most of my business correspondence is English but there is a huge difference between completely technical/business English and real conversations.

Thanks for your feedback!

Flo

Your English is just fine. Trust me, I've had to deal with MUCH worse. And some of that from people who theoretically have English as their first language!

I haven't seen a single EnglishfromaGermanbackground incomprehensibility in your writing yet, and your technical knowledge more than makes up for any slight vocabulary/grammatical oddity.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I was given some written English today (from a native speaker) which looked for all the world as if it had been 256-bit AES encrypted.

I rang him instead. :Whistling:

Oddly he is quite lucid and concise on the phone.

Paul

Viewing 15 posts - 3,871 through 3,885 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply