Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GSquared (5/1/2009)

Florian Reischl (5/1/2009)

john.arnott (4/30/2009)

By the way, your English is very good -- I hope you were kidding when you asked if it's "that bad".

I would say it was a little bit of both. Since this is not my first post here and usually I don't get a "WTH do you mean?" I thought that my English would be okay. On the other hand I'm no native so I cannot know if it is okay or not. Most of my business correspondence is English but there is a huge difference between completely technical/business English and real conversations.

Thanks for your feedback!

Flo

Your English is just fine. Trust me, I've had to deal with MUCH worse. And some of that from people who theoretically have English as their first language!

I haven't seen a single EnglishfromaGermanbackground incomprehensibility in your writing yet, and your technical knowledge more than makes up for any slight vocabulary/grammatical oddity.

Thanks a bunch, Gus!

• Hey Steve...

I was (quickly) moving my mouse to go to the link to move to the next page on this thread, and a little popup window came up to "Jump to Page" where I could enter the page I wanted to go to.

Hmmm, I've been wanting that feature. But, how do you get it? I can't find out how to get that to come up again.

Thanks,

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Click on the posts, page x of y bit.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• WayneS (5/1/2009)

Hey Steve...

I was (quickly) moving my mouse to go to the link to move to the next page on this thread, and a little popup window came up to "Jump to Page" where I could enter the page I wanted to go to.

Hmmm, I've been wanting that feature. But, how do you get it? I can't find out how to get that to come up again.

Thanks,

You left click on the n Posts, Page n of N.

• Florian Reischl (5/1/2009)

GSquared (5/1/2009)

Florian Reischl (5/1/2009)

john.arnott (4/30/2009)

By the way, your English is very good -- I hope you were kidding when you asked if it's "that bad".

I would say it was a little bit of both. Since this is not my first post here and usually I don't get a "WTH do you mean?" I thought that my English would be okay. On the other hand I'm no native so I cannot know if it is okay or not. Most of my business correspondence is English but there is a huge difference between completely technical/business English and real conversations.

Thanks for your feedback!

Flo

Your English is just fine. Trust me, I've had to deal with MUCH worse. And some of that from people who theoretically have English as their first language!

I haven't seen a single EnglishfromaGermanbackground incomprehensibility in your writing yet, and your technical knowledge more than makes up for any slight vocabulary/grammatical oddity.

Thanks a bunch, Gus!

Just click on the part that give the post counts and number of pages.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• A feature is officially intuitive if it takes fewer than 5 posts from senior members to explain how to click on it.

:laugh:

• Flo, no need to worry about your English. Aside from your name (which isn't a common American name but then, that doesn't mean much either), I would think English was your primary language. Of course, some cultural terms or slang might trip you up, but that's what Google is for right? 😉

Well done and congrats on learning English so well. My heart goes out to anyone who learns English as a second language, as a mish-mash of so many other languages (as English borrowed shamelessly from everyone), it can be pretty rough.

-- Kit

• Hey, that's a cool feature! Hadn't seen that before.

There's a lot (too much, IMHO) JS on the pages with features.

• yeah just try navigating this site with NoScript blocking all of it... you can't get anywhere.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Lynn Pettis (4/29/2009)

GilaMonster (4/29/2009)

Bruce W Cassidy (4/29/2009)

[font="Verdana"]International Star Wars day... "May the 4th be with you."[/font]

*groan*

Hmmm, we were discussing having another Starwars day.....

Now for something totally the same...

How many people, besides myself, here on The Thread saw the original theatrical release of Star Wars when it was first released?

I was too little (ya old fogies!) for the first couple, but I saw Return of the Jedi in the theatre. I still can't believe that there are people who have never seen these movies.

Actually, my wife and I just started watching the six-ology in the edition order, not the release order. I wanted to plop my @$$ down and do it in one weekend, but she's not up for all that 😛

Silly question, but you guys read any of the spinoff books by Kevin Anderson et al? I enjoyed some of those as much or more than the movies, although some are just awful. My favorite was one where Luke battles a cloned Jedi, who has gone over to the dark side, and the bad guy just uses the force to cause Luke's heart to fail. Of course, it ultimately doesn't kill him because he can use the midichlorians from the surrounding environment to repair the damage, but innovative. (IMHO)

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (5/1/2009)

Lynn Pettis (4/29/2009)

GilaMonster (4/29/2009)

Bruce W Cassidy (4/29/2009)

[font="Verdana"]International Star Wars day... "May the 4th be with you."[/font]

*groan*

Hmmm, we were discussing having another Starwars day.....

Now for something totally the same...

How many people, besides myself, here on The Thread saw the original theatrical release of Star Wars when it was first released?

I was too little (ya old fogies!) for the first couple, but I saw Return of the Jedi in the theatre. I still can't believe that there are people who have never seen these movies.

Actually, my wife and I just started watching the six-ology in the edition order, not the release order. I wanted to plop my @$$ down and do it in one weekend, but she's not up for all that 😛

Silly question, but you guys read any of the spinoff books by Kevin Anderson et al? I enjoyed some of those as much or more than the movies, although some are just awful. My favorite was one where Luke battles a cloned Jedi, who has gone over to the dark side, and the bad guy just uses the force to cause Luke's heart to fail. Of course, it ultimately doesn't kill him because he can use the midichlorians from the surrounding environment to repair the damage, but innovative. (IMHO)

Nope, I haven't read any of Kevin Adnerson's Star Wars books. I have read his Saga of the Seven Suns (awesome books, IMHO), and the Dune books co-authored with Brian Herbert (also, very good books, IMHO).

• jcrawf02 (5/1/2009)

Silly question, but you guys read any of the spinoff books by Kevin Anderson et al?

I've read quite a few. The Jedi Academy trilogy I found very good, as well as the Thrawn trilogy (can't recall if that had another name). "Courtship of Princess Leia" was very good. I sold a lot to the second hand bookshop when I had a clean out a couple years back, so I don't have many left. I tried the New Jedi Order series, but gave up around book 6. Too many books, not riveting enough.

One thing I want to get sometime is the graphical novel series "Tales of the Jedi", which covers the period of the Great Sith War. It's a fascinating period of the Starwars history.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Steve Jones - Editor (5/1/2009)

Hey, that's a cool feature! Hadn't seen that before.

I guess it's a good thing that I didn't ask you how to get to it 🙂 Oh wait... I did:w00t:

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (5/1/2009)

Steve Jones - Editor (5/1/2009)

Hey, that's a cool feature! Hadn't seen that before.

I guess it's a good thing that I didn't ask you how to get to it 🙂 Oh wait... I did:w00t:

Well, as Paul said, it is intuitive. I mean, look, you got 3 answers within 6 minutes of posting your question. 😉

• I haven't read any of those. When I saw it was blossoming into so many books, I decided I didn't need the hassle of having to get the latest novel just to keep current.

You know, I had an argument with someone who said Boba Fett was more badass than Vader. And he based his conclusion on the series that includes him (don't remember the name of the series). This was before the prequels, but he just refused to see that Vader was more dangerous and more powerful than Fett.

In the prequels, Boba Fett's dad gets dispatched by Mace without mussing a hair on his head. (Yes, I know Mace is bald.) Obi-Wan has a problem with him, but that's because Obi-Wan wants him alive and talking.

But he just would not get that a Jedi (light or dark) is no match for a mortal.

-- Kit

Viewing 15 posts - 3,886 through 3,900 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply