Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Thanks, Roy.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Sorry for disturbing the silence of The Thread but I have to get this off my chest...

I HATE EXCEL!! I'm about to finish my first article and want to insert some nice graphics but I'm currently feelin' like a completely idiot with that. This is no request for help with Excel, though.

Now I'm feeling better!

• Florian Reischl (5/3/2009)

Sorry for disturbing the silence of The Thread but I have to get this off my chest...

I HATE EXCEL!! I'm about to finish my first article and want to insert some nice graphics but I'm currently feelin' like a completely idiot with that. This is no request for help with Excel, though.

Now I'm feeling better!

Me too. I hate it even more since they came out with Office 2007.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• So, denizens of The Thread, when do you think we'll hit 4,000 posts?

Only with Threadarhoea

Who actually takes the time to read the documentation any way?

Heck, who actually takes the time to write the documentation any way? 😛

p.s. Welcome back Barry, glad you're OK.

(Feel a stone lighter :w00t: )

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

I HATE EXCEL!!

[font="Verdana"]It's the wave of the future. Get in touch with your inner Excel. Who needs SQL Server when you can have... dum dum dum... Spreadmarts![/font]

I HATE EXCEL!!

Count yourself lucky.

One of my current jobs is to redesign and transfer a database to SQL Server - from Access 2007 :w00t:

Flame-retardant coating: It is possible to do great stuff with Access, this just isn't a shining example.

Current favourite feature: dates from the ninth century (typos) which really don't fit well with DATETIME.

Paul

• Paul White (5/3/2009)

Current favourite feature: dates from the ninth century (typos) which really don't fit well with DATETIME.

[font="Verdana"]I'll see your 9th century date and raise you one in 20009.[/font]

• Bruce W Cassidy (5/3/2009)

[font="Verdana"]I'll see your 9th century date and raise you one in 20009.[/font]

Eeeek! :pinch:

User-developed Access databases with no validation make baby Jesus cry...

• Paul White (5/3/2009)

User-developed Access databases with no validation make baby Jesus cry...

[font="Verdana"]This was from an Excel spreadsheet. I love Excel. Really I do. Honest. (Is it working yet?)[/font]

• Dave Smith (5/1/2009)

I heard about his death. I loved Crash and the Atrocity Exhibition. I also read the REsearch books that featured his interviews and short fiction. In my Science Fiction class in college, Ballard was one of my prof's favorites. I think Terminal Beach was the first story of his that I read.

I actually liked the Cronenberg film, but then I'm biased, as I like pretty much all of his films, Videodrome most of all.

I will admit though that the film is deficient in instrument binnacle references...

I loved Videodrome. I wrote three papers on the movie while I was at film school. I'm a huge Cronenberg fan. I thought he would have been perfect, but I thought he made the movie far too clinical and not nearly as... slimy? as it should have been.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Sorry for disturbing the silence of The Thread but I have to get this off my chest...

Now I'm feeling better!

Right there with you brother. It's the one software I've just never even tried to learn more about. I avoid it like it had swine flu.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Hate to be contrarian here .... nah, honestly, I enjoy being contrarian .... but I like Excel. It's useful and gets the job done.

If there's anything to hate on the subject, it's usually the people who misuse Excel/Access/SQL Server/whatever.

Best misuse of Office I've seen yet was essentially a semi-relational database implemented in Word documents. Had a customer list set up as a table of contents, and each "chapter" was the customer's data: address, phone, etc., then "sections" for order data. So you could navigate the thing with mouse-clicks, Word would maintain the "indexes" (table of contents) for you (it can be set to do that pretty easily), looking stuff up was Ctrl-F. No relational integrity, no data types, no transactions, and so on, but for a 3-person office it worked. The collaberation tools (merging document modifications) were used for synching data between multiple users.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I've gotta agree with Gus on this one. Excel is a great tool, the problem is that it gets used in ways it shouldn't. Workbooks with lookups to other workbooks simulating RI for one.

Ahh, invalid dates, you have to love them. I have been working on migrating data from a Foxpro application to SQL Server and the Fox app has no date validation so I have birth dates from as far back as 0007.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• I like Excel too. For a while, I even used it as a word processor (that was many, many, many years ago). Got really good at formatting stuff so it looked nice. Although, I have to admit Excel's formatting of date/time entries is something to pull one's hair out over.

Word however... if you hear me cursing in my cubicle, it's me cursing at Word because it's formatting something the way it THINKS I want it formatted rather than the way I REALLY want it formatted. I've become a master at getting Word to do what -I- want it to do, rather than what the programmers think (or don't think) I want it to do.

It is rather amusing to be the master of a program you hate (although, I like Word 2007 so far, just need to learn where they hide everything). But Word 2003 and below... there are times when I want to strangle the designers for not allowing me to do what I want.

-- Kit

• Excel is not bad.... The main thing is that the Accountants and Marketing personnels love Excel. They need to see some graph. I am not sure if they know how to look at the graph and figure out what it means, bit they love it.

-Roy

Viewing 15 posts - 3,931 through 3,945 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply