Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I think Excel is great in single sheets, or maybe a couple simple links.

Once you start to go beyond that, it can become a huge mess. I spent months untangling an "inventory" system that someone had put into 3 workbooks across a dozen or so sheets that started to flake constantly when it was opened.

Works great for invoices as well, much better than Word 🙂

• I've seen excel used in great ways and like others have said. It's works well when used properly but when sued poorly it can become a real beast.

One of the more interesting uses of it that I've seen have been applications written using vba inside of excel. I can't find it just now, but IBM used to have an excel spreadsheet that stepped you through spec-ing out a server and then gave you a quote at the end of it. From an end-user perspective I found it worked quite well, however I'm not sure that I would have wanted to try to code/maintain it down the road.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Luke L (5/4/2009)

It's works well when used properly but when sued poorly it can become a real beast.

Wow, I know the US legal system's weird, but I didn't realise it had got to the point where you can sue an application....

😀

Sorry Luke, couldn't resist.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (5/4/2009)

Luke L (5/4/2009)

It's works well when used properly but when sued poorly it can become a real beast.

Wow, I know the US legal system's weird, but I didn't realise it had got to the point where you can sue an application....

😀

Not only that. The application then becomes a real beast? Is that a self defense mode?

😀

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Yet another reason to grant legal entity status to AIs... 😉

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• GilaMonster (5/4/2009)

Luke L (5/4/2009)

😀

Sorry Luke, couldn't resist.

Sad thing was I noticed the reversal after the post went live and I just didn't feel the need to correct it.

Ahh well, I suppose I deserve it.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (5/4/2009)

GilaMonster (5/4/2009)

Luke L (5/4/2009)

😀

Not only that. The application then becomes a real beast? Is that a self defense mode?

😀

I believe that's technically know as Cyber-Lycanthropy. 😛

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at PASS in Seattle...

And his code was perfect....

Ahoooooooooooo

Werewolves of SQL

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious (5/4/2009)

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at PASS in Seattle...

Ahoooooooooooo

Werewolves of SQL

Uh,oh, copyright infringement, Warren's not gonna like that. Better send Lawyers, Guns and Money. 🙂

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• Bob Hovious (5/4/2009)

Ahoooooooooooo

Werewolves of SQL

What?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (5/4/2009)

Bob Hovious (5/4/2009)

Ahoooooooooooo

Werewolves of SQL

What?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werewolves_of_London

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GilaMonster (5/4/2009)

Bob Hovious (5/4/2009)

Ahoooooooooooo

Werewolves of SQL

What?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wiki+warren+zevon&l=1

• RBarryYoung (5/4/2009)

Bob Hovious (5/4/2009)

Ahoooooooooooo

Werewolves of SQL

Uh,oh, copyright infringement, Warren's not gonna like that. Better send Lawyers, Guns and Money. 🙂

Not sure he'll mind as he passed in 03. His estate, well that's a different story...

-Luke.

• Luke L (5/4/2009)

RBarryYoung (5/4/2009)

Bob Hovious (5/4/2009)

Ahoooooooooooo

Werewolves of SQL

Not sure he'll mind as he passed in 03. His estate, well that's a different story...

-Luke.

True, but Barry's reference is still amusing.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Luke L (5/4/2009)

RBarryYoung (5/4/2009)

Bob Hovious (5/4/2009)

Ahoooooooooooo

Werewolves of SQL

-Luke.

Oh man that's right! Dang, I've had my head buried in code so long that I forgot. Ah well, one less excitable boy in the world, ... 🙁

[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 3,946 through 3,960 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply