Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Well I thought that was a new one, but it seemed interesting with the update from the OP.

Definitely some creativity at work there.

• john.arnott (5/4/2009)

Zevon was a marvelous songwriter. I expected you, Gail, to maybe be familiar with "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner" as it tells a story set on your continent, one of a mercenary in the Congo wars of the 1960's. In my book, his work is up there with Springsteen, Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan for imagery and sharply drawn characterizations -- well worth the effort to get familiar with.

I know the song, was still in my highschool years while in Austria when Werewoles of London hit the top of the charts. But Roland the Headless... I can't remember. And BTW, just because someone lives in Africa doesn't mean one gets to hear (and remember) all the songs that somewhere have or had any relation to Africa. Hard to keep up with them sometimes. In fact, in the good old days :w00t: songs like "Gimme Hope Joannah" were banned from this country (SA), so one didn't get to hear them. I sent it on cassette to my then girlfriend (and now wife and mother of our three buggers) in Cape Town, feeling a bit scared as to what might happen to her if the packet was intercepted. Well, nothing happened to her, and we are still happily lving down here, enjoying the place. AND the music in this part of the world is REALLY great. Come over if you don't believe it πŸ™‚

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• john.arnott (5/4/2009)

David Webb (5/4/2009)

I got $10 that says he deleted the table and believes he can recreate it from the views.

:hehe:ROFL:hehe:

But I ain't taking that bet either...

Should have taken the bet. The OP indicated that there are several tables in SQL Server 2000 database with more than 250 columns. To replicate them, he created indexed views to vertically partition the tables and allow them to be replicated. Now he needs to pull them together on the subscriber.

• Jan Van der Eecken (5/4/2009)

...And BTW, just because someone lives in Africa doesn't mean one gets to hear (and remember) all the songs that somewhere have or had any relation to Africa. Hard to keep up with them sometimes. In fact, in the good old days :w00t: songs like "Gimme Hope Joannah" were banned from this country (SA), so one didn't get to hear them. I sent it on cassette to my then girlfriend (and now wife and mother of our three buggers) in Cape Town, feeling a bit scared as to what might happen to her if the packet was intercepted. Well, nothing happened to her, and we are still happily lving down here, enjoying the place. AND the music in this part of the world is REALLY great. Come over if you don't believe it πŸ™‚

Cool. Is next Tuesday good for you guys?

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Folks:

I posted my first Microsoft CONNECT suggestion yesterday. It's suggestion #440375 entitled "Add Query-based bulk EXECUTE", you can find it here. Please support this suggestion by rating and/or voting for it.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Sure, just gimme a shout when you are at the airport.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Darn it. I missed it by one day.

My one chance this year to say to RBarryYoung: "May the 4th be with you"

:crying:

• GilaMonster (5/4/2009)

Luke L (5/4/2009)

Or perhaps that seeing the name might be enough to jog your memory, although I wasn't sure since you're from South Africa. Not sure how much airplay he would have gotten down there.

Wouldn't know. Probably a fair bit but too long ago for me to remember. The name's familiar, but I've never heard the song.

Some time ago, the BBC Radio 2 lunchtime show hosted by Jeremy Vine had a phone in to find the best opening lines of all time.

And the winner was...

"Saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand, walking through the streets of Soho in the rain, he was looking for a place called Lee Ho Fook's, going to get a big dish of beef chow mein"

- Werewolves of London, Warren Zevon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/vine/openinglines.shtml

The studio discussion included Michael Lamb, Manager, Lee Ho Fook Restaurant, Soho, London! πŸ™‚

Derek

• Ok, I stayed away from this thread so far and it looks like it's about a lot of other things not related to the quality of the questions but I can resist to point to this one:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic710052-146-1.aspx

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• Derek Dongray (5/5/2009)

Some time ago, the BBC Radio 2 lunchtime show hosted by Jeremy Vine had a phone in to find the best opening lines of all time.

And the winner was...

"Saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand, walking through the streets of Soho in the rain, he was looking for a place called Lee Ho Fook's, going to get a big dish of beef chow mein"

- Werewolves of London, Warren Zevon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/vine/openinglines.shtml

The studio discussion included Michael Lamb, Manager, Lee Ho Fook Restaurant, Soho, London! πŸ™‚

Passed by it many times between '98 and '05 when this area was a favourite weekend haunt. The restaurant's closed now. There's an oriental shop to the right which is excellent for those hard-to-source goodies like fermented black beans, fresh lime leaves, holy basil, durian etc. We used to frequent the restaurant on the other side of the street, forgotten what it's called now but it was recommended by a Mr R Stein - expensive but excellent. When less flush we used to visit the one next door to De Hems on Macclesfield St, it has a memorable eel, pork & duck stew. Then of course at the end of the month it was Won Kei's, famous for the rude waiter experience.

The whole area around Gerrard Street and Macclesfield Street has a permanent aroma of roasting duck & five spice mingled with crab with ginger and spring onion. Beware - if you find yourself at one of those tall tables outside De Hems sipping a Belgian beer in the sun and peoplewatching the tourists and the Chinese labourers, you can guarantee it won't be long before you find your belly rumbling.

They used to play great music at De Hems, including this song.

Blimey, is this homesickness? Hairs are sprouting on the back of me hands while I'm typing...

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• MarkusB (5/5/2009)

Ok, I stayed away from this thread so far and it looks like it's about a lot of other things not related to the quality of the questions but I can resist to point to this one:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic710052-146-1.aspx

Hi Markus

Welcome πŸ™‚

I also saw this. Sometimes I'm not sure if it would be better to talk myself into "This was a Bot...".

Greets

Flo

• Then you have those that would bite the hand that is trying to feed them.

• You're way too nice Lynn. I would've walked away. If I need people yelling at me when I'm trying to help, I can go home & help the kids with their homework.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Lynn Pettis (5/5/2009)

Then you have those that would bite the hand that is trying to feed them.

Are you sure he was shouting deliberately?

His posts seemed quite amiable up to that point, and he had already said that he had updated his post (in small letters).

Possible CAPS LOCK issue?

Possibly just trying to make sure the helpers in the thread noticed?

He is a newbie - so he may not even be aware that people take exception TO BEING SHOUTED AT!

Dunno - I'm just wondering...

Paul

• Then you have those that would bite the hand that is trying to feed them.

Lucky for the OP that is was not Jeff, Pork Chops at the ready in both hands methinks :laugh:

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

Viewing 15 posts - 3,976 through 3,990 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply