Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Luke L (5/4/2009)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wiki+warren+zevon&l=1

Be nice. 😉

I'd have googled it if I'd had a clue what to google for.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (5/4/2009)

Luke L (5/4/2009)

Be nice. 😉

Yeah, take it easy on Gail, she can't help it if she is too young to be familiar with Warren Zevon.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• GilaMonster (5/4/2009)

Luke L (5/4/2009)

Be nice. 😉

'Tis why I didn't make the link clickable :Whistling:

Figured you'd just pick out the search string. Or perhaps that seeing the name might be enough to jog your memory, although I wasn't sure since you're from South Africa. Not sure how much airplay he would have gotten down there.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Gail,

Warren Zevon was a singer/songwriter who died a few years ago. One of his greatest hits was a song called "Werewolves of London", which I just parodied. Parodies are usually not considered copyright infringement. The actual lyrics were:

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's... and his hair was perfect.

"Lawyers, Guns, and Money" was my favorite song that he wrote, followed closely by "Excitable Boy", which as Jimmy Buffett might say is a love song from a different point of view. Third favorite is "Keep Me In Your Heart For A While" which he did while dying of cancer.

Next week.... Randy Newman.

Bob

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• First, let me clarify that I learned about lmgtfy from another poster on SSC (name unknown); but it looks like I've created a monster by using it myself as it seems others are join in the fun... 😉

• Bob Hovious (5/4/2009)

Gail,

Warren Zevon was a singer/songwriter who died a few years ago. One of his greatest hits was a song called "Werewolves of London", which I just parodied. Parodies are usually not considered copyright infringement. The actual lyrics were:

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colad at Trader Vic's... and his hair was perfect.

"Lawyers, Guns, and Money" was my favorite song that he wrote, followed closely by "Excitable Boy", which as Jimmy Buffett might say is a love song from a different point of view. Third favorite is "Keep Me In Your Heart For A While" which he did while dying of cancer.

Bob

Or "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner." I loved that one.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Lynn Pettis (5/4/2009)

First, let me clarify that I learned about lmgtfy from another poster on SSC (name unknown); but it looks like I've created a monster by using it myself as it seems others are join in the fun... 😉

Gotta say it's probably one of the best uses of the google API's to date.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Luke L (5/4/2009)

Or perhaps that seeing the name might be enough to jog your memory, although I wasn't sure since you're from South Africa. Not sure how much airplay he would have gotten down there.

Wouldn't know. Probably a fair bit but too long ago for me to remember. The name's familiar, but I've never heard the song.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Grant Fritchey (5/4/2009)

Bob Hovious (5/4/2009)

Gail,

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colad at Trader Vic's... and his hair was perfect.

Bob

Or "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner." I loved that one.

Yeah, Roland was one of my favorites too. He just had so many good songs.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Zevon was a marvelous songwriter. I expected you, Gail, to maybe be familiar with "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner" as it tells a story set on your continent, one of a mercenary in the Congo wars of the 1960's. In my book, his work is up there with Springsteen, Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan for imagery and sharply drawn characterizations -- well worth the effort to get familiar with.

• Anyone else as confused as me about this one?

• I got lost there.... :crazy:

And Lynn, Thanks for the comment on my article 🙂

-Roy

• Lynn Pettis (5/4/2009)

Anyone else as confused as me about this one?

I'm assuming you mean anyone other than the OP, who is at least as confused as you are.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I got $10 that says he deleted the table and believes he can recreate it from the views.

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• David Webb (5/4/2009)

I got $10 that says he deleted the table and believes he can recreate it from the views.

:hehe:ROFL:hehe:

But I ain't taking that bet either...

Viewing 15 posts - 3,961 through 3,975 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply