Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (7/2/2013)

Brandie, you can be sooo evil. πŸ™‚

Hee. If he can be vague, so can I. @=)

EDIT: Oh, wait. You meant the OTHER post. (I am cackling right now. Is that bad?)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• GilaMonster (7/2/2013)

Brandie, you can be sooo evil. πŸ™‚

If that's the thread I think it is, I think she was very kind and gentle. You should see what one person I know wrote to a prima-donna programmer who demanded root privilege on one of the departmental Unix servers, and a few weeks after having been granted it (as the only way to get him to shut up) tried to clean up one of his own directories by running rm -r *

By the way, I loved your comment there just a quarter of an hour less than a day ago. Decided to stay out of it because I couldn't contribute anything helpful (I doubted if anyone could, it looked like one would have to choose between being unhelpful because reply was insufficiently technical, being unhelpful because reply was incomprehensible to OP, or giving keystroke by keystroke instructions interactively - which I imagine no-one would do on this website).

Tom

• L' Eomot InversΓ© (7/2/2013)

You should see what one person I know wrote to a prima-donna programmer who demanded root privilege on one of the departmental Unix servers, and a few weeks after having been granted it (as the only way to get him to shut up) tried to clean up one of his own directories by running rm -r *

Surely an "f" is also needed to make that particularly damaging, unless they're really inept enough to confirm each individual delete? πŸ˜›

• Lynn Pettis (7/1/2013)

Just dropping by to let you know where I am.

I made it to Bagram last night but looks like I get to hang out here another day (at least) before heading on to Kabul.

Just a piece of advice for those you have never travelled military air, you really have nothing to complain about. When you have to load and unload your own baggage from the plane you begin to appreciate what they do for you.

Glad the trip is going well Lynn. Regarding baggage: I usually travel light enough that knowing they DIDN'T lose my luggage would be a bonus most of the time.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• HowardW (7/2/2013)

L' Eomot InversΓ© (7/2/2013)

You should see what one person I know wrote to a prima-donna programmer who demanded root privilege on one of the departmental Unix servers, and a few weeks after having been granted it (as the only way to get him to shut up) tried to clean up one of his own directories by running rm -r *

Surely an "f" is also needed to make that particularly damaging, unless they're really inept enough to confirm each individual delete? πŸ˜›

That depends on how your shell is configured. Ordinarily the f flag on rm means "suppress certain error/warning messages" (don't ask me which messages, it's too long since I last used Unix, but the effect is as if it includes the confirmation prompts requested by an i flag). Some shells (certainly C-shell, and at least one other) allow things to be set up so that rm is interpreted as rm -i (-i means prompt for confirmation for each deleted file or directory), but by default they don't interpret rm like that, it does require special setup. When the setup is such that rm is treated as rm -i, rm -f is treated as rm -i -f, and confirmation prompts are warning messages that -f suppresses; I imagine you are used to a shell set up like that so that you expect getting confirmation prompts to be the default. Maybe a lot of people set the shell up like that these days, but it was fairly uncommon way back when, so rm -r * with root privilege could be pretty drastic with or without the f.

Of course since 7 or 8 years ago several Unix systems refuse to allow rm -r / no longer works in some versions of Unix (I think Solaris was the first to so this) and about the same time .GNU acquired a configuration option to disallow rm -r /, so in modern systems rm -r * will not delete anything closer to the root node of filestore than the files in the current directory, which means that in many systems it can do an awful lot less damage than it could at earlier times. So that way for sysadmins to destroy there system is now much less commonly available than it used to be.

Tom

• Lynn Pettis (7/1/2013)

Just dropping by to let you know where I am.

I made it to Bagram last night but looks like I get to hang out here another day (at least) before heading on to Kabul.

Just a piece of advice for those you have never travelled military air, you really have nothing to complain about. When you have to load and unload your own baggage from the plane you begin to appreciate what they do for you.

I'm betting you don't have to undergo a strip search while walking through an x-ray scanner either.

Of course, terrorists rarely fly on planes loaded with trained killers. πŸ˜›

In case I didn't say it before, good luck in the trenches and stay safe!

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• So, anyone else rather annoyed at MS for announcing that they're going to end the Technet Subscriptions?

For those of us who are either jack-of-all-trades or just geeks who like to play with the most current tech (and to stay ahead of the curve) this is a kick in the 'nads. For the full on professionals who used this to eval products for large environments, this is more like a kick to the 'nads, a boot to the head, a punch to the gut, and a face full of dirt...

As many people have pointed out on the Technet forums, a 30- or 180-day eval ain't going to cut it for complex environments, or learning the guts of something new...

Me? Quite annoyed, going to voice my displeasure in the Technet forums (courtesously of course) when I get home tonight...

• jasona.work (7/3/2013)

So, anyone else rather annoyed at MS for announcing that they're going to end the Technet Subscriptions?

For those of us who are either jack-of-all-trades or just geeks who like to play with the most current tech (and to stay ahead of the curve) this is a kick in the 'nads. For the full on professionals who used this to eval products for large environments, this is more like a kick to the 'nads, a boot to the head, a punch to the gut, and a face full of dirt...

As many people have pointed out on the Technet forums, a 30- or 180-day eval ain't going to cut it for complex environments, or learning the guts of something new...

Me? Quite annoyed, going to voice my displeasure in the Technet forums (courtesously of course) when I get home tonight...

I don't care much, but I do understand this makes it hard for general professionals to test things. I might push your company to get MSDN for that reason. I've usually been able to convince people to do this.

I understand the MS reasons, with people selling the keys to others, giving them to family for Office, etc. I wish they'd change it and make a TechNet sub that only includes the server level stuff, and let people test with WinServer the various features.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/3/2013)

jasona.work (7/3/2013)

So, anyone else rather annoyed at MS for announcing that they're going to end the Technet Subscriptions?

I don't care much, but I do understand this makes it hard for general professionals to test things. I might push your company to get MSDN for that reason. I've usually been able to convince people to do this.

I understand the MS reasons, with people selling the keys to others, giving them to family for Office, etc. I wish they'd change it and make a TechNet sub that only includes the server level stuff, and let people test with WinServer the various features.

But, the issue with going to MSDN with server products is going to be the cost. Technet was about $400 new, while an MSDN OS is $700. If the IT guy needs access to Office products? $6000...

For myself, I've used my Technet to stay on top of new MS technologies. Now, at my current employer the pace of change is a *LOT* slower, but I'd much rather be able to stay ahead of the game just in case a career change comes up... Sure, I could use the trial versions, but doing this on my own time, at home, at my own pace means I might need to reload a VM 3-4 times because it keeps timing out...

Looking over the posts on the Technet feedback forum, there's a lot of small-shop IT guys (sound like consultants) who don't need / don't want the developer stuff in MSDN, need the access to the back-catalog products (how do we update this client from Windows XP / Server 2003 / Exchange 6 to Win7 / Serv2012 / Exchange 2013 with minimal pain?) which to get you need the expensive MSDN subscription...

Ah well, I'm sure I'll either figure something (legal) out, or MS will create a new subscription level in MSDN, or MS will revamp the Technet subscription...

• I agree the cost is an issue. Investing $400 v $1000 is different. If you can get MSDN for $700, that's good, but I thought it was always $1500+. I don't remember the OS only one, but I see it there.

I do think it would be nice to get a "sysadmin" level, that includes some limited stuff, or some type of flexibility for the sysadmin to test, but not the exposure for people selling the licenses. Maybe they should license by email.

• I'm still at work 2 hours past leaving time. And going to get caught in rush hour traffic. JOY. :crying:

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• You *KNOW* it's going to be a slow day when you get in at your normal time, and get front-row parking...

I could've driven a golf ball across the parking lot without worrying about hitting a car...

Going to be a lllooonnnggg day I think...

• jasona.work (7/5/2013)

You *KNOW* it's going to be a slow day when you get in at your normal time, and get front-row parking...

I could've driven a golf ball across the parking lot without worrying about hitting a car...

Today I was sitting in the lunch room with just 1 other colleague.

But I like working during the summer holiday: less traffic and less people nagging on my head πŸ˜€

Anyway, been absent of the thread for quite some time due to some deadlines. Did I miss anything?

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (7/5/2013)

jasona.work (7/5/2013)

You *KNOW* it's going to be a slow day when you get in at your normal time, and get front-row parking...

But I like working during the summer holiday: less traffic and less people nagging on my head πŸ˜€

Anyway, been absent of the thread for quite some time due to some deadlines. Did I miss anything?

I think a few dozen pages ago, Gail announced she was going to switch to using NoSQL and MySQL and Steve announced he was going to switch the back-end of the site over to Oracle...

But other than that, no, nothing really...

:hehe:

• jasona.work (7/5/2013)

Koen Verbeeck (7/5/2013)

jasona.work (7/5/2013)

I think a few dozen pages ago, Gail announced she was going to switch to using NoSQL and MySQL and Steve announced he was going to switch the back-end of the site over to Oracle...

But other than that, no, nothing really...

:hehe:

Ah ok, just the usual then πŸ™‚

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Viewing 15 posts - 40,426 through 40,440 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply