Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Grant Fritchey (7/15/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (7/15/2013)

hvermaak (7/15/2013)

GilaMonster (7/15/2013)

One of the worries I have when travelling is that I have my passport, ID book and driver's licence with me all at the same time. It's one of the very few times I will have all three on me (ID book and passport are usually locked away at home)

Getting a new passport will be problem enough, getting a new driver's licence requires an ID book and getting a new ID book can take months...

All right. I'll bite. What is an ID book? (ID I understand, but they made a whole book out of it?)

HI Brandie,

It is a scaled down version of a passport. It use to contain drivers and gun licenses. Marriage certificates etc but ID Books are falling away and are going to be replaced by a chip card much like the american social security cards

Thanks for the explanation.

Though American social security cards don't have chips. They're just little paper cards.

Little paper cards that no one has. I lost mine before I went into the Navy, which was before some of you were born.

I still have my original one from 82-83. It is right next to my expired passport in my fireproof safe.

--EDIT--

I maybe should clarify, at that time you did not get or need a social security number until you were going to start in the work force. Unlike today where newborns are given an SSN at birth.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (7/15/2013)

Grant Fritchey (7/15/2013)

hvermaak (7/15/2013)

GilaMonster (7/15/2013)

One of the worries I have when travelling is that I have my passport, ID book and driver's licence with me all at the same time. It's one of the very few times I will have all three on me (ID book and passport are usually locked away at home)

Getting a new passport will be problem enough, getting a new driver's licence requires an ID book and getting a new ID book can take months...

All right. I'll bite. What is an ID book? (ID I understand, but they made a whole book out of it?)

HI Brandie,

It is a scaled down version of a passport. It use to contain drivers and gun licenses. Marriage certificates etc but ID Books are falling away and are going to be replaced by a chip card much like the american social security cards

Though American social security cards don't have chips. They're just little paper cards.

Little paper cards that no one has. I lost mine before I went into the Navy, which was before some of you were born.

I still have my original one from 82-83. It is right next to my expired passport in my fireproof safe.

--EDIT--

I maybe should clarify, at that time you did not get or need a social security number until you were going to start in the work force. Unlike today where newborns are given an SSN at birth.

I still have my Social Security card that I got when I got my first job as a teenager. Much like Gail's out-of-date photo in her ID book, my signature on the card looks like a 14-year-old's handwriting - very unlike how my signature looks now.

I've always been amused that the Social Security card itself isn't good for much of anything (as somebody mentioned, it's not proof of identity) and about the only time anyone cares to see it is when they have to verify eligibility for employment - and even then, it's only valid for that purpose when accompanied by an approved form of ID. For my current job, I didn't bother dredging up the Social Security card - I just presented my passport, which is sufficient as both ID and proof of citizenship for employment purposes.

Jason Wolfkill

hvermaak (7/15/2013)

GilaMonster (7/15/2013)

HI Brandie,

Really? I've had mine in my wallet since age 16. I lost it once and had it replaced immediately. Maybe I got into the habit because I'm a consultant (and was a temp before that) and whenever you get a job, they require license and SS Card for the paperwork.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (7/15/2013)

hvermaak (7/15/2013)

GilaMonster (7/15/2013)

HI Brandie,

Really? I've had mine in my wallet since age 16. I lost it once and had it replaced immediately. Maybe I got into the habit because I'm a consultant (and was a temp before that) and whenever you get a job, they require license and SS Card for the paperwork.

I didn't even have to show the card to join the Navy. I've never had it to show it for any job, consulting or otherwise. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I haven't had one for my entire adult life.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

... I didn't even have to show the card to join the Navy....

I hope Lynn doesn't see this before he gets to Afghanistan...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• The requirement to show a social security card to get a job isn't 100% required. If you don't have a card, you can show two other IDs to prove your eligibility to work in the States.

But I've always defaulted to the card because it's easier than remembering what other pieces of paper I could use from the C List.

Here's the I-9 (caution, opens PDF file) with the lists on the last page.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Jan Van der Eecken (7/15/2013)

Puh-lease. Once you join a U.S. Military service, they own you all the way down to the DNA strands. Who needs the card when they have your biometrics and a ritual blood/tissue sample to track you down after you leave?

Oh, wait. The ritual sample thing is Shadowrun. Nevermind that part. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (7/15/2013)

Jan Van der Eecken (7/15/2013)

Puh-lease. Once you join a U.S. Military service, they own you all the way down to the DNA strands. Who needs the card when they have your biometrics and a ritual blood/tissue sample to track you down after you leave?

Well, as long as it isn't that little peace of skin some males lose as part of indoctrination that ritual sample should be absolutely sufficient 😀

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (7/15/2013)

Well, as long as it isn't that little peace of skin some males lose as part of indoctrination that ritual sample should be absolutely sufficient 😀

:Whistling:

• Actually, I've been in Afghanistan since July 2nd, Kabul since July 3rd.

Not to mention the special branding, tattoo and the three chips inserted beneath the skin in three different locations on your body.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Lynn Pettis (7/15/2013)

Actually, I've been in Afghanistan since July 2nd, Kabul since July 3rd.

How are things going?

Not to mention the special branding, tattoo and the three chips inserted beneath the skin in three different locations on your body.

"This pec muscle brought to you by Navy United Credit Union..."

Lynn Pettis (7/15/2013)

Actually, I've been in Afghanistan since July 2nd, Kabul since July 3rd.

How are things going?

All the days are just running together. It is hard to know what day it is. Other than that, I really have to say things are going extraordinary especially in my personal life. This deployment has rekindled my life potentially. Know more when I actually redeploy back to the states, but things are looking quite promising.

Some of you may know what I am talking about, but I'm not ready to say much more at this point.

hvermaak (7/15/2013)

GilaMonster (7/15/2013)

HI Brandie,

That no one has?!! But, but, how will you receive your $1.50 in benefits when you retire???

😛

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

Viewing 15 posts - 40,546 through 40,560 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply