Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn Pettis (7/15/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (7/15/2013)

Lynn Pettis (7/15/2013)

Actually, I've been in Afghanistan since July 2nd, Kabul since July 3rd.

How are things going?

All the days are just running together. It is hard to know what day it is. Other than that, I really have to say things are going extraordinary especially in my personal life. This deployment has rekindled my life potentially. Know more when I actually redeploy back to the states, but things are looking quite promising.

Some of you may know what I am talking about, but I'm not ready to say much more at this point.

Fantastic news!

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Grant Fritchey (7/15/2013)

Lynn Pettis (7/14/2013)

Have a question for Redgate Backup users. I have looked on the Redgate site without luck.

How would I directly query Redgate Backup data tables to extract information for my own reporting?

Just checked to be sure, but everything should be in MSDB.

Seemed like I got more information from the Redgate log while in SQLBackup than I could see in msdb. Perhaps I just didn't look deep enough into the data. I will revisit this.

Thanks

• Sometimes it only takes typing in the SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE post to figure out what the problem is. @=)

I'm having one of those mornings where I have to go through all the details required of posting a problem before I manage to see what the issue is. But I posted anyway because I thought it might help someone googling their issue.

Heaven knows I couldn't find a post with my specific issue (even though there were a few that had the same error message).

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Arrgggg, some days I hate software.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/16/2013)

Arrgggg, some days I hate software.

Don't be hatin' , Steve.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• The Dixie Flatline (7/16/2013)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/16/2013)

Don't be hatin' , Steve.

Haters gonna hate πŸ˜€

But Steve, only some days?

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

That's perfectly OK. Some days, software hates you.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Koen Verbeeck (7/16/2013)

The Dixie Flatline (7/16/2013)

Don't be hatin' , Steve.

Haters gonna hate πŸ˜€

But Steve, only some days?

Well, why not only some days? After all, I hate software every day I come across some VB or VBS or any other Basic (Dijkstra was absolutely right when he said "the teaching of BASIC should be rated as a criminal offence: it mutilates the mind beyond recovery") or typical C++ (spaghetti with "friends") or really bad SQL, but most days I'm not so unfortunate as to see any of those things (and it's years since I actually had to debug any C++, and even longer since I had to write any) so that's not every day.

Tom

• Most days software works flawlessly for me. I have a small domain of things I do, and they work great.

The last two days I've expanded into the continuous integration world, working on integrating 5-6 pieces of software for a talk and it's been a nightmare. finally figured out today that it wasn't me so much as it was a bug and a version conflict.

A very nice developer helped me out with a pre-release build that fixed my issue πŸ˜€

Most days software works flawlessly for me. I have a small domain of things I do, and they work great.

The last two days I've expanded into the continuous integration world, working on integrating 5-6 pieces of software for a talk and it's been a nightmare. finally figured out today that it wasn't me so much as it was a bug and a version conflict.

A very nice developer helped me out with a pre-release build that fixed my issue πŸ˜€

When you get used to it you will realise that continuous development feeding into continuous unit testing feeding into continuous integration feeding into continuous system testing feeding into continuous QA feeding into continuous release is the only sensible way operate, contributes a lot to reducing the number of errors that hit the customers, and is conducive to a pleasant working environment with good relations between all the different functions, although first experiences can be scary, because you aren't yet used to working that way, and that can cause some silly finger pointing and denials of responsibility (which, in my experience, go away very quickly as long as the management is competent).

Quite soon (if you are unlucky) or a bit longer (if you are not) after you have realised what a wonderful world this is once you have adopted the continuous development/integration/release model you will discover the snag. The pointy haired bosses will throw "continuous timescale compression" into the mix, the HR department acting in conjunction with the bean counters will throw in "continuous real-value salary reduction with continuous employees' other benefits reduction", and that's pretty bad although you can cope with it by careful manoeuvring, and next the marketeers will get hold of the concept and form an alliance with the bean counters, and you'll be faced with "continuous timescale contraction", "continuous requirement inflation", "continuous downsizing of testing and QA resources", and "continuous reduction of development staffing" and that quadruple blow to the sanity of product strategy, development, and release practises will ensure that you hate hijacking by incompetent non-technical management of concepts like "continuous" operation even more than you hate software :angry::sick:.

Tom

BWAAA-HAAA!!!! You mean like the stuff that generates the SSC News Letter? :sick::-D:-P

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (7/16/2013)

BWAAA-HAAA!!!! You mean like the stuff that generates the SSC News Letter? :sick::-D:-P

Or that runs the banking machine you are getting your money from.

• Jeff Moden (7/16/2013)

TouchΓ© πŸ˜€

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• My latest help desk ticket.

I've been getting dropped out of SystemX regularly the past week and it just keeps getting worse and is happening on a constant basis. Pls fix.

Oh. Okay. Care to share any *specific* details with me so I can help resolve the problem? Or do I just get to guess with my Magic Fix-It darts?

<headdesk>

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (7/17/2013)

My latest help desk ticket.

I've been getting dropped out of SystemX regularly the past week and it just keeps getting worse and is happening on a constant basis. Pls fix.

Oh. Okay. Care to share any *specific* details with me so I can help resolve the problem? Or do I just get to guess with my Magic Fix-It darts?

<headdesk>

That second thing works great for me. Mkay, thanx, bye!

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 15 posts - 40,561 through 40,575 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply