Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Grant Fritchey (7/19/2013)

Sean Lange (7/19/2013)

We have from time to time started heading in a bad direction. The good news is that there always seems to be a few people around here who remind us or nudge us back to the "good side". I am pretty sure that most of the "regulars" around here have been on both sides of that nudging once or twice.

I think that by not having those idiotic reputation points we have served ourselves and our community well in the long run. To be honest, a down vote is quite rude. Many times it is somebody who is honestly trying to help but posts a less then optimal solution. At least around here we tend to educate not only the OP but also the responder in those cases. The lack of reputation points I think eliminates some of the BS favorites type of crap. We can stick to what is important, the question and not stroking our egos.

What's that?

I can't hear you since you have less than 10,000 points.

Touche!!!

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

Sean Lange (7/19/2013)

We have from time to time started heading in a bad direction. The good news is that there always seems to be a few people around here who remind us or nudge us back to the "good side". I am pretty sure that most of the "regulars" around here have been on both sides of that nudging once or twice.

I think that by not having those idiotic reputation points we have served ourselves and our community well in the long run. To be honest, a down vote is quite rude. Many times it is somebody who is honestly trying to help but posts a less then optimal solution. At least around here we tend to educate not only the OP but also the responder in those cases. The lack of reputation points I think eliminates some of the BS favorites type of crap. We can stick to what is important, the question and not stroking our egos.

What's that?

Woo Hoo! I can say whatever I want with no consequences!

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (7/19/2013)

Grant Fritchey (7/19/2013)

Sean Lange (7/19/2013)

What's that?

Wow, Stefan. I did not realize your points level was so low.

I guess that means I should ignore your advice when you try to help? Unless you bribe me with cookies first, that is. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• On a more serious note, people actually ignore good advice from new posters on other sites? Really?

That's just ... You know, cutting off noses to spite faces.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (7/19/2013)

On a more serious note, people actually ignore good advice from new posters on other sites? Really?

That's just ... You know, cutting off noses to spite faces.

But it is true. That would be like coming here and ignoring Erland's advice because he has low points. :w00t:

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

Stefan Krzywicki (7/19/2013)

Sean Lange (7/19/2013)

What's that?

I guess that means I should ignore your advice when you try to help? Unless you bribe me with cookies first, that is. @=)

Cookies it is! I need people to bake for now that I have diabetes and can't bake for myself.

Unfortunately, my favored type of baking is pies and they don't travel well.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

Brandie Tarvin (7/19/2013)

Sean Lange (7/19/2013)

What's that?

Cookies it is! I need people to bake for now that I have diabetes and can't bake for myself.

Cow pies would travel well...

:hehe:

Or at least you wouldn't be able to tell if it got bumped around during shipping...

I was doing some research this morning and got sucked down a rabbit hole (it happens) and landed on a series of sites complaining about Stack Overflow and Stack Exchange. This one, mainly the comments, really struck me:http://sergworks.wordpress.com/2012/09/26/why-stackoverflow-sucks/

I think we were heading down that path a little, but it seems like we self-corrected. Just wanted to say thanks to all the Threadizens for not turning us into something bad.

PS: I even did a series of searches in Gingle for "'sql server central' sucks" and variations on that theme and just couldn't find anything too bad. Either we're invisible (unlikely) or we done good. Pat yourselves on the back.

Stackoverflow has much different usage stats versus Sqlservercentral. Stackoverflow also has moderation. Both of these factors are going to impact how many folks complain about the site. And thats not even taking the entirety of the stackexchange family of sites into consideration. I don't want to stop you from congratulating yourselves by any means, I just felt like offering a counterpoint especially given how many times I've gotten answers from the other site. If you're curious about the statistics, you can run both sites through Alexa for some comparisons.

The moderation itself is worthy of mention, because you won't get posts complaining about moderation from a site's users if that site doesn't use moderation, additionally, stackexchange is pretty picky about their focus and they're right up front about it. Also, the software behind stackexchange is really really nice.

• jasona.work (7/19/2013)

Sean Lange (7/19/2013)

What's that?

Or at least you wouldn't be able to tell if it got bumped around during shipping...

I don't think you want me mailing those to you. And it isn't like they need baking either.

jasona.work (7/19/2013)

Sean Lange (7/19/2013)

What's that?

I don't think you want me mailing those to you. And it isn't like they need baking either.

What kind of cow pies are you talking about?

I meant these: Cow Pies

• jasona.work (7/19/2013)

jasona.work (7/19/2013)

Sean Lange (7/19/2013)

What's that?

What kind of cow pies are you talking about?

I meant these: Cow Pies

I'm not eating anything labeled "cow pie". And haven't a clue how to make that kind of confection.

• For the non-American audience (or non-Midwestern American audience), the definition of a cow pie

For the non-American audience (or non-Midwestern American audience), the definition of a cow pie

I'm still bemused by the idea of cow patty bingo.

• To bring this back to more pleasant and actually food-related topics (not that it has to be food related, but that is better than poop), the convention last weekend went really well, but we ended up with an entire crate of oranges that we'd bought for staff & volunteers left over. I've been bringing 15-20 in to work each day this week and they make the office smell wonderful as people peel them. I'm tempted to keep doing it even after we run out.

Viewing 15 posts - 40,621 through 40,635 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply