Are the posted questions getting worse?

• All this talk of baking is making me hungry. If anyone is serious about sending a care package to Afghanistan, PM me and I'll provide you with my address out here.

• Lynn Pettis (7/19/2013)

All this talk of baking is making me hungry. If anyone is serious about sending a care package to Afghanistan, PM me and I'll provide you with my address out here.

Do you and your friends like fudge?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (7/19/2013)

Lynn Pettis (7/19/2013)

All this talk of baking is making me hungry. If anyone is serious about sending a care package to Afghanistan, PM me and I'll provide you with my address out here.

Do you and your friends like fudge?

Pretty sure they all like about anything home baked. Only thing I'd add is an ingredients list in case anyone has specific food allergies.

• I'm signing off for the night as it is almost 10:30 PM here in Kabul.

• Grant Fritchey (7/19/2013)

I was doing some research this morning and got sucked down a rabbit hole (it happens) and landed on a series of sites complaining about Stack Overflow and Stack Exchange. This one, mainly the comments, really struck me:http://sergworks.wordpress.com/2012/09/26/why-stackoverflow-sucks/

I think we were heading down that path a little, but it seems like we self-corrected. Just wanted to say thanks to all the Threadizens for not turning us into something bad.

PS: I even did a series of searches in Gingle for "'sql server central' sucks" and variations on that theme and just couldn't find anything too bad. Either we're invisible (unlikely) or we done good. Pat yourselves on the back.

Stack Overflow does suck. Tried to answer one question there. Never ever will return to that sh*thole...

At least I get appreciated around here. Right?

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Grant Fritchey (7/19/2013)

Sean Lange (7/19/2013)

We have from time to time started heading in a bad direction. The good news is that there always seems to be a few people around here who remind us or nudge us back to the "good side". I am pretty sure that most of the "regulars" around here have been on both sides of that nudging once or twice.

I think that by not having those idiotic reputation points we have served ourselves and our community well in the long run. To be honest, a down vote is quite rude. Many times it is somebody who is honestly trying to help but posts a less then optimal solution. At least around here we tend to educate not only the OP but also the responder in those cases. The lack of reputation points I think eliminates some of the BS favorites type of crap. We can stick to what is important, the question and not stroking our egos.

What's that?

I can't hear you since you have less than 10,000 points.

Almost there! And be ready for the noise I'll make! 😀

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• All this talk of cow pies has reminded me of an article I read in a science journal about evolution and survival of the fittest.

With dung beetles the males are generally divided into two types: big beefy dudes and scrawny buggers, and the big beefy dudes are not so bright.

When the cow pie is ready several dung beetles, around 7-8 per pie, dig tunnels towards the centre where they each make a nest. Eventually a female moves into the nest and the male waits outside guarding the entrance until the female is ready to mate. He only moves if dislodged by a bigger, beefier dude. Pretty standard “survival of the fittest”, but what’s a scrawny bugger to do?

Having a bit more brain, the scrawny bugger creeps up and discretely digs a secret tunnel. He burrows halfway in then makes a right-angled turn and digs *around* the pie. Soon he breaks into another tunnel and heads towards the female whilst the big beefy dude stands outside in the cold. When finished, he continues his traverse around the pie and its tunnels until he comes back to his own secret tunnel and leaves. Genetically all the pie can end scrawny with the big beefy dudes having no idea.

In SQL-speak, this seems like a highly desirable form of looping. TBAT, if you will. :unsure:

Fal.

• Leave it to Fal to figure out how to tie poop in with SQL

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Always fun having a slow, gawd can I sneak out yet, sort of day...

Sure, I've got some projects, but anything that requires a server reboot is out, and the big project is on hold until the SAN guys get around to re-purposing a shelf of disks so my one server can get more drive space so I can start moving forward on migrating people off a Windows Server 2008 to Server 2008 R2 VM...

And even that will still be a fairly slow paced job, move a couple DBs at a time, work with the devs to make sure any SSIS packages are going to work right on the new server, then pick a day and time to pull the trigger...

So, I'm keeping myself amused by looking at what I should be looking at to baseline my servers performance, what counters, etc. Yeah, theoritaclly, this should already be done, but I have no indication the previous DBA ever did this...

• Fal (7/22/2013)

All this talk of cow pies has reminded me of an article I read in a science journal about evolution and survival of the fittest.

With dung beetles the males are generally divided into two types: big beefy dudes and scrawny buggers, and the big beefy dudes are not so bright.

When the cow pie is ready several dung beetles, around 7-8 per pie, dig tunnels towards the centre where they each make a nest. Eventually a female moves into the nest and the male waits outside guarding the entrance until the female is ready to mate. He only moves if dislodged by a bigger, beefier dude. Pretty standard “survival of the fittest”, but what’s a scrawny bugger to do?

Having a bit more brain, the scrawny bugger creeps up and discretely digs a secret tunnel. He burrows halfway in then makes a right-angled turn and digs *around* the pie. Soon he breaks into another tunnel and heads towards the female whilst the big beefy dude stands outside in the cold. When finished, he continues his traverse around the pie and its tunnels until he comes back to his own secret tunnel and leaves. Genetically all the pie can end scrawny with the big beefy dudes having no idea.

In SQL-speak, this seems like a highly desirable form of looping. TBAT, if you will. :unsure:

Fal.

While the "tunnel-by-tunnel" part may be hard work for the scrawny dude, I think the payoff probably means that he wouldn't consider it "agonizing". :hehe:

Jason Wolfkill

• It says something about the sort of advice / recommendations someone gives, that if I see their name as responding to a post, regardless of the subject, I click it.

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GAIL SHAW!

:w00t:

• dwain.c (7/17/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (7/17/2013)

WHOO HOO!

Not only did I just teach myself how to use MERGE (never had time or reason), but I managed to use it correctly with a Cross Applied Tally table and an INNER JOIN inside the USING clause.

<SnoopyDance>

And it only took me 30 minutes to figure it all out.

One thing to take care with when using MERGE though: A Hazard of Using the SQL Merge Statement[/url]

It's not a bug it's a feature, but does have the potential to cause you grief if you don't know about it.

That reference is one of the most stupid pieces of nonsense I've ever seen. First the guy says he wants to merge his source into his target. Then he produces a chunk of code which does something like that. But the result of that is not what was required, because it's failed to delete a row that was in the target but not matched in the source - in other words, because it failed to violate his stated requirement in a particular way in which he wants his stated requirement violated. He then produces a piece of utterly silly code which just destroys his target and substitutes the source - and we are supposed to be surprised that that doesn't work. Then he produces, finally, his code which is the answer to the problem - but it doesn't meet his stated requirement, because it does indeed achieve the violation of that requirement that he introduced earlier to do job which he apparently wants, instead of the requirement that was actually fulfilled by the first piece of code he rejected. I just hope that I never have to deal with a developer or a DBA who leant from that guy!

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (7/22/2013)

dwain.c (7/17/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (7/17/2013)

WHOO HOO!

Not only did I just teach myself how to use MERGE (never had time or reason), but I managed to use it correctly with a Cross Applied Tally table and an INNER JOIN inside the USING clause.

<SnoopyDance>

And it only took me 30 minutes to figure it all out.

One thing to take care with when using MERGE though: A Hazard of Using the SQL Merge Statement[/url]

It's not a bug it's a feature, but does have the potential to cause you grief if you don't know about it.

That reference is one of the most stupid pieces of nonsense I've ever seen. First the guy says he wants to merge his source into his target. Then he produces a chunk of code which does something like that. But the result of that is not what was required, because it's failed to delete a row that was in the target but not matched in the source - in other words, because it failed to violate his stated requirement in a particular way in which he wants his stated requirement violated. He then produces a piece of utterly silly code which just destroys his target and substitutes the source - and we are supposed to be surprised that that doesn't work. Then he produces, finally, his code which is the answer to the problem - but it doesn't meet his stated requirement, because it does indeed achieve the violation of that requirement that he introduced earlier to do job which he apparently wants, instead of the requirement that was actually fulfilled by the first piece of code he rejected. I just hope that I never have to deal with a developer or a DBA who leant from that guy!

Gosh Tom, how do you really feel about that article??? :w00t:

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Brandie Tarvin (7/19/2013)

:blush: Did not read the author's name when I read the article. Sorry. Didn't realize it was you.

Snap :blush::blush::blush:

And I was a good deal more precisely nasty than you.

Tom

• jasona.work (7/19/2013)

Stefan Krzywicki (7/19/2013)

I don't think you want me mailing those to you. And it isn't like they need baking either.

What kind of cow pies are you talking about?

:hehe:

I meant these: Cow Pies

In Britain no-one will understand either of you. Cow pies are what a certain desperate superhero eats. He even has a statue (without pie, unfortunately) in Dundee.

Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 40,636 through 40,650 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply