Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Stefan Krzywicki (7/23/2013)

Here's a fun choice to have to make.

We have a fully functioning website that's on a Linux platform.

I want to add a new section that uses a database. If we keep it on the Linux platform, we have to use MySQL.

If I switch to a Windows platform so I can use SQL Server Express (free) will the website break?

Bleh

Not if they are on different servers. If it is an externally facing website you really should not have sql and the webcode on the same box anyway. I shudder at the idea of putting my sql instance in the DMZ.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (7/23/2013)

Stefan Krzywicki (7/23/2013)

I want to add a new section that uses a database. If we keep it on the Linux platform, we have to use MySQL.

If I switch to a Windows platform so I can use SQL Server Express (free) will the website break?

Bleh

Not if they are on different servers. If it is an externally facing website you really should not have sql and the webcode on the same box anyway. I shudder at the idea of putting my sql instance in the DMZ.

I have no idea if they are or not. Here's the hosting service I'd like to use:

Arvixe .Net hosting

It says they're Linux friendly, but I don't know what that means for their configuration. Looks like I'll have to contact them.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Sean Lange (7/11/2013)

OK I will show my true American colors here. My wife's company just got a new client in Newfoundland. She is going to have to travel there this fall at some point and wants to take me with her. This sounds like a great opportunity. Then the realization that I don't have a passport hits me. This is probably unbelievable to many of you that a guy in his mid 40s doesn't have a passport. The US is a big place and I used to able to go to Canada and Mexico with no passport. The last time I truly traveled abroad was the summer I spent in England when I was 10. That means my passport expired more than 25 years ago. πŸ˜€ There are a lot of extra hoops to jump through because I have not had a passport for so long. It would actually be easier if I had never had one before. The upside is that if it comes through in time I should be able to spend a week in Vancouver in September too since she has some client meetings there.

I don't find it that strange. I don't have one anymore either. I think mine expired in 2005, but I'm not sure.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

Sean Lange (7/23/2013)

Bleh

Arvixe .Net hosting

It says they're Linux friendly, but I don't know what that means for their configuration. Looks like I'll have to contact them.

Yeah since you are going with a hosting company I would definitely recommend contacting them. They will certainly have these questions frequently.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (7/23/2013)

Sean Lange (7/23/2013)

Bleh

Arvixe .Net hosting

Yeah since you are going with a hosting company I would definitely recommend contacting them. They will certainly have these questions frequently.

I would really prefer to avoid MySQL

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• wolfkillj (7/23/2013)

jasona.work (7/23/2013)

/me, munching on popcorn and enjoying the calm, reasoned, rational discourse on writing and expectations of the reader...

😎

"calm, reasoned, rational discourse" on the interwebs . . . does not compute . . . error . . . error . . .

I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid. Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January 1992. My instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it I can sing it for you.

. . .

It's called "Daisy."

. . .

"Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you. It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage. But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two."

JasonA and Wolfy πŸ˜€ beat me to it, that was the exact thought I had as I was reading down the thread this morning.

Dwain,

Your calm, logical and humble responses serve as an excellent example and helped me personally reset on a day when my stress level and lack of sleep was leading me to be more curt and stubborn then I really should be. Thank you. <bow>

Chad

• Jack Corbett (7/23/2013)

Sean Lange (7/11/2013)

OK I will show my true American colors here. My wife's company just got a new client in Newfoundland. She is going to have to travel there this fall at some point and wants to take me with her. This sounds like a great opportunity. Then the realization that I don't have a passport hits me. This is probably unbelievable to many of you that a guy in his mid 40s doesn't have a passport. The US is a big place and I used to able to go to Canada and Mexico with no passport. The last time I truly traveled abroad was the summer I spent in England when I was 10. That means my passport expired more than 25 years ago. πŸ˜€ There are a lot of extra hoops to jump through because I have not had a passport for so long. It would actually be easier if I had never had one before. The upside is that if it comes through in time I should be able to spend a week in Vancouver in September too since she has some client meetings there.

I don't find it that strange. I don't have one anymore either. I think mine expired in 2005, but I'm not sure.

I don't get it that you guys let your passports expire. But maybe I should answer my own question since my situation is different. I am a European expat in South Africa with all of my family living in Belgium and Austria. So if anything should happen to them I must be able to move quickly. Which doesn't work ever since Austria decided to close down the Consulate General in Cape Town (austerity measures) about two years ago. Nearest diplomatic representation is now in Pretoria, about 1400 km away (870 miles or so), so I'd have to travel there since the biometric passports require one to deliver one's fingerprints every time one needs new documentation (as if my fingerprints change that often).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (7/23/2013)

Jack Corbett (7/23/2013)

Sean Lange (7/11/2013)

I don't get it that you guys let your passports expire. But maybe I should answer my own question since my situation is different. I am a European expat in South Africa with all of my family living in Belgium and Austria. So if anything should happen to them I must be able to move quickly. Which doesn't work ever since Austria decided to close down the Consulate General in Cape Town (austerity measures) about two years ago. Nearest diplomatic representation is now in Pretoria, about 1400 km away (870 miles or so), so I'd have to travel there since the biometric passports require one to deliver one's fingerprints every time one needs new documentation (as if my fingerprints change that often).

Most Americans will never need a passport. A large percentage of the rest will only need them once or twice in their lifetime. I need to find mine again as I'm going to London next year and (Hopefully!) Finland the following year for Worldcon. Plus, I like going to Canada.

Jan Van der Eecken (7/23/2013)

Jack Corbett (7/23/2013)

Sean Lange (7/11/2013)

Most Americans will never need a passport. A large percentage of the rest will only need them once or twice in their lifetime. I need to find mine again as I'm going to London next year and (Hopefully!) Finland the following year for Worldcon. Plus, I like going to Canada.

Just to follow up on this. I've only really had the opportunity to travel outside the US one time (not including Canada) and that was when I got my passport. At the time I let my passport expire I didn't need a passport to go to Canada, which was only about 2.5 hours from where I was living at the time, so I had no need to renew. I think this is similar to how most Europeans speak multiple languages and many Americans only speak English (and some of us, barely). I can travel several days and still be in the US, but to travel that far in Europe would traverse several nations. So in most cases there isn't a need for me to have a passport or to speak a language other than English.

For me it's a lot like working with SQL Server, I only delve into parts that I need to know to get my job done. When I need SSIS, I learn SSIS. If I have an opportunity to travel internationally, I'll get a passport. Probably won't learn a new language because that takes more than 6-8weeks.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack Corbett (7/23/2013)

Jan Van der Eecken (7/23/2013)

Jack Corbett (7/23/2013)

Sean Lange (7/11/2013)

Just to follow up on this. I've only really had the opportunity to travel outside the US one time (not including Canada) and that was when I got my passport. At the time I let my passport expire I didn't need a passport to go to Canada, which was only about 2.5 hours from where I was living at the time, so I had no need to renew. I think this is similar to how most Europeans speak multiple languages and many Americans only speak English (and some of us, barely). I can travel several days and still be in the US, but to travel that far in Europe would traverse several nations. So in most cases there isn't a need for me to have a passport or to speak a language other than English.

For me it's a lot like working with SQL Server, I only delve into parts that I need to know to get my job done. When I need SSIS, I learn SSIS. If I have an opportunity to travel internationally, I'll get a passport. Probably won't learn a new language because that takes more than 6-8weeks.

Same here. I let mine expire because the last time I had an opportunity or desire to travel outside the US was 35 years ago. Well except for Canada prior to 9/11. For those who can't comprehend not leaving the country, consider how large the US really is. If you drive straight through from LA to NY it is 40 hours!!! A little over 2,700 miles (4345 kilometers). There is a lot of traveling and sights to see that don't require leaving the country.

• Didn't know this site censored some words.

Hum. Whaddayaknow...

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (7/23/2013)

Didn't know this site censored some words.

Hum. Whaddayaknow...

Oh man,so you've been added into the naughty list, then right?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Koen Verbeeck (7/23/2013)

Hum. Whaddayaknow...

O rly???

• Lowell (7/23/2013)

Koen Verbeeck (7/23/2013)

Hum. Whaddayaknow...

Oh man,so you've been added into the naughty list, then right?

Probably, if I wasn't already πŸ˜€

(in my defense, it was a word that can also be used to describe a donkey, so there's debate possible over the effectiveness of the censorship)

• Sean Lange (7/23/2013)

Koen Verbeeck (7/23/2013)

Hum. Whaddayaknow...

O rly???

Ya rly

(I now officially go to hell)

Viewing 15 posts - 40,666 through 40,680 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply