Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Koen Verbeeck (7/23/2013)

(I now officially go to hell)

I will save a spot for you. It can't be all that bad, I mean so many of my friends will be there too. 😛

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (7/23/2013)

Koen Verbeeck (7/23/2013)

(I now officially go to hell)

I will save a spot for you. It can't be all that bad, I mean so many of my friends will be there too. 😛

I hear they have nice barbeques.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Something over 28 hours since message notification from SQLServer Central last arrived here. This drying up of notifications seems to be happening rather often recently, is there something horribly wrong somewhere in SQL Server Central's mail delivery? Other sites across the world talk to me - just not SQLServerCentral, so I doubt the problem is at this end.

Anyway, I won't go hunting on the website for messages - can catch up when messages get unblocked, I guess (may miss a few if the blocking can lose messages) - too busy to look at recent messages rather than just react to notifications recently.

Tom

• Koen Verbeeck (7/23/2013)

Lowell (7/23/2013)

Didn't know this site censored some words.

Hum. Whaddayaknow...

Oh man,so you've been added into the naughty list, then right?

Probably, if I wasn't already 😀

(in my defense, it was a word that can also be used to describe a donkey, so there's debate possible over the effectiveness of the censorship)

Because there's a lot of discussion on sqlservercentral.com about donkeys? And you were specifically referring to donkeys?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (7/24/2013)

Lowell (7/23/2013)

Hum. Whaddayaknow...

(in my defense, it was a word that can also be used to describe a donkey, so there's debate possible over the effectiveness of the censorship)

Because there's a lot of discussion on sqlservercentral.com about donkeys? And you were specifically referring to donkeys?

And why wouldn't there be? A donkey is the best way to encrypt your data! Asynchronous Streaming Systems are virtually uncrackable and the donkey is the best key to seed them with.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (7/24/2013)

jcrawf02 (7/24/2013)

Lowell (7/23/2013)

Hum. Whaddayaknow...

And why wouldn't there be? A donkey is the best way to encrypt your data! Asynchronous Streaming Systems are virtually uncrackable and the donkey is the best key to seed them with.

So is that when you use donkey-pies to seed the encryption process? Or are those the results of the encryption process?

😀

• dwain.c (7/22/2013)

L' Eomot Inversé (7/22/2013)

Sean Lange (7/22/2013)

Gosh Tom, how do you really feel about that article??? :w00t:

Just as described, but if I'd realised who wrote it I would have made the comment privately, not here.

Tom and Brandie - For the record I'm not upset by your posts. Circumstances have helped me to develop a pretty thick skin over the years. And what I said to Brandie about the author being an amateur is quite true. I most certainly consider myself so. 🙂

In the article's defense (without meaning to sound defensive), I attempted to write it from the perspective of someone that is new to MERGE. Surely there are a few of those folks out there, along with many others that use it sufficiently to be aware of all of the wrinkles of it when you do.

The flow of the article was also attempting to mimic the situation where requirements evolve, either because the users change their minds or because anomalies in the data require a bit of adaptation. Perhaps I was mistaken to think that ever happens. 😛

Actually, if the article made it clear that that was what was happening, it would be a good sound article. But it doesn't. It says "Our plan is to merge our source table (#Test2) into our target table (#Test1)" and that's the nearest it has to a description of what is wanted. a few words like "Oh dear, the requirement was stated wrongly" included in the bit where it says that the results of the first version are not what was wanted would have made it clear that that was what you were showing. Or you could have included that statement about the flow of the article at its front. Without some change of that sort I think it doesn't really work.

Anyway, I'm glad you aren't upset by the comments. And I don't see your two short paragraphs in defence of the article as being "defensive" in the sense that you didn't intend - just a perfectly straightforward explanation of what the article is intended to do.

Tom

• ChrisM@Work (7/23/2013)

Bad hair day, Tom?

I haven't got enough hair to have bad hair days 🙂

But it might have had something to do with several hours driving with a sick wife for passenger in heavy traffic in temperature of 36C (96.8F); after that pretty well anything could probably have set me off.

Tom

• jcrawf02 (7/24/2013)

Lowell (7/23/2013)

Hum. Whaddayaknow...

Given the title of this thread why shouldn't there be a reasonable amount of discussion of donkeys?

Anyway, the only reason that word would be censored is that Americans can't spell (and have, unfortunately, begun to entice other English speaking nations into there silly misspelling of this particular word). In real English the word derived via Goidelic asan from Latin asinus doesn't suffer from having the same spelling as the word derived via Old English (or middle Dutch?) aers from Proto-Germanic *arsoz; neither, in British English, do the two words share the same pronunciation.

It's amazing and rather sad that some dictionaries are edited by people so entranced by American spelling that they incorrectly claim that the latter word is also derived (ultimately) from Latin asinus, presumably in order to account for the strange American spelling.

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (7/24/2013)

jcrawf02 (7/24/2013)

Lowell (7/23/2013)

Hum. Whaddayaknow...

Given the title of this thread why shouldn't there be a reasonable amount of discussion of donkeys?

Anyway, the only reason that word would be censored is that Americans can't spell (and have, unfortunately, begun to entice other English speaking nations into there silly misspelling of this particular word). In real English the word derived via Goidelic asan from Latin asinus doesn't suffer from having the same spelling as the word derived via Old English (or middle Dutch?) aers from Proto-Germanic *arsoz; neither, in British English, do the two words share the same pronunciation.

It's amazing and rather sad that some dictionaries are edited by people so entranced by American spelling that they incorrectly claim that the latter word is also derived (ultimately) from Latin asinus, presumably in order to account for the strange American spelling.

Somehow one would assume that this particular thread is excluded from any reasonable analysis of anything SQLServerCentral. 😛

Americans are simply word-smithing, evolution at work. Shakespeare will be read as " 'sup, Julie? What you in hangin' in the window for, shorty?" in a few hundred years.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (7/24/2013)

L' Eomot Inversé (7/24/2013)

jcrawf02 (7/24/2013)

Lowell (7/23/2013)

Hum. Whaddayaknow...

Somehow one would assume that this particular thread is excluded from any reasonable analysis of anything SQLServerCentral. 😛

Americans are simply word-smithing, evolution at work. Shakespeare will be read as " 'sup, Julie? What you in hangin' in the window for, shorty?" in a few hundred years.

Well, in a few hundred years your sentence will indeed be as archaic as how we see Shakespeare today.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• jcrawf02 (7/24/2013)

Lowell (7/23/2013)

Hum. Whaddayaknow...

Sure I was.

😀

• L' Eomot Inversé (7/23/2013)

Something over 28 hours since message notification from SQLServer Central last arrived here. This drying up of notifications seems to be happening rather often recently, is there something horribly wrong somewhere in SQL Server Central's mail delivery? Other sites across the world talk to me - just not SQLServerCentral, so I doubt the problem is at this end.

Anyway, I won't go hunting on the website for messages - can catch up when messages get unblocked, I guess (may miss a few if the blocking can lose messages) - too busy to look at recent messages rather than just react to notifications recently.

I don't have any troubles with the notifications. For now.

• Stefan Krzywicki (7/24/2013)

jcrawf02 (7/24/2013)

L' Eomot Inversé (7/24/2013)

jcrawf02 (7/24/2013)

Lowell (7/23/2013)

Hum. Whaddayaknow...

Well, in a few hundred years your sentence will indeed be as archaic as how we see Shakespeare today.

Considering how quickly American English slang evolves, it already sounds a bit dated. However...I found that sentence hysterically funny (says the English major). I'd love to do a translation like that for Wuthering Heights, mostly because they have to be two of the most pompous, self-involved characters in fiction, so they deserve it. (Maybe I should speak to Jasper Fforde...)

• Koen Verbeeck (7/24/2013)

jcrawf02 (7/24/2013)

Lowell (7/23/2013)

Hum. Whaddayaknow...

Sure I was.

😀

"It's so rude of your husband to call you 'The Donkey'"

"I know! He aw he aw He always calls me that!"

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

Viewing 15 posts - 40,681 through 40,695 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply