Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I have a Good SSIS packages behaving badly problem. Can someone take a look and assist me with discovering the root issue?

It has to do with XML configuration files and hard-coded package values.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• GilaMonster (8/6/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (8/6/2013)

Lately, I've gotten a lot of connection requests from people just trying to bump up their counts (who I don't know from boo), so I've gotten a little pickier about who I follow back / connect to.

I'm deleting more than 90% of connection requests now, especially ones from people who say they've worked with me at companies I've never done any work for

That one has gotten really bad for me too. I find myself thinking "Really? I don't even have that company on my profile, I've never heard of it, etc. and you expect me to just click OK?"

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (8/6/2013)

jasona.work (8/6/2013)

On a completely unrelated note, I was perusing the "suggested contacts" on LinkedIn last night, and saw a familiar name pop up:

Brandie Tarvin...

Gotta wonder just where LI is finding such a linkage...

/tinfoil hat time!

:hehe:

I dunno. Sounds a bit suspicious to me. I wouldn't trust this Brandie Tarvin person if I were you. she's one of those techies that pretends to know what she's doing then kills her website by updating a bad WordPress plugin. 😀

LinkedIn tends to refer contacts based on who you know in your network. I'm betting I'm directly connected to one of your contacts (2nd connection to you), so it suggested we hook up. If you send me a LI message reminding me you're from the Thread, I'd be happy to connect up with you.

EDIT: If anyone here has tried to connect to me on Twitter or LI and hasn't gotten a response or follow-back, it's probably because I don't recognize your name. Please feel free to send me a message that you and I talk on SSC as a reminder and I will correct the oversight. Lately, I've gotten a lot of connection requests from people just trying to bump up their counts (who I don't know from boo), so I've gotten a little pickier about who I follow back / connect to.

I've become a lot more stricter in who I accept. If I don't know you already and no personal message: delete. If personal message doesn't interest me: delete as well 😀 Recruiters from foreign countries: triple delete. 😀

For all the persons who selected "have done business with": delete and also mark as "I don't know". I read somewhere that if an account gets to many "I don't know", the account could get marked as spam.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• "And lo, I have been tempted. And lo, I have responded to temptation."

Cryptic comment awaiting to see if the person it is directed at gets the joke. @=)

"And lo, I have been tempted. And lo, I have responded to temptation."

Cryptic comment awaiting to see if the person it is directed at gets the joke. @=)

Hope it is not directed to me, because I sure don't get it 😀

Got spammed by the way by some very strange timetravelling person. Tinfoil hats are in production!

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

jasona.work (8/6/2013)

On a completely unrelated note, I was perusing the "suggested contacts" on LinkedIn last night, and saw a familiar name pop up:

Brandie Tarvin...

Gotta wonder just where LI is finding such a linkage...

/tinfoil hat time!

:hehe:

I dunno. Sounds a bit suspicious to me. I wouldn't trust this Brandie Tarvin person if I were you. she's one of those techies that pretends to know what she's doing then kills her website by updating a bad WordPress plugin. 😀

LinkedIn tends to refer contacts based on who you know in your network. I'm betting I'm directly connected to one of your contacts (2nd connection to you), so it suggested we hook up. If you send me a LI message reminding me you're from the Thread, I'd be happy to connect up with you.

EDIT: If anyone here has tried to connect to me on Twitter or LI and hasn't gotten a response or follow-back, it's probably because I don't recognize your name. Please feel free to send me a message that you and I talk on SSC as a reminder and I will correct the oversight. Lately, I've gotten a lot of connection requests from people just trying to bump up their counts (who I don't know from boo), so I've gotten a little pickier about who I follow back / connect to.

Your twitter handle is very amusing to me. My great aunt (that I never met) had a column in the Newark Daily News (NJ) back in the 20s or 30s. Her byline was "The Would-Be Author"

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Koen Verbeeck (8/6/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (8/6/2013)

"And lo, I have been tempted. And lo, I have responded to temptation."

Hope it is not directed to me, because I sure don't get it 😀

Got spammed by the way by some very strange timetravelling person. Tinfoil hats are in production!

HA!

• I have a question that has been nagging at me for a while, and I think the probability that someone on this thread will know the answer exceeds the probability that a randomly selected individual would know the answer. Here goes . . .

I vaguely recall reading a particular series of fantasy novels as a teen but cannot for the life of me remember any of the titles or the author. The books involved a set of main characters (children and teenagers - think the Murry/O'Keefe kids from Madeleine L'Engle's books) who live in the present day but encounter magical forces that transport them to other times or other worlds (can't remember which, for sure). I think the adventures usually started with a figure of good in disguise (again, think L'Engle's Mesdames Who, Whatsit, and Which) appearing to summon the protagonists to battle a figure of evil that crops up in different times/locations/guises (think Tolkien's Sauron).

What I do seem to remember clearly is the unifying thread of the books. The protagonists are set on a quest to find a collection of amulets/talismans/tokens, all of the same design (round like a coin with the figure of a cross inscribed in the circle, in my (possibly faulty) memory) but made of different materials (wood, steel, stone, etc.). Each book recounts the adventures that result in the protagonists obtaining a particular one of these amulets. I think there may have been five or seven books in series, but I'm not sure about that, either.

Can anyone identify a series of books that fit this description so that I can quit racking my brain?

Thanks!

Jason

Jason Wolfkill

• It sounds a little like "A Wrinkle in Time" but it's been quite a few years for me, so I might have it wrong.

• wolfkillj (8/6/2013)

I have a question that has been nagging at me for a while, and I think the probability that someone on this thread will know the answer exceeds the probability that a randomly selected individual would know the answer. Here goes . . .

I vaguely recall reading a particular series of fantasy novels as a teen but cannot for the life of me remember any of the titles or the author. The books involved a set of main characters (children and teenagers - think the Murry/O'Keefe kids from Madeleine L'Engle's books) who live in the present day but encounter magical forces that transport them to other times or other worlds (can't remember which, for sure). I think the adventures usually started with a figure of good in disguise (again, think L'Engle's Mesdames Who, Whatsit, and Which) appearing to summon the protagonists to battle a figure of evil that crops up in different times/locations/guises (think Tolkien's Sauron).

What I do seem to remember clearly is the unifying thread of the books. The protagonists are set on a quest to find a collection of amulets/talismans/tokens, all of the same design (round like a coin with the figure of a cross inscribed in the circle, in my (possibly faulty) memory) but made of different materials (wood, steel, stone, etc.). Each book recounts the adventures that result in the protagonists obtaining a particular one of these amulets. I think there may have been five or seven books in series, but I'm not sure about that, either.

Can anyone identify a series of books that fit this description so that I can quit racking my brain?

Thanks!

Jason

Series of 5 books by Susan Cooper, called "The Dark is Rising", which is also the title of the second book in the series (the first was "Over Sea, Under Stone"). The next three were "Greenwitch", "The Grey King", and "Silver on the Tree". Published between 1965 and 1977, with an omnibus volume (or maybe boxed collection) containing all five novels published in 1986.

I think they are all still in print; and available in Kindle format too. Essential reading material for any family with kids between about 7 and 14 (my daughter read them all before she was 10; my sons took to them a few years older than she did).

Tom

• Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series.

Over Sea and Under Stone

The Dark is Rising

Greenwitch

The Grey King

Silver on the Tree

The six tokens in the form of a cross in a circle are all found in the second book, the other books find or encounter other creatures or artifacts.

When the Dark comes rising, six shall turn it back;

Three from the circle, three from the track;

Wood, bronze, iron; water, fire, stone;

Five shall return and one go alone.

Iron for the birthday, bronze carried long;

Wood for the burning, stone out of song;

Fire in the candle-ring, water from the thaw;

Six signs the circle and the grail gone before.

Fire on the mountain shall wake the harp of gold;

Played to wake the Sleepers, oldest of the old;

Power from the green witch, lost beneath the sea;

All shall find the light at last, silver on the tree.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Ed Wagner (8/6/2013)

It sounds a little like "A Wrinkle in Time" but it's been quite a few years for me, so I might have it wrong.

Jason said it was like the Madeleine L'Engle books, so I imagine that he knows that series and it's unlikely to be what he was looking for.

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (8/6/2013)

Series of 5 books by Susan Cooper, called "The Dark is Rising", which is also the title of the second book in the series (the first was "Over Sea, Under Stone"). The next three were "Greenwitch", "The Grey King", and "Silver on the Tree". Published between 1965 and 1977, with an omnibus volume (or maybe boxed collection) containing all five novels published in 1986.

I think they are all still in print; and available in Kindle format too. Essential reading material for any family with kids between about 7 and 14 (my daughter read them all before she was 10; my sons took to them a few years older than she did).

GilaMonster (8/6/2013)

Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series.

Over Sea and Under Stone

The Dark is Rising

Greenwitch

The Grey King

Silver on the Tree

The six tokens in the form of a cross in a circle are all found in the second book, the other books find or encounter other creatures or artifacts.

That's exactly it! I had a feeling that someone on this thread would know what the heck I was talking about, and both Tom and Gail nailed it. Thank you, thank you, thank you! The books are indeed readily available on Amazon.com in both print and electronic formats. The Drew children, Merriman Lyon, Will Stanton, the Old Ones, the Great Lords of the Dark, the Doors - I'm looking forward to re-reading them.

Jason

Jason Wolfkill

• wolfkillj (8/6/2013)

L' Eomot Inversé (8/6/2013)

GilaMonster (8/6/2013)

Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series.

Over Sea and Under Stone

The Dark is Rising

Greenwitch

The Grey King

Silver on the Tree

That's exactly it! I had a feeling that someone on this thread would know what the heck I was talking about, and both Tom and Gail nailed it. Thank you, thank you, thank you! The books are indeed readily available on Amazon.com in both print and electronic formats. The Drew children, Merriman Lyon, Will Stanton, the Old Ones, the Great Lords of the Dark, the Doors - I'm looking forward to re-reading them.

Jason

They did a movie too[/url] - wasn't too good, but I thought it was worth watching because I loved the series so much.

Chad

Viewing 15 posts - 40,786 through 40,800 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply