Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Chad Crawford (8/6/2013)

They did a movie too[/url] - wasn't too good, but I thought it was worth watching because I loved the series so much.

The movie's good if you watch it with no assumptions that it has anything at all to do with the book, other than the name.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (8/6/2013)

Chad Crawford (8/6/2013)

They did a movie too[/url] - wasn't too good, but I thought it was worth watching because I loved the series so much.

The movie's good if you watch it with no assumptions that it has anything at all to do with the book, other than the name.

That tends to apply to rather a lot of movies!

Tom

• I'm going to be working on a website that is currently on a Linux machine that has HTML, CSS and some javascript. The site needs a database. If I port it to a Windows server, I can use SQL Server. If I leave it on a Linux machine, I have to use My SQL. I don't think anything will break if we move it to Windows, but I haven't worked with the web in long enough that I'm not positive. I'd much prefer to work on SQL Server, but don't know if MySQL has any reasons to avoid it like the plague.

Any opinions?

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (8/6/2013)

... but don't know if MySQL has any reasons to avoid it like the plague.

Any opinions?

Perhaps because it's owned by Oracle?

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• Excuse my breaking into the flow of conversation -- has anyone heard lately from Lynn?

• dwain.c (8/6/2013)

Stefan Krzywicki (8/6/2013)

Any opinions?

Maybe you could use mariadb.org instead of MySQL. It is drop in placement.

Is two servers out of question? One for db and one for application.

• GilaMonster (8/6/2013)

Chad Crawford (8/6/2013)

Just like the movie World War Z:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/wwz

Steve Hall
    Linkedin
    Blog Site

• Revenant (8/6/2013)

Excuse my breaking into the flow of conversation -- has anyone heard lately from Lynn?

He's been replying to the Football thread, as he is defending champion, I'm sure he'll pop up here soon!

Rodders...

• BrainDonor (8/7/2013)

GilaMonster (8/6/2013)

Chad Crawford (8/6/2013)

Great comic. Still want to see World War Z, but just because I'm a The Walking Dead fan (series and comics), so a zombie movie always scores with me.

But now I also want to read the book of course 🙂

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• I have been around, just not as much. Not a lot time when you spend most of your time working or sleeping, every day.

Things out here in Afghanistan are going well. Sort of hard to believe I just finished week 5, but then the days do just roll into one another.

• BrainDonor (8/7/2013)

GilaMonster (8/6/2013)

Chad Crawford (8/6/2013)

Nope. Will not give them money. Especially after they had a script written by J. Michael Straczynski that they tossed. Nope, nope, nope. They don't get a dime.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Ville-Pekka Vahteala (8/6/2013)

dwain.c (8/6/2013)

Any opinions?

Maybe you could use mariadb.org instead of MySQL. It is drop in placement.

Is two servers out of question? One for db and one for application.

Yep, owned by Oracle, but there's nothing I can do about that. This is going to be a small database for a small non-profit. The server is hosted, so no to 2 servers as well. As a non-profit, we'd like to keep this as inexpensive as possible and I've got a good hosting company that charges $4/mo for Linux or $5/mo for Windows. I was mostly wondering if anyone knew of any ways Linux ok platforms will fare badly on windows platforms and is that bad enough to settle for MySQL.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• Stefan Krzywicki (8/6/2013)

I'm going to be working on a website that is currently on a Linux machine that has HTML, CSS and some javascript. The site needs a database. If I port it to a Windows server, I can use SQL Server. If I leave it on a Linux machine, I have to use My SQL. I don't think anything will break if we move it to Windows, but I haven't worked with the web in long enough that I'm not positive. I'd much prefer to work on SQL Server, but don't know if MySQL has any reasons to avoid it like the plague.

Any opinions?

I just had to "patch" a couple MySQL installs here. The MySQL idea of a patch = Install the newest version over-top your existing install...

The GUI management tools for MySQL are also a pain, although an older version isn't too bad, it's hard to find and download...

• jasona.work (8/7/2013)

I'm going to be working on a website that is currently on a Linux machine that has HTML, CSS and some javascript. The site needs a database. If I port it to a Windows server, I can use SQL Server. If I leave it on a Linux machine, I have to use My SQL. I don't think anything will break if we move it to Windows, but I haven't worked with the web in long enough that I'm not positive. I'd much prefer to work on SQL Server, but don't know if MySQL has any reasons to avoid it like the plague.

Any opinions?

I just had to "patch" a couple MySQL installs here. The MySQL idea of a patch = Install the newest version over-top your existing install...

The GUI management tools for MySQL are also a pain, although an older version isn't too bad, it's hard to find and download...

Fortunately, all patching and such for the servers is the job of the hosting company.

I really haven't liked using the MySQL interface. That's one big argument in favor of SQL Server.

• Stefan Krzywicki (8/7/2013)

I really haven't liked using the MySQL interface. That's one big argument in favor of SQL Server.

I couldn't agree more.

BTW, is anyone going to SQLSaturday #243 in Cape Town? Gail is talking first thing in the morning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 40,801 through 40,815 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply