Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Stefan Krzywicki (8/7/2013)

Yep, owned by Oracle, but there's nothing I can do about that. This is going to be a small database for a small non-profit.

If it's such a small database, couldn't you use SQL Express? Or is the extra cost of the Windows server prohibitive for your clients?

• paul.knibbs (8/7/2013)

Stefan Krzywicki (8/7/2013)

Yep, owned by Oracle, but there's nothing I can do about that. This is going to be a small database for a small non-profit.

If it's such a small database, couldn't you use SQL Express? Or is the extra cost of the Windows server prohibitive for your clients?

SQL Server comes on the hosted server, included in the $5/mo hosting fee. The concern is not wanting to pay for 2 separate hosts & not wanting existing code to break.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (8/6/2013)

I'm going to be working on a website that is currently on a Linux machine that has HTML, CSS and some javascript. The site needs a database. If I port it to a Windows server, I can use SQL Server. If I leave it on a Linux machine, I have to use My SQL. I don't think anything will break if we move it to Windows, but I haven't worked with the web in long enough that I'm not positive. I'd much prefer to work on SQL Server, but don't know if MySQL has any reasons to avoid it like the plague.

Any opinions?

PostgreSQL. I liked it better than MySQL. Seemed more complete.

• Koen Verbeeck (8/7/2013)

BrainDonor (8/7/2013)

GilaMonster (8/6/2013)

Chad Crawford (8/6/2013)

They did a movie too[/url] - wasn't too good, but I thought it was worth watching because I loved the series so much.

The movie's good if you watch it with no assumptions that it has anything at all to do with the book, other than the name.

Just like the movie World War Z:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/wwz

Great comic. Still want to see World War Z, but just because I'm a The Walking Dead fan (series and comics), so a zombie movie always scores with me.

But now I also want to read the book of course 🙂

The WWZ movie was entertaining, but not like the book. The book was fanastic, IMHO. Read it on a flight across the country, and couldn't put it down.

paul.knibbs (8/7/2013)

SQL Server comes on the hosted server, included in the $5/mo hosting fee. The concern is not wanting to pay for 2 separate hosts & not wanting existing code to break.

What is the website written in? I assume the reason it is running on Linux is because is php and needs to run on Apache? You can install Apache on a windows box too. We have two Windows servers with Apache running for php sites.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (8/7/2013)

paul.knibbs (8/7/2013)

What is the website written in? I assume the reason it is running on Linux is because is php and needs to run on Apache? You can install Apache on a windows box too. We have two Windows servers with Apache running for php sites.

I thought there might be, but I've asked since posting here and it is all HTML/CSS and javascript.

The program I'm re-writing has a lot of php, but I'm doing it from scratch and am going to go entirely with HTML5/CSS and javascript. Microsoft has said that's the way forward, so I figure I'll give it a try.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• Jan Van der Eecken (8/7/2013)

BTW, is anyone going to SQLSaturday #243 in Cape Town? Gail is talking first thing in the morning.

I am? That's news.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Sean Lange (8/7/2013)

paul.knibbs (8/7/2013)

I thought there might be, but I've asked since posting here and it is all HTML/CSS and javascript.

The program I'm re-writing has a lot of php, but I'm doing it from scratch and am going to go entirely with HTML5/CSS and javascript. Microsoft has said that's the way forward, so I figure I'll give it a try.

If it is all pure HTML then it won't make any difference what flavor of web server you host it on. Apache or IIS will serve those equally well with no issue.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (8/7/2013)

Sean Lange (8/7/2013)

paul.knibbs (8/7/2013)

If it is all pure HTML then it won't make any difference what flavor of web server you host it on. Apache or IIS will serve those equally well with no issue.

That was what I thought, but I wanted to do some asking around first. Thanks!

• GilaMonster (8/7/2013)

Jan Van der Eecken (8/7/2013)

BTW, is anyone going to SQLSaturday #243 in Cape Town? Gail is talking first thing in the morning.

I am? That's news.

That's what the PASS site says?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

Sean Lange (8/7/2013)

Sean Lange (8/7/2013)

paul.knibbs (8/7/2013)

For what is the database for of it is pure html and css?

• Ville-Pekka Vahteala (8/7/2013)

Sean Lange (8/7/2013)

Sean Lange (8/7/2013)

paul.knibbs (8/7/2013)

For what is the database for of it is pure html and css?

The existing website has no database. I'm adding functionality.

Rather, there's an existing MySQL database that is accessed through php that does not meet our needs. I'm replacing it from scratch and from scratch means rethinking your tools. I've decided to go with SQL Server, HTML5/CSS and JavaScript. If there's something that just can't be done with that, ASP.Net.

• Jan Van der Eecken (8/7/2013)

GilaMonster (8/7/2013)

I am? That's news.

No word by mail or otherwise...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (8/7/2013)

GilaMonster (8/7/2013)

I am? That's news.

No word by mail or otherwise...

Did you even know you were going?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (8/2/2013)

How many people (besides Jeff and myself) have written SQL Spackle articles?

How many SQL Spackle articles are there?

Yes, I have a reason for asking. But I want to share it with the Spackle authors first before I say anything else.

Me.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 40,816 through 40,830 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply