Are the posted questions getting worse?

• ChrisM@Work (8/9/2013)

dwain.c (8/9/2013)

ChrisM@Work (8/9/2013)

Port Moresby - ranked 139th of 140 cities for liveability, whatever that means. I wonder which city came last? What's the grub like?

Food's OK. Some Aussie steaks but very expensive place to live. The guy I'm staying with pays about $2500 a week for the house his company rents for him.

Low on the liveability list because crime is very high. Murder, rape and robbery are national past times.

Good guys I'm doing work for though. They're takin' care of me.

Sounds just like the north-east of England, only a better climate and no Aussie steaks!

I hadn't realised that London counted as the North-East of England these days, I thought you still had to be north of Harringay (or maybe north of Highgate Golf Club) to count as North of England, and surely you can't be in the NE if you are not in the N?

Tom

• wolfkillj (8/9/2013)

Sean Lange (8/9/2013)

Ed Wagner (8/9/2013)

Stefan Krzywicki (8/9/2013)

For me the investment is getting something that I won't have to spend much on during its lifetime. I drove my Pathfinder 276,000 miles and kept it for 14 years before I traded it in. I was happy they gave me anything for it. I didn't drive it much the last 6 years as I had a Prius by then as well, but neither car has cost much in the way of repairs.

If you want to keep a car that long and drive it that far, buy it new.

A car actually lasted for 276,000 miles??? That's impressive. I've heard of some holder Honda models making it to the low 200's, but nothing that high.

I'm inclined to buy used myself. The prices the car companies gouge charge nowadays are just silly and they need repairs in the first year anyway. It simply isn't worth it any more. Then again, I've never had any car (new or used) last for 200,000+ miles.

Both my father and I have had Honda's with over 300,000. Both of those cars were worn out when they got retired but still...

Y'all are lightweights . . .

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/18/irv-gordon-has-driven-nearly-3-million-miles-in-his-1966-volvo-1800s/

We are only missing a 0. 😛 Mine didn't look that nice either when it was retired.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (8/9/2013)

wolfkillj (8/9/2013)

Sean Lange (8/9/2013)

Ed Wagner (8/9/2013)

For me the investment is getting something that I won't have to spend much on during its lifetime. I drove my Pathfinder 276,000 miles and kept it for 14 years before I traded it in. I was happy they gave me anything for it. I didn't drive it much the last 6 years as I had a Prius by then as well, but neither car has cost much in the way of repairs.

If you want to keep a car that long and drive it that far, buy it new.

A car actually lasted for 276,000 miles??? That's impressive. I've heard of some holder Honda models making it to the low 200's, but nothing that high.

I'm inclined to buy used myself. The prices the car companies gouge charge nowadays are just silly and they need repairs in the first year anyway. It simply isn't worth it any more. Then again, I've never had any car (new or used) last for 200,000+ miles.

Both my father and I have had Honda's with over 300,000. Both of those cars were worn out when they got retired but still...

Y'all are lightweights . . .

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/18/irv-gordon-has-driven-nearly-3-million-miles-in-his-1966-volvo-1800s/

We are only missing a 0. 😛 Mine didn't look that nice either when it was retired.

You only missed it by one order of magnitude. 😉

That guy obviously loves driving, and driving that car particularly. I suspect it's been polished with a diaper a time or two.

Jason Wolfkill

• Ed Wagner (8/9/2013)

A car actually lasted for 276,000 miles??? That's impressive. I've heard of some holder Honda models making it to the low 200's, but nothing that high

For all the toys (cars) mentioned so far ssshhhhhhh

My current 1992 Mercedes 300 Diesel ) has an odometer reading of 311,464 miles (501,253 km). When driven on an expressway or highway where I can average a speed of 70 mph for at least 100 miles, I average between 30 and 32 miles per gallon of fuel. Now admittedly the vehicle's super charger and cruise control are engaged and working quite well. Around town with speeds limited to a max of 30-35 mph I average close to 25 miles per gallon.

Servicing (every 5,000 miles) consists of changing the engine oil, greasing the steering ball joints (there are 2 of them), a new engine air filter, tire rotation (every 10,000 miles).

The current vehicle is my 2nd Mercedes, my first one recorded slightly over 1,000,000 kilometers and Mercedes awarded the vehicle a medallion, and benefits. The benefits, if the vehicle broke down, call the Mercedes phone number and he nearest Mercedes dealer would be contacted to perform the following serves (at no charge).

1. Send a tow truck equipped to attempt to restart the vehicle.

2. Vehicle refused to start, tow to the dealers shop.

3. Supply a replacement vehicle so that I could continue my trip.

I traded in that first one, for after all the front seats were made of leather and the drivers seat had a worn spot from my a$$, for the one I am currently driving,

After reading this I just realized that my current Mercedes is 21 years old - heck old enough to vote !

Oh and for those who are interested in return on investment, the Mercedes cost just slightly more than a fully equipped similar Cadallac

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• L' Eomot Inversé (8/9/2013)

ChrisM@Work (8/9/2013)

dwain.c (8/9/2013)

ChrisM@Work (8/9/2013)

Port Moresby - ranked 139th of 140 cities for liveability, whatever that means. I wonder which city came last? What's the grub like?

Food's OK. Some Aussie steaks but very expensive place to live. The guy I'm staying with pays about $2500 a week for the house his company rents for him.

Low on the liveability list because crime is very high. Murder, rape and robbery are national past times.

Sounds just like the north-east of England, only a better climate and no Aussie steaks!

I hadn't realised that London counted as the North-East of England these days, I thought you still had to be north of Harringay (or maybe north of Highgate Golf Club) to count as North of England, and surely you can't be in the NE if you are not in the N?

Nah, he's just from a universe where the 100 years war ended differently.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• bitbucket-25253 (8/9/2013)

Ed Wagner (8/9/2013)

A car actually lasted for 276,000 miles??? That's impressive. I've heard of some holder Honda models making it to the low 200's, but nothing that high

My current 1992 Mercedes 300 Diesel ) has an odometer reading of 311,464 miles (501,253 km). When driven on an expressway or highway where I can average a speed of 70 mph for at least 100 miles, I average between 30 and 32 miles per gallon of fuel. Now admittedly the vehicle's super charger and cruise control are engaged and working quite well. Around town with speeds limited to a max of 30-35 mph I average close to 25 miles per gallon.

Servicing (every 5,000 miles) consists of changing the engine oil, greasing the steering ball joints (there are 2 of them), a new engine air filter, tire rotation (every 10,000 miles).

The current vehicle is my 2nd Mercedes, my first one recorded slightly over 1,000,000 kilometers and Mercedes awarded the vehicle a medallion, and benefits. The benefits, if the vehicle broke down, call the Mercedes phone number and he nearest Mercedes dealer would be contacted to perform the following serves (at no charge).

I traded in that first one, for after all the front seats were made of leather and the drivers seat had a worn spot from my a$$, for the one I am currently driving,

After reading this I just realized that my current Mercedes is 21 years old - heck old enough to vote !

Oh and for those who are interested in return on investment, the Mercedes cost just slightly more than a fully equipped similar Cadallac

My mileage when I first got my Pathfinder was good for an SUV. Of course, now I have 2 Priuses, My finace drives the 2006 and I drive the 2011. The 2006 gets around 45 MPG and mine gets around 50 MPG. If the tech goes the way I'm hoping, my next car (in 3 years or so) will be a Tesla and MPG will be meaningless.

My Pathfinder was a 1998 purchased in the fall of 1997 and I put the first 250,000 on in the first 9 years. It cost around 27K. Each of the Priuses cost around 24K (in $ for the appropriate year) and I got the highest level package for each that didn't have leather seats. Lots of fun tech in the Priuses. Even more in the Telsa. I'm hoping the high-level package price drops to around $50K.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• bitbucket-25253 (8/9/2013)

Ed Wagner (8/9/2013)

When I was working for Mercedes in the early 80's we also had a customer who had put over 1 million kilometres on his 1956 190 Diesel (was a taxi). And he also got a plaque and an invite to the Sindelfingen factory. If I could afford it, Merc would be the car to go for, no matter what series, from A to S. Not too thrilled about the M though. Way too much a yuppie, look-at-me-I-can-afford-the-SUV kind of a car. Ranks with the Porsche Cayenne in my mind. Like in "really"?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Brandie Tarvin (8/2/2013)

How many people (besides Jeff and myself) have written SQL Spackle articles?

How many SQL Spackle articles are there?

Yes, I have a reason for asking. But I want to share it with the Spackle authors first before I say anything else.

Waiting with worms on my tongue ("baited" breath :-D), what's up with this?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (8/10/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (8/2/2013)

Yes, I have a reason for asking. But I want to share it with the Spackle authors first before I say anything else.

Yuck! :sick:

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• dwain.c (8/10/2013)

Jeff Moden (8/10/2013)

Shouldn't those worms on the tongue be maggots in the nostrils? :w00t:

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (8/11/2013)

dwain.c (8/10/2013)

Jeff Moden (8/10/2013)

Shouldn't those worms on the tongue be maggots in the nostrils? :w00t:

It can be both!

• L' Eomot Inversé (8/9/2013)

ChrisM@Work (8/9/2013)

dwain.c (8/9/2013)

ChrisM@Work (8/9/2013)

Doesn't Scotland begin just beyond Watford?

This reply reminded me of an eye-opening quote by so-called Brit Artist Tracey Emin which put the revolting seaside town of Margate on the map. Something about first romance, and not family material so I won't quote it here. Tracey was born in Croydon - notorious for crime and Kate Moss - and moved to Margate as a child. Both towns are south of London. Moss might say that Croydon is South London. Whilst possibly not quite in the same league as Port Moresby for murder, rape and robbery, next to Middlesbrough and Redcar, Beverley and Hull in the North East they're like gated communities.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Stefan Krzywicki (8/9/2013)

L' Eomot Inversé (8/9/2013)

ChrisM@Work (8/9/2013)

dwain.c (8/9/2013)

ChrisM@Work (8/9/2013)

Who says it's ended? 😛

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Jeff Moden (8/10/2013)

Sometime in the 1970's IIRC there was a "temporal cluster" of oral cancer in the coarse fishing community in the UK, which was traced back to dyes used to colour the maggots used as bait. Coarse fishermen routinely warm up the critters to make them more active - by popping them in the mouth for a few minutes.

• ChrisM@Work (8/12/2013)

L' Eomot Inversé (8/9/2013)

ChrisM@Work (8/9/2013)

dwain.c (8/9/2013)

ChrisM@Work (8/9/2013)

Who says it's ended? 😛

If it hasn't ended yet, maybe someone ought to rename it.

Viewing 15 posts - 40,876 through 40,890 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply