Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Ed Wagner (8/12/2013)

If it hasn't ended yet, maybe someone ought to rename it.

Well, it's a bad name anyway considering the war actually lasted 116 years in our universe. 🙂

• Ed Wagner (8/12/2013)

ChrisM@Work (8/12/2013)

Stefan Krzywicki (8/9/2013)

L' Eomot Inversé (8/9/2013)

ChrisM@Work (8/9/2013)

dwain.c (8/9/2013)

ChrisM@Work (8/9/2013)

Port Moresby - ranked 139th of 140 cities for liveability, whatever that means. I wonder which city came last? What's the grub like?

Food's OK. Some Aussie steaks but very expensive place to live. The guy I'm staying with pays about $2500 a week for the house his company rents for him.

Low on the liveability list because crime is very high. Murder, rape and robbery are national past times.

Good guys I'm doing work for though. They're takin' care of me.

Sounds just like the north-east of England, only a better climate and no Aussie steaks!

I hadn't realised that London counted as the North-East of England these days, I thought you still had to be north of Harringay (or maybe north of Highgate Golf Club) to count as North of England, and surely you can't be in the NE if you are not in the N?

Nah, he's just from a universe where the 100 years war ended differently.

Who says it's ended? 😛

If it hasn't ended yet, maybe someone ought to rename it.

The Aquitaine Wars?

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Ed Wagner (8/9/2013)

Stefan Krzywicki (8/9/2013)

For me the investment is getting something that I won't have to spend much on during its lifetime. I drove my Pathfinder 276,000 miles and kept it for 14 years before I traded it in. I was happy they gave me anything for it. I didn't drive it much the last 6 years as I had a Prius by then as well, but neither car has cost much in the way of repairs.

If you want to keep a car that long and drive it that far, buy it new.

A car actually lasted for 276,000 miles??? That's impressive. I've heard of some holder Honda models making it to the low 200's, but nothing that high.

The SO's Subaru Impreza made it somewhere between 308 - 350 before he sold it to someone who worked at the dealership. Last I heard, the silly thing is still going strong a year and 1/2 later.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Jeff Moden (8/10/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (8/2/2013)

How many people (besides Jeff and myself) have written SQL Spackle articles?

How many SQL Spackle articles are there?

Yes, I have a reason for asking. But I want to share it with the Spackle authors first before I say anything else.

Waiting with worms on my tongue ("baited" breath :-D), what's up with this?

There you go, old bait breath. (Thanks for the reminder. GenCon prep has me insane with work and I forgot about this).

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (8/12/2013)

Jeff Moden (8/10/2013)

Yes, I have a reason for asking. But I want to share it with the Spackle authors first before I say anything else.

There you go, old bait breath. (Thanks for the reminder. GenCon prep has me insane with work and I forgot about this).

Hi there, it's your Monday Morning Pedant here. I more than half suspect that Jeff and Brandie know this and are just being ironic, but the phrase is "bated breath", with "bated" as the adjectival form of "bate", meaning "to moderate or restrain." So waiting with bated breath means one is holding one's breath in anticipation, while waiting with baited breath suggests one needs some Tic Tacs or something because one's breath STINKS!

Jason Wolfkill

• wolfkillj (8/12/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (8/12/2013)

Jeff Moden (8/10/2013)

Hi there, it's your Monday Morning Pedant here. I more than half suspect that Jeff and Brandie know this and are just being ironic, but the phrase is "bated breath", with "bated" as the adjectival form of "bate", meaning "to moderate or restrain." So waiting with bated breath means one is holding one's breath in anticipation, while waiting with baited breath suggests one needs some Tic Tacs or something because one's breath STINKS!

I offered Jeff some breath mints. He turned me down because they weren't sardine-flavored. @=)

• ChrisM@Work (8/12/2013)

Jeff Moden (8/10/2013)

Sometime in the 1970's IIRC there was a "temporal cluster" of oral cancer in the coarse fishing community in the UK, which was traced back to dyes used to colour the maggots used as bait. Coarse fishermen routinely warm up the critters to make them more active - by popping them in the mouth for a few minutes.

What is it with the UK and unusual exposure-related malignancy?

WARNING - the linked article includes graphic descriptions (fortunately, no illustrations) of cancers afflicting males exclusively. Proceed at your own risk!

Jason Wolfkill

• Brandie Tarvin (8/12/2013)

wolfkillj (8/12/2013)

Jeff Moden (8/10/2013)

I offered Jeff some breath mints. He turned me down because they weren't sardine-flavored. @=)

Don't worry, I'm sure the stinky breath will fade soon. Then he can wait with abated breath.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• wolfkillj (8/12/2013)

Jeff Moden (8/10/2013)

My take is that everone knows the difference and it is used for a humorous effect; not to be confused with a humeris effect. Though, that might be funny, too.

• Jan Van der Eecken (8/10/2013)

When I was working for Mercedes in the early 80's we also had a customer who had put over 1 million kilometres on his 1956 190 Diesel (was a taxi). And he also got a plaque and an invite to the Sindelfingen factory. If I could afford it, Merc would be the car to go for, no matter what series, from A to S. Not too thrilled about the M though. Way too much a yuppie, look-at-me-I-can-afford-the-SUV kind of a car. Ranks with the Porsche Cayenne in my mind. Like in "really"?

I heard about that guy.

I'd say the older Mercedes are amazing. However I think in the 90s the quality fell off. I'm not sold on them anymore. My Mom loved them, owned 3 or 4 over the years, but moved to a Lexus (SC series) a few years ago and loves it. She thinks the Lexus quality is there.

I do like the Cayenne, and am seriously considering one. I think it's got a muscle car look in an SUV. I'm planning on going to drive some in the next few months, as well as a few others, and see what I think.

• The Cayenne definitely has a muscle car engine. I saw a TV program once where it actually won in a heads-up 1/4 mile against a motorcycle. Before anyone asks, I don't remember which bike it was or anything. However you look at the race, the performance point was made.

• Well, in a little over an hour, I'm going to be picking up my shiny new BRZ...

Went for a test ride on Saturday, chewed over all the pros and cons of keeping / not keeping the Charger, slept on it, chewed on it some more, and finally we decided to go for it...

Maybe later this week I'll get a photo of it, with me in a Speedo leaning against it, and post the pic here...

:hehe:

• jasona.work (8/12/2013)

Well, in a little over an hour, I'm going to be picking up my shiny new BRZ...

Went for a test ride on Saturday, chewed over all the pros and cons of keeping / not keeping the Charger, slept on it, chewed on it some more, and finally we decided to go for it...

Maybe later this week I'll get a photo of it, with me in a Speedo leaning against it, and post the pic here...

Well, after sleeping on the Charger and chewing on the Charger, I'm surprised if you'll get much of a trade-in!

• jasona.work (8/12/2013)

you know we can't unsee things, right? Please feel free to post a generic picture the car, without you in it.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/12/2013)

jasona.work (8/12/2013)

you know we can't unsee things, right? Please feel free to post a generic picture the car, without you in it.

How about with a banana-hammock, instead?

(OK, I guess I can keep this family-friendly, and just post the car...)

😀

Viewing 15 posts - 40,891 through 40,905 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply