• Jan Van der Eecken (8/15/2013)

wolfkillj (8/15/2013)

Jan Van der Eecken (8/15/2013)

jasona.work (8/15/2013)

Jan Van der Eecken (8/14/2013)

jasona.work (8/14/2013)

Ed Wagner (8/14/2013)

jasona.work (8/14/2013)

Ah, so much fun being on a contract job...

"We've got a bunch of hours to spare, do you want to work 9-10 hour days for the next 6 weeks?"

Of course, the corrolary to that would be:

"There's only enough hours left for you to work 32 hours a week, pick a day to not be here."

Thankfully this time I'm in the top situation...

Yeah, the money is nice, but now you're not going to get to drive your new car.

But that also means fewer miles on it, and money to get snow tires and cheap steel rims for the winter...

😎

Snow tires, that reminds me of "home". Getting chains too?

No, this is one of those cars with not enough space between the tires and the body for chains...

Besides, this is Michigan, we don't need no stinkin' chains!

Actually thinking about the winter with this car, and the *most* fun will be getting out of the driveway some mornings...

We're on a school route, so the plows come down the street our drive opens on, and of course leave a pile of snow at the end of the driveway...

So I'm either going to need to clear a *LOT* of the street to keep the mound down, or get up early to clear the end of the drive before I leave in the morning. Or hope we have a light winter, with little snow (which now means we'll end up with about 3ft by Thanksgiving...)

I know the feeling. But maybe you should have gone for the Forester after all? Not that it'll take you through 3ft of nicely ploughed-up snow though. You'd need a Merc Unimog to accomplish that πŸ™‚

I've been thrown a bit by references to Mercedes as "Merc" - in the US, that nickname was historically applied to the Mercury nameplate.

That's what we call a Mercedes down here in SA. And a BMW is a Beamer.

What's a Mercury nameplate btw? Guess not what Freddy Mercury would have worn around his neck?

"Nameplate" = brand of automobile, also known as "make" in the US, so called after the metal brand emblems affixed to automobiles. Mercury was a longtime nameplate for Ford - in later years, many Mercury models were built on the same platforms as Ford models, but with nicer trim, finishes, and features, e.g. the Ford Crown Victoria and the Mercury Grand Marquis.

A Beamer is a Beamer in the US, too.

Jason Wolfkill

jasona.work (8/15/2013)

jasona.work (8/14/2013)

Ed Wagner (8/14/2013)

jasona.work (8/14/2013)

"We've got a bunch of hours to spare, do you want to work 9-10 hour days for the next 6 weeks?"

"There's only enough hours left for you to work 32 hours a week, pick a day to not be here."

But that also means fewer miles on it, and money to get snow tires and cheap steel rims for the winter...

😎

No, this is one of those cars with not enough space between the tires and the body for chains...

Actually thinking about the winter with this car, and the *most* fun will be getting out of the driveway some mornings...

We're on a school route, so the plows come down the street our drive opens on, and of course leave a pile of snow at the end of the driveway...

So I'm either going to need to clear a *LOT* of the street to keep the mound down, or get up early to clear the end of the drive before I leave in the morning. Or hope we have a light winter, with little snow (which now means we'll end up with about 3ft by Thanksgiving...)

I know the feeling. But maybe you should have gone for the Forester after all? Not that it'll take you through 3ft of nicely ploughed-up snow though. You'd need a Merc Unimog to accomplish that πŸ™‚

Mmm, UniMOG...

Maybe for the winter I can borrow one of these from where I work:

MRAP

• jasona.work (8/15/2013)

jasona.work (8/14/2013)

Ed Wagner (8/14/2013)

jasona.work (8/14/2013)

😎

Just pack the snow at the end of the drive into a ramp!

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

jasona.work (8/15/2013)

jasona.work (8/14/2013)

Ed Wagner (8/14/2013)

jasona.work (8/14/2013)

😎

Mmm, UniMOG...

MRAP

Guess I now know who you work for.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

jasona.work (8/15/2013)

jasona.work (8/15/2013)

jasona.work (8/14/2013)

Ed Wagner (8/14/2013)

jasona.work (8/14/2013)

😎

Mmm, UniMOG...

MRAP

If you're at TACOM over in Warren, then you're absolutely right - you don't need snow tires. They generally plow that area pretty well. I-696 is always painful anyway. BTW, I'm in Bloomfield Hills.

Oh yeah...very nice toy. Test drive, anyone? πŸ˜€

• Ed Wagner (8/15/2013)

jasona.work (8/15/2013)

jasona.work (8/15/2013)

jasona.work (8/14/2013)

Ed Wagner (8/14/2013)

jasona.work (8/14/2013)

😎

Mmm, UniMOG...

MRAP

If you're at TACOM over in Warren, then you're absolutely right - you don't need snow tires. They generally plow that area pretty well. I-696 is always painful anyway. BTW, I'm in Bloomfield Hills.

Oh yeah...very nice toy. Test drive, anyone? πŸ˜€

Test drive one? Hey, you must be kidding! Anytime! Just get them to stuff one of them into one of the USAF Boeing C-17's that appear at Cape Town International every now and again (last time in June before President Obama arrived). I'll gladly take it for a spin through the Kalahari or Namib desert. And I'm sure some of my friends would enjoy a ride in the back as well πŸ˜€

In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Koen Verbeeck (8/14/2013)

And this post marks my 10,000th one on SSC! 😎 😎 :w00t: (and some of them were actually useful!)

Nice job man! I have appreciated your posts. Good stuff.

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

• Oh the unfettered joy and terror of that "oh sh1t" moment...

The one when you realize / find out that the DB you just restored into production from QA was the wrong one (because in your mind you transitioned from the DB named mydbname_stagin to mydbname_data)

Followed by the sudden relief of remembering (after your brief burst of paniced "oh crap my resume needs to be updated") that you took a backup of the production DB before you ran the restore...

Yeah, that really happened to me 5 minutes ago...

Oh the unfettered joy and terror of that "oh sh1t" moment...

The one when you realize / find out that the DB you just restored into production from QA was the wrong one (because in your mind you transitioned from the DB named mydbname_stagin to mydbname_data)

Followed by the sudden relief of remembering (after your brief burst of paniced "oh crap my resume needs to be updated") that you took a backup of the production DB before you ran the restore...

Glad you took that backup. Good reminder to the rest of us too.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

Yeah, the backup before running scripts to update production has saved me a couple of times. Never restored over the top of production, though. That would induce panic. Like Stefan said, it serves as a good reminder for everyone.

So glad I'm just a developer. And accidental DBA for the Dev boxes... And yes, they, the other devs, will blame me if something goes wrong, but then why TF don't they look after their own DBs in the first place.

As an aside, why would you restore a QA backup over Prod?

Edited: Meant QA, not Dev, coz that would even be worse.

• In this case, the DB that was going to Prod is being "re-purposed." The one on Prod I was to restore over-top (same name and everything) isn't being used, and the Devs had been making their changes to the QA version. I think as for why they're re-using a DB, rather than a new DB, is the bureaucratic hoops required to get a DB created...

In this case, the DB that was going to Prod is being "re-purposed." The one on Prod I was to restore over-top (same name and everything) isn't being used, and the Devs had been making their changes to the QA version. I think as for why they're re-using a DB, rather than a new DB, is the bureaucratic hoops required to get a DB created...

Friggin red tape. But then again, it was Prod, so I guess it somehow warrants it, even if the DB is unused. One never knows whether there's that one remote client who might in 3 years time require access to that database for obscure reasons. Rules are rules after all. Still doesn't warrant reusing the same database. Just back it up, delete it, then wait for someone to complain. And reclaim the space the old DB held for the new one of course.

• Koen Verbeeck (8/14/2013)

ChrisM@Work (8/14/2013)

... Not bad for a European.

I shall take this as a compliment! πŸ˜€

Hartelijk gefeliciteerd, Koen.

I need to start posting more replies so we can show the rest of the world what we as the little Flemish Bastion in Big Europe can accomplish.

Koen Verbeeck (8/14/2013)

ChrisM@Work (8/14/2013)

... Not bad for a European.

I shall take this as a compliment! πŸ˜€

Hartelijk gefeliciteerd, Koen.

I need to start posting more replies so we can show the rest of the world what we as the little Flemish Bastion in Big Europe can accomplish.

Bedankt πŸ˜‰

Johan (ALZDBA) is also trying to keep up our pride, but I guess he's been quite busy lately.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Viewing 15 posts - 40,936 through 40,950 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply