Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jan Van der Eecken (8/15/2013)

jasona.work (8/15/2013)

In this case, the DB that was going to Prod is being "re-purposed." The one on Prod I was to restore over-top (same name and everything) isn't being used, and the Devs had been making their changes to the QA version. I think as for why they're re-using a DB, rather than a new DB, is the bureaucratic hoops required to get a DB created...

Friggin red tape. But then again, it was Prod, so I guess it somehow warrants it, even if the DB is unused. One never knows whether there's that one remote client who might in 3 years time require access to that database for obscure reasons. Rules are rules after all. Still doesn't warrant reusing the same database. Just back it up, delete it, then wait for someone to complain. And reclaim the space the old DB held for the new one of course.

Except around here, even QA has red tape to almost the same level as Prod...

• jasona.work (8/15/2013)

Jan Van der Eecken (8/15/2013)

jasona.work (8/15/2013)

In this case, the DB that was going to Prod is being "re-purposed." The one on Prod I was to restore over-top (same name and everything) isn't being used, and the Devs had been making their changes to the QA version. I think as for why they're re-using a DB, rather than a new DB, is the bureaucratic hoops required to get a DB created...

Friggin red tape. But then again, it was Prod, so I guess it somehow warrants it, even if the DB is unused. One never knows whether there's that one remote client who might in 3 years time require access to that database for obscure reasons. Rules are rules after all. Still doesn't warrant reusing the same database. Just back it up, delete it, then wait for someone to complain. And reclaim the space the old DB held for the new one of course.

Except around here, even QA has red tape to almost the same level as Prod...

Same over here, working on a project at THE BANK that Gail was involved in, I mean THE BANK, not the project. πŸ˜‰

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• jasona.work (8/14/2013)

Ed Wagner (8/14/2013)

Sean Lange (8/13/2013)

Ed Wagner (8/13/2013)

Congratulations on getting the car. I agree that a picture would be nice...hold the Speedo, please. Be sure to include a picture of the engine. πŸ˜€

Be careful how you word this Ed. We do not want him to post a picture of him holding his Speedo anymore than we want one of him wearing it. :sick:

AHHH!!! :blush: This qualifies as one of the biggest "oops" I've ever done. To make it as unambiguous as possible, I'll quote Steve:

you know we can't unsee things, right? Please feel free to post a generic picture the car, without you in it.

Just the car, please.

πŸ˜€

Now for why people *HATE* playing board games with me! RULES LAWYERING!!!

You'l note Steve said without me *in it* In what? In the car? OK, I can post with me *ON* the car!

πŸ˜€

Later today, once I get home, I'll post a couple pics of the car and the motor, sans me...

OK Rules Lawyer. Was "it" referring to the car or to the speedo or to the picture?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I'm prepping a table, which has gotten kind of large, for partitioning. While I've found some workarounds for it, it seems bloody incredible to me that you cannot rebuild a partitioned index at the partition level in an online fashion. It seriously negates one of the major reasons to do the partitioning to begin with.

Someone opened a CONNECT item on the subject a little over a year ago and, while it is still in an "active" status, only 31 votes have been placed.

If you agree that being able to rebuild a partitioned index at the partition level in an online fashion is important, help spread the word and let's get some votes on this important item. Here's the link to the CONNECT item...

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/721891/online-rebuild-of-a-clustered-or-nonclustered-index-of-a-partitioned-table#tabs

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (8/15/2013)

I'm prepping a table, which has gotten kind of large, for partitioning. While I've found some workarounds for it, it seems bloody incredible to me that you cannot rebuild a partitioned index at the partition level in an online fashion. It seriously negates one of the major reasons to do the partitioning to begin with.

Someone opened a CONNECT item on the subject a little over a year ago and, while it is still in an "active" status, only 31 votes have been placed.

If you agree that being able to rebuild a partitioned index at the partition level in an online fashion is important, help spread the word and let's get some votes on this important item. Here's the link to the CONNECT item...

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/721891/online-rebuild-of-a-clustered-or-nonclustered-index-of-a-partitioned-table#tabs

Now 32 FOR votes

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Jeff Moden (8/15/2013)

While I've found some workarounds for it, it seems bloody incredible to me that you cannot rebuild a partitioned index at the partition level in an online fashion.

Online single partition index rebuild is present in SQL Server 2014 CTP 1.

• Paul White (8/15/2013)

Jeff Moden (8/15/2013)

While I've found some workarounds for it, it seems bloody incredible to me that you cannot rebuild a partitioned index at the partition level in an online fashion.

Online single partition index rebuild is present in SQL Server 2014 CTP 1.

I was just going to look that up because I thought it was one of the upgrades in 2014. Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• SQLRNNR (8/15/2013)

jasona.work (8/14/2013)

Ed Wagner (8/14/2013)

Sean Lange (8/13/2013)

Ed Wagner (8/13/2013)

Congratulations on getting the car. I agree that a picture would be nice...hold the Speedo, please. Be sure to include a picture of the engine. πŸ˜€

Be careful how you word this Ed. We do not want him to post a picture of him holding his Speedo anymore than we want one of him wearing it. :sick:

AHHH!!! :blush: This qualifies as one of the biggest "oops" I've ever done. To make it as unambiguous as possible, I'll quote Steve:

you know we can't unsee things, right? Please feel free to post a generic picture the car, without you in it.

Just the car, please.

πŸ˜€

You'l note Steve said without me *in it* In what? In the car? OK, I can post with me *ON* the car!

πŸ˜€

Later today, once I get home, I'll post a couple pics of the car and the motor, sans me...

OK Rules Lawyer. Was "it" referring to the car or to the speedo or to the picture?

Based on the format of the sentence, and the comma placement:

Please feel free to post a generic picture the car, without you in it.

"It" is referring to the car. There's no mention of the speedo anywhere. Now, if he had written:

Please feel free to post a generic picture the car, without you in the picture.

Or

Please feel free to post a generic picture the car, and if you're going to be in the picture, be appropriately dressed.

We wouldn't be having this discussion, and at worst, you'd get a picture of the car with me perhaps going either hipster (skinny jeans, flannel shirt, socks and sandals) or "bro" mode (skintight t-shirt, jeans, and slicked back hair.)

:hehe:

• Grant Fritchey (8/16/2013)

I was just going to look that up because I thought it was one of the upgrades in 2014. Thanks.

No worries πŸ™‚

• jasona.work (8/16/2013)

SQLRNNR (8/15/2013)

jasona.work (8/14/2013)

Ed Wagner (8/14/2013)

Sean Lange (8/13/2013)

Ed Wagner (8/13/2013)

Just the car, please.

πŸ˜€

πŸ˜€

"It" is referring to the car. There's no mention of the speedo anywhere. Now, if he had written:

Or

Please feel free to post a generic picture the car, and if you're going to be in the picture, be appropriately dressed.

We wouldn't be having this discussion, and at worst, you'd get a picture of the car with me perhaps going either hipster (skinny jeans, flannel shirt, socks and sandals) or "bro" mode (skintight t-shirt, jeans, and slicked back hair.)

Skip the lawyering, where's the picture of the car?

SQLRNNR (8/15/2013)

jasona.work (8/14/2013)

Ed Wagner (8/14/2013)

Sean Lange (8/13/2013)

Ed Wagner (8/13/2013)

Just the car, please.

πŸ˜€

πŸ˜€

Or

You forgot that hipster includes those skinny jeans revealing at least 90% of your undergarments. And since a speedo was already mentioned, we'll assume that to be the undergarment of choice which leads to a 100% display of undergarment in hipster mode.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Ed Wagner (8/16/2013)

Um, I keep forgetting to take a decent pic...

πŸ˜›

Ed Wagner (8/16/2013)

πŸ˜›

Too busy taking those indecent pics?

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (8/16/2013)

jasona.work (8/16/2013)

Ed Wagner (8/16/2013)

πŸ˜›

/Insert 70s' p0rn music here

Um, no?

Stefan Krzywicki (8/16/2013)

jasona.work (8/16/2013)

Ed Wagner (8/16/2013)

πŸ˜›

/Insert 70s' p0rn music here

Um, no?

Bow chicka wah wah!

πŸ˜€

Jason Wolfkill

Viewing 15 posts - 40,951 through 40,965 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply