Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Koen Verbeeck (8/21/2013)

In the category of "Are the posted answers getting worse?"

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1485861-1063-1.aspx

From now on I shall answers questions in the following manner:

"I have no flipping clue. Please post the solution once you found it."

It will save me a whole bunch of time!

😀

Why in heavens name would anyone want to do something like this?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Lynn Pettis (8/26/2013)

Jack Corbett (8/26/2013)

GilaMonster (8/26/2013)

One more added - Indexes with a leading bit column are useless

I'll probably attend just for this one. I would currently argue that you'd be better off leading with the other key columns in order to see the index get used more often and adding the bit column later in the index, or if your most common queries where bitColumn = 1 having a filtered index with the other key columns and a filter on the bit column. As always I'm sure I'll be proved incorrect in your session, but I'm definitely interested in learning the why.

Had an index like that on several tables at a previous employer. The bit flag indicated if a row was historical or current. Most queries against this table were for current data which was less than 10% of the total data. Was a very useful index to have, especially on a SQL Server 2000 system.

In our datawarehouse, we used views for current record only.

Although on most files, updates were more the exception.

The use of the view was easier for user queries, as they didn't have to remember to select the current record.

• Brandie Tarvin (8/27/2013)

Koen Verbeeck (8/21/2013)

😀

You mean the original question or posting a response like that? If you mean the response, it is likely because they want to know if there's an answer, but don't know how to subscribe to a topic without replying.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

😀

I stopped asking myself the "why?" a long long time ago 😀

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Stefan Krzywicki (8/27/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (8/27/2013)

😀

You mean the original question or posting a response like that? If you mean the response, it is likely because they want to know if there's an answer, but don't know how to subscribe to a topic without replying.

The original question, actually. A different Excel sheet for each record? Ouch.

BTW, I survived (barely) GenCon. Hello. How is everyone doing?

And... y'all are weird. Just saying. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• BTW, I'm having a contest over on my blog. If you're interested in a free PDF of the Shadowrun Fifth Edition rules, stop on by and log a comment.

http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/102622.html

Stefan Krzywicki (8/27/2013)

😀

The original question, actually. A different Excel sheet for each record? Ouch.

BTW, I survived (barely) GenCon. Hello. How is everyone doing?

And... y'all are weird. Just saying. @=)

Yeah, that does seem questionable.

How was GenCon? Have fun or was it a working holiday?

We're headed to WorldCon tomorrow morning.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• GenCon was a working vacation. I worked 3 eight hour shifts in the Catalyst Game Labs booth, helping run the Shadowrun Experience (the interactive demo of our fifth edition rules). People had lots of fun and by Saturday, our entire day's groups had all been filled up an hour & 1/2 after the dealer's room opened.

GenCon was a working vacation. I worked 3 eight hour shifts in the Catalyst Game Labs booth, helping run the Shadowrun Experience (the interactive demo of our fifth edition rules). People had lots of fun and by Saturday, our entire day's groups had all been filled up an hour & 1/2 after the dealer's room opened.

That's great! I've always liked the feel of Shadowrun. Several good gaming systems there. (Card & RPG)

• Paul White (8/26/2013)

Jack Corbett (8/26/2013)

I would currently argue that you'd be better off leading with the other key columns in order to see the index get used more often and adding the bit column later in the index, or if your most common queries where bitColumn = 1 having a filtered index with the other key columns and a filter on the bit column.

Having an index with a leading bit column is certainly pretty "useless" from a cardinality estimation point of view. Data-distribution information (the statistics histogram) is only created for the first column in the index key. Placing the bit column later in the index key, but before any columns used in inequality tests is a reasonable fix for that, and might be more generally useful, as you say..

A filtered index is also an option, though they can be a bit of a double-edged sword. Having the filtering columns in the keys means Halloween Protection might be needed more often; having a filter on a column that is not in the keys can cause incorrect results and/or suboptimal query plans. There again, just using a filtered index at all can also result in suboptimal plans, so the answer isn't simple (how strange! ha ha).

Worse than "useless", we ran into a major problem on a table that suffered a pretty high insert rate. As soon as someone put an index with a bit column as the leading column on the table, the system immediately began having timeouts on all the inserts because of all the splits that began occurring. Even a FILLFACTOR of 70 didn't help but for the first couple of seconds.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

GenCon was a working vacation. I worked 3 eight hour shifts in the Catalyst Game Labs booth, helping run the Shadowrun Experience (the interactive demo of our fifth edition rules). People had lots of fun and by Saturday, our entire day's groups had all been filled up an hour & 1/2 after the dealer's room opened.

Dang it Brandie, quit spending my money for me! Now I *really* want to go to GenCon next year!

Mmm, BattleTech, Ogre, Car Wars, $4 hot dogs...

:hehe:

• Stefan Krzywicki (8/27/2013)

That's great! I've always liked the feel of Shadowrun. Several good gaming systems there. (Card & RPG)

I can't wait until Crossfire comes out. A deck-building team-playing version of Shadowrun.

• jasona.work (8/27/2013)

Dang it Brandie, quit spending my money for me! Now I *really* want to go to GenCon next year!

Mmm, BattleTech, Ogre, Car Wars, $4 hot dogs...

:hehe:

Hey, the hot dogs aren't that much if you walk over to the mall. @=)

I'm also willing to meet up and jaw with anyone here who ends up at GenCon next year.

Stefan Krzywicki (8/27/2013)

I can't wait until Crossfire comes out. A deck-building team-playing version of Shadowrun.

A friend is very addicted to the card game (he keeps stats). He'll be excited about this too.

• Can someone please help this poor gentleman deny restore rights to a sysadmin

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1489312-359-1.aspx

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 41,086 through 41,100 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply