Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (8/28/2013)

Can someone please help this poor gentleman deny restore rights to a sysadmin

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1489312-359-1.aspx

If I understand his OP, he did it to himself.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• GilaMonster (8/28/2013)

Can someone please help this poor gentleman deny restore rights to a sysadmin

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1489312-359-1.aspx

My question is this: "does the individual still have a job after something like that?"

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Now, that's interesting. Was looking for a book on SSAS on Amazon. Found "Professional Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Analysis Services with MDX and DAX". Printed version costs $32.48, but the Kindle version costs $32.86? Why is the electronic version more expensive? Plus I'd need to buy a Kindle on top of it...

Anyone got any book recommendations for a newbie BTW?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (8/29/2013)

Now, that's interesting. Was looking for a book on SSAS on Amazon. Found "Professional Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Analysis Services with MDX and DAX". Printed version costs $32.48, but the Kindle version costs $32.86? Why is the electronic version more expensive? Plus I'd need to buy a Kindle on top of it...

The cost issue is normal here in the UK as electronic books are taxed (VAT) and paper ones not.

You do not need a Kindle, see 'Kindle for PC'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000423913&tag=googhydr-21&hvadid=12512271126&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1160564701063718535&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_11v6qirqy2_b

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• David Burrows (8/29/2013)

Jan Van der Eecken (8/29/2013)

Now, that's interesting. Was looking for a book on SSAS on Amazon. Found "Professional Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Analysis Services with MDX and DAX". Printed version costs $32.48, but the Kindle version costs $32.86? Why is the electronic version more expensive? Plus I'd need to buy a Kindle on top of it...

The cost issue is normal here in the UK as electronic books are taxed (VAT) and paper ones not.

You do not need a Kindle, see 'Kindle for PC'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000423913&tag=googhydr-21&hvadid=12512271126&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1160564701063718535&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_11v6qirqy2_b

Oreilly are doing 50% (60% on 100 dollars or more) at the moment and it on their web site - more expensive at full price than Amazon, but cheaper at 50%!

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9781118101100.do

I just use the kindle app for these - works well on the I-pad. Don't know how the PC version compares.

Cheers,

Rodders...

Curious. I always thought that VAT was applied to all "processed" items. Could you inform a clueless American as to why paper books don't get VAT applied?

As to Kindle and Nook, they both have PC apps (and mobile apps for that matter) that work fairly well. Though I prefer Nook. Gotta love platform independence.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (8/29/2013)

David Burrows (8/29/2013)

Curious. I always thought that VAT was applied to all "processed" items. Could you inform a clueless American as to why paper books don't get VAT applied?

Here's the situation in Belgium:

everything in Belgium has 21% VAT, except some exceptions.

One of those exceptions are "cultural items".

Books (in paper) are considered part of culture, so they only have 6% VAT, which makes them cheaper. However, digital books, CDs, DVDs, BluRays et cetera are not considered "under culture", so they get the full 21% VAT, making them quite expensive.

And that's just one of the many, many stupid legislations in our little country 🙂

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Interesting how different countries handle VAT on "books" differently. Down here books are rated at 14% VAT like any other item. But, if you import them there's a hefty import duty to be paid. Don't ask me how much exactly, but it happened to me a few years ago. Then again, on one delivery from Amazon, even a few years earlier I didn't pay a Cent.

Anyhow, got the book from Amazon (thanks Rod, but despite the O'Reilly offer of 50% off it doesn't appear as such on the bill once you order), and the VAT amount is 0%. 🙂 Now gotta read 1100-odd pages... On-screen...

And thanks David for the tip on the PC Kindle version. Got it.

In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Brandie Tarvin (8/29/2013)

Stupid government :crazy:

VAT in the UK varies a lot.

re http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/forms-rates/rates/goods-services.htm#7

And specifically an excerpt from HMRC Reference:Notice 701/10 (December 2011)

2. The format of the Group 3 items

The words in Group 3 are used in their ordinary, everyday sense. This means they are restricted to goods produced on paper and similar materials such as card (but see paragraph 3.7). Most items qualifying for the zero-rating will be products of the printing industry (including items printed in Braille), but goods which are photocopied, typed or hand-written will, in some cases, also qualify.

Goods containing text in other formats such as audio or video cassettes or CD Rom are standard-rated. This includes the storage and distribution of text by fax, e-mail, microfiche, or any similar process. Transcripts or print-outs made of such information are zero-rated if they are supplied in the form of books, booklets, brochures, pamphlets or leaflets as defined in section 3.

The supply of text by electronic transmission (including e-books), via the internet, or similar means is also standard-rated. Such supplies are of services, not of goods, and different VAT rules will apply to them (such as those on the place of supply of services – see Notice 741A Place of supply of services.

Anon.

• Jan Van der Eecken (8/29/2013)

And thanks David for the tip on the PC Kindle version. Got it.

You're welcome 😀

Anon.

So you'd think, but Amazon has managed to find a loophole in this arrangement for Kindle books and pay the Luxembourg rate (3%) rather than the UK rate (20%) for digital goods, so that argument doesn't really wash.

Brandie Tarvin (8/29/2013)

The words in Group 3 are used in their ordinary, everyday sense. This means they are restricted to goods produced on paper and similar materials such as card (but see paragraph 3.7). Most items qualifying for the zero-rating will be products of the printing industry (including items printed in Braille), but goods which are photocopied, typed or hand-written will, in some cases, also qualify.

Goods containing text in other formats such as audio or video cassettes or CD Rom are standard-rated. This includes the storage and distribution of text by fax, e-mail, microfiche, or any similar process. Transcripts or print-outs made of such information are zero-rated if they are supplied in the form of books, booklets, brochures, pamphlets or leaflets as defined in section 3.

The supply of text by electronic transmission (including e-books), via the internet, or similar means is also standard-rated. Such supplies are of services, not of goods, and different VAT rules will apply to them (such as those on the place of supply of services – see Notice 741A Place of supply of services.

How odd Jan,

When I've just added to the basket the 50% came up straightaway. I wonder if it's only available in certain countries?

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (8/29/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (8/29/2013)

How odd Jan,

When I've just added to the basket the 50% came up straightaway. I wonder if it's only available in certain countries?

Rodders...

Might well be.

• HowardW (8/29/2013)

So you'd think, but Amazon has managed to find a loophole in this arrangement for Kindle books and pay the Luxembourg rate (3%) rather than the UK rate (20%) for digital goods, so that argument doesn't really wash.

I was not aware of the difference to be honest, only that e-books were taxed.

Maybe it is covered by the paragraph highlighted in my previous post in respect of 'the place of supply of services (as e-books are classed as a service)

Maybe it is just another vagary of UK VAT rules and the many loopholes people seem to find.

Anon.

• Always fun the day after an emergency SAN firmware update which requires all SQL VMs and physical Oracle servers to be shut down...

Thankfully, the update went smooth, all my SQL are running happy, our Sharepoint farm is happy, the Oracle are up and running...

Now for a llloooonnnnngggggg ssllloooowwwww daayyy...

:hehe:

Viewing 15 posts - 41,101 through 41,115 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply