Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jan Van der Eecken (9/7/2013)

Jan Van der Eecken (9/3/2013)

SQLRNNR (9/2/2013)

Koen Verbeeck (9/1/2013)

GilaMonster (8/31/2013)

Just ....

Microsoft will no longer offer Masters and Architect level training rotations and will be retiring the Masters level certification exams as of October 1, 2013.

Sent late on a Friday night, right before a USA long weekend.

At least I no longer have to worry about budgeting for the upgrade exam.

That's just sad.

For those that haven't seen it yet

Connect Item on the Retirement of MCM

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/799431/please-dont-get-rid-of-the-mcm-and-mca-programs

And a lengthy summary of the whole thing

http://jasonbrimhall.info/2013/09/02/rare-species-extinction-and-the-mcm/

Tried to vote for it, but then I get

"The system has encountered an unexpected error. We apologize for the inconvenience. The issue will be addressed as quickly as possible."

And now I get a "Page Not Found" error instead?

Trolls decided to use Connect as a means to personally attach Paul Randal so the connect item was closed.

http://www.jenstirrup.com/2013/09/why-i-asked-microsoft-to-close-mcm.html

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (9/7/2013)

Jan Van der Eecken (9/7/2013)

SQLRNNR (9/2/2013)

Koen Verbeeck (9/1/2013)

GilaMonster (8/31/2013)

Just ....

Microsoft will no longer offer Masters and Architect level training rotations and will be retiring the Masters level certification exams as of October 1, 2013.

That's just sad.

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/799431/please-dont-get-rid-of-the-mcm-and-mca-programs

"The system has encountered an unexpected error. We apologize for the inconvenience. The issue will be addressed as quickly as possible."

Trolls decided to use Connect as a means to personally attach Paul Randal so the connect item was closed.

Personally attach Paul Randal? Not quite following...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (9/8/2013)

SQLRNNR (9/7/2013)

SQLRNNR (9/2/2013)

Koen Verbeeck (9/1/2013)

GilaMonster (8/31/2013)

Just ....

That's just sad.

typo

SSC spellcheck didn't read my mind.

trolls used it as breeding ground and started attacking Paul Randal and SQLSkills.

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (9/8/2013)

Jan Van der Eecken (9/8/2013)

SQLRNNR (9/7/2013)

SQLRNNR (9/2/2013)

Koen Verbeeck (9/1/2013)

GilaMonster (8/31/2013)

Just ....

That's just sad.

typo

SSC spellcheck didn't read my mind.

trolls used it as breeding ground and started attacking Paul Randal and SQLSkills.

Now why TF would they do that? Paul is one of the very few guys I totally respect.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (9/8/2013)

Now why TF would they do that? Paul is one of the very few guys I totally respect.

Anonymous. Need for attention. Fun (for them). Who knows.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (9/8/2013)

Jan Van der Eecken (9/8/2013)

Anonymous. Need for attention. Fun (for them). Who knows.

They get brave in their basement at mommy's house and do something they'd never do face to face

Learn Extended Events

• Maybe we should have a thread on "are the posted Questions of the Day getting worse?". Probably not; QotD has always been unreliable, and although it isn't getting any better it also isn't getting any worse. There's nothing sensible and practical that can be done about it, so why have a thread on it?

Another one today with four options to choose from, all incorrect. Today there's no imaginable way of interpreting the words to make any of the answers correct since one could run the code and see immediately that the result is none of the four options. I didn't do that, because I know that the string 'A NULL' will be truncated when implicitly converted to the CHAR(1) datatype without having to run the code. I think I'll wait a while and see if it gets corrected, maybe if it doesn't I won't bother to answer it. Perhaps others are thinking the same way; there are no answers yet, but usually a few tens of people in time zone where it's already after 12:30 in the afternoon have attempted the day's question by this time of day.

Last Thursday's wrong "correct" answer was maybe not so bad, as it was less obviously wrong; or maybe worse, as it risks reinforcing something that could become another T-SQL myth. It could be (certainly is, I think) just misuse of English that meant a wrong answer was "correct" and the right answer was not a small difference in the phrasing of the question would fix it (today's question could only be fixed by changing the "correct" answer so that it is actually correct. I wonder how many of the people who got the "right" answer thought that calling the SP results in instant deletion of the files, which is what making the that the "correct" answer implies, because that's a nascent myth (the QotD isn't the only place I've seen it) that is being reinforced by that QotD.

Tom

• I have founds hundreds of answers to my questions or dilema of the moment and never had to post a question. The information is probably already there if you search for it and most times if find improvements to the improvements to the original answer which save me even more time and testing.

• bob_balok (9/9/2013)

I have founds hundreds of answers to my questions or dilema of the moment and never had to post a question. The information is probably already there if you search for it and most times if find improvements to the improvements to the original answer which save me even more time and testing.

Welcome to the thread! Or the watercooler as some people affectionally call it.

You may not have noticed it, but your post was number 41228 in this thread, so congrats! 😀

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Not sure anyone noticed, but we passed the three year anniversary of the thread. Thank the gods the terrible twos are over. Our little... thread... is a toddler now.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (9/9/2013)

Not sure anyone noticed, but we passed the three year anniversary of the thread. Thank the gods the terrible twos are over. Our little... thread... is a toddler now.

Time to toddler proof SSC. Make sure there are locks on all the cupboards.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Hey is anyone going to be at the SQLSaturday this week in Orlando or next week in Providence? If you are be sure we see each other.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack Corbett (9/9/2013)

Hey is anyone going to be at the SQLSaturday this week in Orlando or next week in Providence? If you are be sure we see each other.

I will be in Providence

Learn Extended Events

• Jack Corbett (9/9/2013)

Grant Fritchey (9/9/2013)

Not sure anyone noticed, but we passed the three year anniversary of the thread. Thank the gods the terrible twos are over. Our little... thread... is a toddler now.

Time to toddler proof SSC. Make sure there are locks on all the cupboards.

We should have been doing that ever since the thread could walk. Or, as in the case of my kids, since the thread could climb (which came before they walked).

Learn Extended Events

• Grant Fritchey (9/9/2013)

Yes, I noticed that - nearly 2 years ago. Has the battery failed in your calendar?

The message which began the thread happened on November 18, 2008.

Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 41,221 through 41,235 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply