Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Stefan Krzywicki (9/25/2013)

I always figured they were fired by a disc-gun-like device or a catapult-like device.

You mean a SpinFusor?

😀

wolfkillj (9/25/2013)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/25/2013)

No need for a potato gun, lathe, or automation.

If you need it peeled, find someone that deserves a little punishment. Kids are good for this, but the rogue developer who's introduced too many bugs works just as well. Deploy paring knife and well wishes.

If you want to hit something with a flying potato, throw it.

Where's the fun in that? Plus, I highly doubt that I can throw a 153-mph fast-potato.

Maybe if you stand atop a sufficiently tall structure? What's the terminal velocity of a potato?

Oh! Change your frame of reference! Then to others it'll be 153 MPH.

Well, what I'm after is 153 mph muzzle velocity, so I'd rather not wait on the acceleration of gravity.

I suppose if I stood in the bed of a truck traveling 100 mph, I could manage to add enough acceleration to get the potato up to 153 mph, but I really don't want to stand in the bed of a truck traveling 100 mph!

Jason Wolfkill

• wolfkillj (9/25/2013)

Stefan Krzywicki (9/25/2013)

wolfkillj (9/25/2013)

If you need it peeled, find someone that deserves a little punishment. Kids are good for this, but the rogue developer who's introduced too many bugs works just as well. Deploy paring knife and well wishes.

Where's the fun in that? Plus, I highly doubt that I can throw a 153-mph fast-potato.

Maybe if you stand atop a sufficiently tall structure? What's the terminal velocity of a potato?

Well, what I'm after is 153 mph muzzle velocity, so I'd rather not wait on the acceleration of gravity.

I suppose if I stood in the bed of a truck traveling 100 mph, I could manage to add enough acceleration to get the potato up to 153 mph, but I really don't want to stand in the bed of a truck traveling 100 mph!

On top of a train at 160 MPH would be better. Then you could gently toss it backwards

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• wolfkillj (9/25/2013)

but I really don't want to stand in the bed of a truck traveling 100 mph!

Why not? There are those of who did that all the time as a kid and many of us turned out fine...the ones who didn't fall out of the truck or turn out to be sql nerds. 😀

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• wolfkillj (9/25/2013)

What's the terminal velocity of a potato?

European or African?

Unladen or laden with butter, sour cream, bacon bits, etc.?

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• GilaMonster (9/25/2013)

Someone want to add a voice of reason to this?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1493948-391-1.aspx

I'd try but that tempDB thread has worn me out.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

wolfkillj (9/25/2013)

Stefan Krzywicki (9/25/2013)

wolfkillj (9/25/2013)

On top of a train at 160 MPH would be better. Then you could gently toss it backwards

Sadly, the cost of a plane ticket to a place where I could ride a train at 160 mph would probably make this cost-prohibitive, although the idea is intriguing. Here's one more justification for building high-speed rail in the U.S.!

Jason Wolfkill

• The Dixie Flatline (9/25/2013)

wolfkillj (9/25/2013)

European or African?

Surely there's no such thing as European potato? American and African are the options, and the African variety isn't actually a potato at all. Unless of course your talking about potato-based redipes (in which case there are more Indian and chinese than European).

Tom

• Jack Corbett (9/25/2013)

GilaMonster (9/25/2013)

Indeed. Though it's good to know I have definitely have problems with my code (based solely on the fact that TempDB is 200GB) :sick:

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Jack Corbett (9/25/2013)

GilaMonster (9/25/2013)

Indeed. Though it's good to know I have definitely have problems with my code (based solely on the fact that TempDB is 200GB) :sick:

That sounds horrible; fortunately, I've missed the tempdb thread somehow- I don't look for nes questions as often as maybe I should. I've seen the store allocation thread, though, and haven't responded because I would not have been able to be sufficiently self-restrained and politically correct on the first point raised (why the store usage doesn't instantly leap to max) to avoid giving offense to the OP. Yes, there is perhaps a problem there (I think, maybe, given how the OP insists on it) but what the OP originally asked indicated a perfectly sound and happy system with no problem; and even if there is a problem there, it appears not to be any sort of SQL Server problem, but some other app or service wanting to grab lots of store. You've told him that often enough - if I leapt in to tell him the same it would be a bit OTT (besides which, anyone who has already been told by you and doesn't believe it isn't going to believe a nonentity like me, unless they are unbelievably silly).

Tom

Jack Corbett (9/25/2013)

GilaMonster (9/25/2013)

I think you already have been the voice of reason. The OP seems unwilling to accept the answer because of some unknown reason. I don't like doing it, but sometimes when people won't accept the answer, you just have to walk away. To employ an old axiom, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink". This may be one of those situations. Yes, we all like to solve problems and help people, but this looks like it's more about the person than it is about the problem.

• L' Eomot Inversé (9/25/2013)

The Dixie Flatline (9/25/2013)

wolfkillj (9/25/2013)

European or African?

Surely there's no such thing as European potato? American and African are the options, and the African variety isn't actually a potato at all. Unless of course your talking about potato-based redipes (in which case there are more Indian and chinese than European).

Idaho or Russet?

I can see some of us out this weekend dropping taters out of buildings.

Or maybe into the Grand Canyon.

• L' Eomot Inversé (9/25/2013)

Greg Edwards-268690 (9/25/2013)

Jeff Moden (9/25/2013)

I forgot to mention a feature of the original that I made. I had beveled the muzzle so that it would cut the potato to the perfect shape as it was being muzzle loaded. I usually wore gloves to keep my hand from taking on the appearance of a donut hole. It worked very well.

The link to the potato spiral cutter makes me wonder about rifling the tube.

So you wore gloves to prevent cuts? Or DNA evicence?

Perect shape for sealing.

Somewhere pork chops come inot play.

Maybe as barrel lube.

Nah, no pork chops in a potato gun; I see pork chops as being fired half a dozen (or maybe a few more) at a time from an unrifled 9 inch muzzle loading shotgun using a hollowed out half water melon as a discarding cup sabot, with muzzle loaded bagged black powder as propellant and of course appropriate use of damp sponges to avoid the thing firing when you poke the next bag in. I think you can easily get 7 pork chops into half a water melon - if not, either use larger water melons or smaller chops of reduce the numer of rounds per shot.

I'm sure Jeff has some better mechanism than I have been able to think of, but short of using a metal sabot in a linear accelerator to fire single chops I'm not sure where to go with chop gun design, and firing single chops is futile at any but extremely short ranges because their aerodynamic properties are such that the accuracy is unlikely to be what is desirable.

Sounds like my grape-shot cannon. 😛

The pork-chop launcher is actually a very close range (point blank, in fact) attention getter and it's purely mechanical. 3 bands seem to be the limit for me. I no longer have the strength to fully draw back o 4 bands. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jack Corbett (9/25/2013)

GilaMonster (9/25/2013)

Is that the one where the fellow didn't understand than any TempDB settings made without a reasonable history were purely a SWAG ad someone else chimed in with recommending a 50MB intial setting for the MDF?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Greg Edwards-268690 (9/25/2013)

So you wore gloves to prevent cuts? Or DNA evicence?

Heh... damn. Secret is out. 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 41,416 through 41,430 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply