Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden (9/26/2013)

Jack Corbett (9/25/2013)

GilaMonster (9/25/2013)

Someone want to add a voice of reason to this?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1493948-391-1.aspx

I'd try but that tempDB thread has worn me out.

Is that the one where the fellow didn't understand than any TempDB settings made without a reasonable history were purely a SWAG ad someone else chimed in with recommending a 50MB intial setting for the MDF?

Well, if someone's going to be using SWAG, hopefully they also use the YOLO (You Only Lock Once) parameter, too!

... Ok, hit me with the orbital pork chops now :w00t:

- 😀

• Jeff Moden (9/26/2013)

Jack Corbett (9/25/2013)

GilaMonster (9/25/2013)

Is that the one where the fellow didn't understand than any TempDB settings made without a reasonable history were purely a SWAG ad someone else chimed in with recommending a 50MB intial setting for the MDF?

Yup, but two other people unless I'm mistaken.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (9/26/2013)

Jeff Moden (9/26/2013)

Jack Corbett (9/25/2013)

GilaMonster (9/25/2013)

Yeh... that was a bit crazy. I got a bunch o' PMs from the OP, as well. That one person who pointed to one of Paul's articles as the "source" of the 50MB intial size recommendation was absolutely "precious".

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (9/26/2013)

GilaMonster (9/26/2013)

Jeff Moden (9/26/2013)

Jack Corbett (9/25/2013)

GilaMonster (9/25/2013)

Yeh... that was a bit crazy. I got a bunch o' PMs from the OP, as well. That one person who pointed to one of Paul's articles as the "source" of the 50MB intial size recommendation was absolutely "precious".

Heh... I shouldn't have looked. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment. I just saw that second person who joined in with the 50MB initial size recommendation. I wonder where people get these notions. I won't mention the author but I do remember one famous SQL book that recommended that you didn't have to worry about presizing databases because the default autogrowth would take care of all that.

Hmmm... I just might have to build a pork chop launcher with more of a range to it.:-P

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• GilaMonster (9/18/2013)

Stefan Krzywicki (9/18/2013)

GilaMonster (9/18/2013)

L' Eomot Inversé (9/18/2013)

Don't need to is surely an understatement: you are not allowed to, I think?

If you mean the SELECT * INTO, unfortunately that's allowed. I've cleaned so many of those out of client code.

I can't convince them that SELECT * INTO is bad.

May I suggest a cricket bat?

Can each of us take turns with the bat?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• hisakimatama (9/20/2013)

*Huff* *Wheeze* I... I did it! I managed to read the entirety of The Thread! That was... Interesting :-D. Been lurking around here, being generally amazed at the questions posted and everyone's unwavering insistence on being helpful despite the odds. The community here is great indeed.

I may chime in here a bit here and there, if you all won't mind, and if the rollercoaster of subjects strikes my fancy. Hopefully I won't eat a high-velocity pork chop or two in the near future 🙂

Are you still sane?:-D:-D:-D

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (9/26/2013)

hisakimatama (9/20/2013)

*Huff* *Wheeze* I... I did it! I managed to read the entirety of The Thread! That was... Interesting :-D. Been lurking around here, being generally amazed at the questions posted and everyone's unwavering insistence on being helpful despite the odds. The community here is great indeed.

I may chime in here a bit here and there, if you all won't mind, and if the rollercoaster of subjects strikes my fancy. Hopefully I won't eat a high-velocity pork chop or two in the near future 🙂

Well, after reading so many posts about kilts, pork chops, Cthulhu, DBCC TimeWarp, hamster poo, and considering my last post in the thread... Probably not :w00t:

- 😀

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/25/2013)

No need for a potato gun, lathe, or automation.

If you need it peeled, find someone that deserves a little punishment. Kids are good for this, but the rogue developer who's introduced too many bugs works just as well. Deploy paring knife and well wishes.

If you want to hit something with a flying potato, throw it.

I like that idea. Mess duty for bad developers. S-w-eeeeeee-t

Learn Extended Events

• hisakimatama (9/26/2013)

SQLRNNR (9/26/2013)

hisakimatama (9/20/2013)

Well, after reading so many posts about kilts, pork chops, Cthulhu, DBCC TimeWarp, hamster poo, and considering my last post in the thread... Probably not :w00t:

Wow - I'd forgotten all about those lonely hamsters.

Learn Extended Events

• hisakimatama (9/26/2013)

SQLRNNR (9/26/2013)

hisakimatama (9/20/2013)

What?? No mention of the Tent in the Desert and its Guard Hippo????!!!!???? 😀

• Lynn Pettis (9/26/2013)

hisakimatama (9/26/2013)

SQLRNNR (9/26/2013)

hisakimatama (9/20/2013)

What?? No mention of the Tent in the Desert and its Guard Hippo????!!!!???? 😀

Oh, whoops, how could I forget? That faithful hippo's been on guard duty far past the breaking point for your garden-variety hippo, and it's still ticking 😀

- 😀

• I know most Threadizens know I am currently deployed in Afghanistan as a civilian contractor.

I was notified this evening that my position state side has been cut as part of company layoff. Unlike my fellow workers state side whose last day of employment is tomorrow, I still have a job here in Afghanistan. What I don't have is a job to come home to now. It looks like I will also be extending out here until February 2014 at this time as well (Yea me!! And yes, I am excited about this).

What this means is I am reaching out to start my job search now while I am still working. Yes, I would like to stay out here as long as possible. The money is really good and offers me the opportunity to put money aside should I come home to a continuing job search.

I will be reworking my resume over the next week or so. I would like to stay in the Colorado Springs area as I still have a daughter in High School (she is a sophomore now).

I telecommute position would be ideal.

With this news, I have some other news.

My ex-wife and I are getting back together. Yes, we are giving reconciliation a try. This deployment to Afghanistan opened a door and we both stepped through.

For me it started when she and my youngest daughter took me to the airport to start my journey to Afghanistan. She started to cry as we said good bye at the airport. I couldn't stop myself from telling her I loved her.

We have talked openly almost every day since then. It has been a blessed journey for me, and a confusing one for her.

It was during our talks I found out it started for her the night before I left while she was fixing my going away dinner. I stayed at her (our) house that night having moved out of my apartment that day so she and Kylie could take me to the airport the following morning.

I know most Threadizens know I am currently deployed in Afghanistan as a civilian contractor.

I was notified this evening that my position state side has been cut as part of company layoff. Unlike my fellow workers state side whose last day of employment is tomorrow, I still have a job here in Afghanistan. What I don't have is a job to come home to now. It looks like I will also be extending out here until February 2014 at this time as well (Yea me!! And yes, I am excited about this).

What this means is I am reaching out to start my job search now while I am still working. Yes, I would like to stay out here as long as possible. The money is really good and offers me the opportunity to put money aside should I come home to a continuing job search.

I will be reworking my resume over the next week or so. I would like to stay in the Colorado Springs area as I still have a daughter in High School (she is a sophomore now).

My ex-wife and I are getting back together. Yes, we are giving reconciliation a try. This deployment to Afghanistan opened a door and we both stepped through.

For me it started when she and my youngest daughter took me to the airport to start my journey to Afghanistan. She started to cry as we said good bye at the airport. I couldn't stop myself from telling her I loved her.

We have talked openly almost every day since then. It has been a blessed journey for me, and a confusing one for her.

It was during our talks I found out it started for her the night before I left while she was fixing my going away dinner. I stayed at her (our) house that night having moved out of my apartment that day so she and Kylie could take me to the airport the following morning.

Wow Lynn that is awesome news!!! A little scary about the job and the reconciliation but if she is even half as reasonable as your are you should be able to work things out. Very happy to hear your good news and glad things are starting to turn around for you. I know it has been a struggle for quite some time.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

I know most Threadizens know I am currently deployed in Afghanistan as a civilian contractor.

Congrats on the reconciliation and wish you all the best.

Alos best of luck in your job search.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• C'mon Grant, put your marketing cap on and go for it:

Red-Gate SQL DBA Bundle

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Viewing 15 posts - 41,431 through 41,445 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply