Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeffrey Williams (5/11/2009)

Alvin Ramard (5/11/2009)

Grant Fritchey (5/11/2009)

Well to get the thread back "on topic" (as if), this one has managed to raise my blood pressure with his/her response.

Suffice to say. I'm done.

Someone needs to respond with: "Well Excuse ME!!!!"

You might want to point out to this individual that in SQL Server 2008 - you can have a higher precision on the datetime columns and their method will ignore those values.

Not sure it will help though 😉

Jeffrey,

If this was actually meant for me in regards to comparing datetime data with "Between", yes, I pointed out that his approach would fail with "future versions" that handle datetime to a finer granularity. Also, I never got a direct response for what the objection was to changing the comparison, either. Maybe "between" is just a favorite construct.

*** Once again, I see evidence that the Quote', button can be a bit flaky.

• john.arnott (5/11/2009)

Jeffrey Williams (5/11/2009)

Alvin Ramard (5/11/2009)

Grant Fritchey (5/11/2009)

Well to get the thread back "on topic" (as if), this one has managed to raise my blood pressure with his/her response.

Suffice to say. I'm done.

Someone needs to respond with: "Well Excuse ME!!!!"

You might want to point out to this individual that in SQL Server 2008 - you can have a higher precision on the datetime columns and their method will ignore those values.

Not sure it will help though 😉

Jeffrey,

If this was actually meant for me in regards to comparing datetime data with "Between", yes, I pointed out that his approach would fail with "future versions" that handle datetime to a finer granularity. Also, I never got a direct response for what the objection was to changing the comparison, either. Maybe "between" is just a favorite construct.

*** Once again, I see evidence that the Quote', button can be a bit flaky.

I find it beneficial to refresh the page just before clicking on the Quote button.

• With MY name on it ??? :w00t:

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious (5/11/2009)

With MY name on it ??? :w00t:

We referees don't give cards, players EARN them. That's where I get the adage "I may have a Yellow(Red) Card with your name on it" when I'm officiating a game.

• Paul White (5/11/2009)

RBarryYoung (5/11/2009)

Hmm, I seem to recall that this issue in 2000 was if the ORDER BY contained an expression, instead of just a column.

At the risk of being told off (there are rules in here?):

Barry, are you referring to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/287515?

The explanation in the KB is:

The ANSI SQL-92 specification requires that any column referenced by an ORDER BY clause match the result set, defined by the columns present in the SELECT list. When an expression is applied to a member of an ORDER BY clause, that resulting column is not exposed in the SELECT list, resulting in undefined behavior.

So the reason, and 'workaround' (if you can call it that) are both clear.

Paul

Oh yes, that's it. It's a very humorus kb article if you have the right perspective. For instance, here we have a product that has no official commitment whatsoever to the ANSI Standard, unable to defend it's software's behavior with their own documentation, reverting instead to the ANSI specs, ... Which They Do NOT Support! For instance, how far do you think that I would get if a filed a CONNECT entry, reporting SQL Server's failure to implement all of the Windowed Aggregates (particularly SUM(..) Over(order by..)) as a bug?

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Barry, yes it is funny, now that you point it out! :laugh:

• Anything and everything is fair game.

Including DBA's :satisfied:

Pork Chops, lock and load :w00t:

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• David Burrows (5/12/2009)

Anything and everything is fair game.

Including DBA's :satisfied:

Pork Chops, lock and load :w00t:

Especially DBA's.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (5/12/2009)

David Burrows (5/12/2009)

Anything and everything is fair game.

Including DBA's

Especially DBA's.

Are apostrophe's [sic] on special offer or something?

😛

• Are apostrophe's [sic] on special offer or something?

Yep. I get a bonus for each subtle (mis)use of a quote. :w00t:

Double for " 😀

But DBA"s is just so blatently obvious 😛

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Lynn Pettis (5/11/2009)

Bob Hovious (5/11/2009)

No rules?! Then why are you fingering your red card in a threatening manner, Lynn? 😛

I'm not fingering any red card. Oh, wait, you mean this card with your name on it?? 😛

and, which FINGER would it be?????? 😀

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Sometimes I wonder why I post full solutions including test data when the OP doesn't run the test code.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic714364-8-2.aspx

Then complains that I didn't provide a solution that meets their need. I understand that they may not understand the code, but if they run the test code provided they would see that is does meet their requirements, even if not the best solution.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• GilaMonster (5/11/2009)

Gaby Abed (5/11/2009)

Ahhh...those were the days, I actually had an Enterprise technical manual and briefly had in my posession the Klingon/English dictionary.

But not anymore... (<-- he adds hastily) 😀

I still have both, somewhere.

I always thought it was awesome that someone took the time to actually create a language for Klingon. Similar to Tolkein's creation of orc and elven languages, although he was a linguist, so he was more likely to do so.

Had a buddy who had a really interesting book about the 'science of Star Trek', talked about how the sci-fi ideas have become or are becoming reality in many ways. Scanners, virtual reality, photon torpedos, etc. fun stuff.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Jack Corbett (5/12/2009)

Sometimes I wonder why I post full solutions including test data when the OP doesn't run the test code.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic714364-8-2.aspx%5B/url%5D

Then complains that I didn't provide a solution that meets their need. I understand that they may not understand the code, but if they run the test code provided they would see that is does meet their requirements, even if not the best solution.

The link doesn't work, at least for me.

• It does if you remove everything before the <br&gt

Edit: rather remove everything to the left including the <br&gt

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 4,291 through 4,305 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply