Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Grant Fritchey (5/11/2009)

Well to get the thread back "on topic" (as if), this one has managed to raise my blood pressure with his/her response.

Suffice to say. I'm done.

I had to fight an urge to recommend that he skip books on SQL till he's been through a couple on spelling, punctuation and grammar.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (5/11/2009)

Grant Fritchey (5/11/2009)

Well to get the thread back "on topic" (as if), this one has managed to raise my blood pressure with his/her response.

I had to fight an urge to recommend that he skip books on SQL till he's been through a couple on spelling, punctuation and grammar.

I don't think that would hurt him too much either. Were Strunk & White Indian?

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Gaby Abed (5/11/2009)

Ahhh...those were the days, I actually had an Enterprise technical manual and briefly had in my posession the Klingon/English dictionary.

But not anymore... (<-- he adds hastily) πŸ˜€

I still have both, somewhere.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (5/11/2009)

Gaby Abed (5/11/2009)

Ahhh...those were the days, I actually had an Enterprise technical manual and briefly had in my posession the Klingon/English dictionary.

But not anymore... (<-- he adds hastily) πŸ˜€

I still have both, somewhere.

Gail, maybe you should sell the dictionary to Google Translate? They seem to still have quite deep pockets.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (5/11/2009)

Someone needs to respond with: "Well Excuse ME!!!!"

You might want to point out to this individual that in SQL Server 2008 - you can have a higher precision on the datetime columns and their method will ignore those values.

Not sure it will help though πŸ˜‰

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• GSquared (5/11/2009)

Send the OP a Klingon dictionary?

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Maxims of a Klingon Code Warrior:

10. Specifications are for the weak and timid!

9. You question the worthiness of my code? I should kill you where you stand!

8. Indentation?! - I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!

7. What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not make software 'releases'.

Our software ESCAPES… leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.

6. Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments'

– AND THEY ALWAYS WIN THEM.

5. Debugging? Klingons do not debug. Our software does not coddle the weak.

4. A TRUE Klingon Warrior does not add comments to his code!

3. Klingon software does NOT have BUGS. It has FEATURES, and those features are too

sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand.

2. You cannot truly appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the original Klingon.

1. Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious (5/11/2009)

8. Indentation?! - I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!

Don't forget, no indentation saves the environment. More spaces need more disk space and more industry. That's a kind of "Green IT"! :laugh:

• RBarryYoung (5/11/2009)

Hmm, I seem to recall that this issue in 2000 was if the ORDER BY contained an expression, instead of just a column.

At the risk of being told off (there are rules in here?):

Barry, are you referring to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/287515?

The explanation in the KB is:

The ANSI SQL-92 specification requires that any column referenced by an ORDER BY clause match the result set, defined by the columns present in the SELECT list. When an expression is applied to a member of an ORDER BY clause, that resulting column is not exposed in the SELECT list, resulting in undefined behavior.

So the reason, and 'workaround' (if you can call it that) are both clear.

Paul

• Paul White (5/11/2009)

RBarryYoung (5/11/2009)

Hmm, I seem to recall that this issue in 2000 was if the ORDER BY contained an expression, instead of just a column.

At the risk of being told off (there are rules in here?):

Barry, are you referring to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/287515?

The explanation in the KB is:

The ANSI SQL-92 specification requires that any column referenced by an ORDER BY clause match the result set, defined by the columns present in the SELECT list. When an expression is applied to a member of an ORDER BY clause, that resulting column is not exposed in the SELECT list, resulting in undefined behavior.

So the reason, and 'workaround' (if you can call it that) are both clear.

Paul

STEVE!!!!!

They're doing it again!!

More Technical info in THE THREAD!!!

πŸ˜›

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Florian Reischl (5/11/2009)

Snitch!

πŸ˜€

:oP~~~~~~~~~~

Alvin Ramard

• Are you saying hat you have NEVER had a technical conversation at the water cooler or in the hallway?

There are no rules here. Anything and everything is fair game.

• No rules?! Then why are you fingering your red card in a threatening manner, Lynn? πŸ˜›

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious (5/11/2009)

No rules?! Then why are you fingering your red card in a threatening manner, Lynn? πŸ˜›

I'm not fingering any red card. Oh, wait, you mean this card with your name on it?? πŸ˜›

Viewing 15 posts - 4,276 through 4,290 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply