Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Sean Lange (4/4/2014)

I think I have finally officially lost my marbles. In addition to coaching 2 soccer teams, playing in 2 adult leagues and being the Cubmaster for my son's sub scout pack I have now signed up to play in a third league. I now have soccer games Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays. First game for the Friday league is tonight. Pretty excited about this one. This is on super nice fields at a brand new soccer complex. And being night games is always fun playing under the lights.

That's it Sean, rub it in. I miss being out there on the pitch as it is, but hearing about all the soccer you will get to play is more than enough! 😉

Have fun and stay safe out there!

• Lynn Pettis (4/4/2014)

Sean Lange (4/4/2014)

I think I have finally officially lost my marbles. In addition to coaching 2 soccer teams, playing in 2 adult leagues and being the Cubmaster for my son's sub scout pack I have now signed up to play in a third league. I now have soccer games Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays. First game for the Friday league is tonight. Pretty excited about this one. This is on super nice fields at a brand new soccer complex. And being night games is always fun playing under the lights.

That's it Sean, rub it in. I miss being out there on the pitch as it is, but hearing about all the soccer you will get to play is more than enough! 😉

Surely you have been able to find a game out there in the sand right after your 12 hours shift. When you come back to the states maybe you can make a trip through Kansas City. We can find a way to get you in as a sub.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (4/4/2014)

Greg Edwards-268690 (4/4/2014)

SQLRNNR (4/4/2014)

Sean Lange (4/4/2014)

I usually limit the list to two choices: "right" or "right now".

Good solid choices. Tough call. Eeny meeny miney mo!

Right Now implies you drop everything to do my special project.

Right Now by its very nature implies Fast.

Time is Money.

It seems the list is limited to one choice.

I can see at some point in the near future, you being tarred an feathered for slowing the process by offering such a ridiculous option as "Right".

I love that "Right" or "Right Now" choice - it makes things so clear :-P.

And I agree that the list is limited (at least for most salesmen, program managers, project managers, and senior managers in teh development tree) to only one option - the wrong one ;-).

LOL Greg. I do sometimes get seen as the obstinate one who doesn't want to play by the same rules as everyone else. I am the guy who always asks the hard questions which sometimes makes me seem the pessimist. My canned response to being told I am the pessimistic one? "What is the difference between an optimist and pessimist?" Experience.

I used a slightly different line back in the days when I could get away with it. It went like this:-

- Tom, why are you almost always the most pessimistic person in these meetings?

- It's because I'm always the only competent engineer in the room, and that's because you never invite any other engineers.

In those days I was a pretty junior manager, nevertheless that line usually stopped the argument, because people knew that if it didn't I might well take it up the management tree and the top management really didn't like non-tech people overriding tech people about tech questions. I was very sad a few years later when we had new managers, who really hated tech people trying to overrule non-tech people on tech questions :crying: - that was a really great company right down the ****ing tubes :angry:.

Tom

• Sean Lange (4/4/2014)

Lynn Pettis (4/4/2014)

Sean Lange (4/4/2014)

Surely you have been able to find a game out there in the sand right after your 12 hours shift. When you come back to the states maybe you can make a trip through Kansas City. We can find a way to get you in as a sub.

It isn't that I want to play as much as I want to get back out there and officiate, especially the kids.

• TomThomson (4/3/2014)

Lynn Pettis (4/3/2014)

TomThomson (4/3/2014)

You can have it fast, cheap, or right - pick only one of the three.

I thought that was 2 of 3? When did this change? I don't remember seeing the memo?

Well, there is an interesting paradox: if you pick "right" as the one of the three you insist on, you stand a chance of getting it fast and cheap, so you can sometimes get all three. But if you start from cheap it will go wrong, and take a long time to fix, which may ead to budget overruns so aiming for cheap won't deliver fast or right and is rather unlikely to deliver cheap, and if you start from "fast" and want 2 man years work done in 2 days and put hundreds of people on it with no time to plan the work or coordinate the many teams you are pretty well guaranteed an expensive and buggy result that isn't available until long after you wanted it. So the only one of the three you should pick is "right" and then you may get the other two as well, whereas if you pick either of the others you will probably get none of the three.

However, non-technical managers (and most technical managers too, in fact) don't understand this, so they have to be offered the choice - and allowing them to pick two of the three guarantees failure, so they should only be allowed to choose one so that there's at least some chance of success. I've even known an accountant pick "get it right" as his preferred option, so there's always some chance if you restrict them to one of the three.

We're cut from the same cloth on that subject. Picking "right" usually results more than one form of "right".

Unfortunately, some people just don't listen, egos get involved, and a lot of people feel the need to contribute to the definition of what's "right" even though they don't have a clue, which strongly contributes to the "impossibility factor" that someone else mentioned. I've only been in a small handful of design meetings that didn't follow the pattern in the following clip. Just substitute you favorite project name for "7 Red Lines" and, for the love of Pete, take a red marker to your next design meeting!:-P Managers, don't forget the potential for ballooning costs! :hehe:

http://failblog.cheezburger.com/share/59643393

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• So on Thursday I was asked to help analyze a batch process for a third-party product that originally took 2 hours and is now 19+ hour process that sometimes fails. No escalating waits, no obvious metrics out of whack, just a long running process. It looks like there are client-side cursors to do aggregation and then insert aggregate data. I haven't totally verified that yet. The best part is that the application is a Java application which likely means hibernate (that's what the queries look like to me). The best part is that JDBS drivers default to sending all string data in Unicode (NVARCHAR(4000)) and the database is all char/varchar. Every query that has a sting parameter has a CONVERT_IMPLICIT(NCHAR(N), column) = @nvarcharparameter. So every query is either doing an index seek on an index based on numeric parameters followed by a key lookup, or a clustered index scan because no indexes are covering indexes. I tested a few of the queries, just changing NVARCHAR(4000) to VARCHAR(4000) and in each test the plan went to a clustered index seek because all the parameters in the query are on columns in the clustered index, and each query returns one row. The best part is that it can be fixed by adding an attribute to the connection string that will pass string parameters as varchar. I can't make the change, I can only recommend the change to the vendor.

I was told that one of their early comments is that our database is too big. I think it is around a 100GB and the biggest table has about 3.7 million rows.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack Corbett (4/6/2014)

So on Thursday I was asked to help analyze a batch process for a third-party product that originally took 2 hours and is now 19+ hour process that sometimes fails. No escalating waits, no obvious metrics out of whack, just a long running process. It looks like there are client-side cursors to do aggregation and then insert aggregate data. I haven't totally verified that yet. The best part is that the application is a Java application which likely means hibernate (that's what the queries look like to me). The best part is that JDBS drivers default to sending all string data in Unicode (NVARCHAR(4000)) and the database is all char/varchar. Every query that has a sting parameter has a CONVERT_IMPLICIT(NCHAR(N), column) = @nvarcharparameter. So every query is either doing an index seek on an index based on numeric parameters followed by a key lookup, or a clustered index scan because no indexes are covering indexes. I tested a few of the queries, just changing NVARCHAR(4000) to VARCHAR(4000) and in each test the plan went to a clustered index seek because all the parameters in the query are on columns in the clustered index, and each query returns one row. The best part is that it can be fixed by adding an attribute to the connection string that will pass string parameters as varchar. I can't make the change, I can only recommend the change to the vendor.

I was told that one of their early comments is that our database is too big. I think it is around a 100GB and the biggest table has about 3.7 million rows.

Of course it has to be the database, the code runs just fine against our test database with only a couple of hundred rows of data in the biggest table. 😛

• SQLRNNR (4/4/2014)

dwain.c (4/3/2014)

Many thanks to Steve for syndicating my blogs on SSC:

DwainCSQL[/url]

And my apologies for making you work so hard at it.

Well well well, another blog to read. I don't know how I missed it. Looks like you have plenty of articles up there in a short time.

The reason there are so many in such a short span of time is I'm moving them from the original site. Haven't quite completed the backlog yet.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• I recently heard the phrase "the guy is like so /dev/null" (referring to a SysAdmin, but it could be anyone who you need to do something for you for a system you don't have access to)

This has amused me no end this morning as so many computer geek types I have met over the years exactly fit the description.

In fact I fit that description pre-coffee on a Monday morning.

Just thought I'd share this with y'all 😉

• Lynn Pettis (4/6/2014)

Jack Corbett (4/6/2014)

So on Thursday I was asked to help analyze a batch process for a third-party product that originally took 2 hours and is now 19+ hour process that sometimes fails. No escalating waits, no obvious metrics out of whack, just a long running process. It looks like there are client-side cursors to do aggregation and then insert aggregate data. I haven't totally verified that yet. The best part is that the application is a Java application which likely means hibernate (that's what the queries look like to me). The best part is that JDBS drivers default to sending all string data in Unicode (NVARCHAR(4000)) and the database is all char/varchar. Every query that has a sting parameter has a CONVERT_IMPLICIT(NCHAR(N), column) = @nvarcharparameter. So every query is either doing an index seek on an index based on numeric parameters followed by a key lookup, or a clustered index scan because no indexes are covering indexes. I tested a few of the queries, just changing NVARCHAR(4000) to VARCHAR(4000) and in each test the plan went to a clustered index seek because all the parameters in the query are on columns in the clustered index, and each query returns one row. The best part is that it can be fixed by adding an attribute to the connection string that will pass string parameters as varchar. I can't make the change, I can only recommend the change to the vendor.

Of course it has to be the database, the code runs just fine against our test database with only a couple of hundred rows of data in the biggest table. 😛

Hope they don't need Unicode.

DB too big?

No, they just have never QA'd code in a real Production sized environment.

I have seen where once things start to degrade, it's not a straight line.

It will teeter, then just tips over.

Something you never see without QA being similar to production.

And even then, you might have to add some workload.

• Lynn Pettis (4/4/2014)

Sean Lange (4/4/2014)

Lynn Pettis (4/4/2014)

Sean Lange (4/4/2014)

It isn't that I want to play as much as I want to get back out there and officiate, especially the kids.

Our Pre-K/Kindergarten kids sure could have used you on Saturday. Our "ref" has taken things to a new low. Twice the ball hit the post and stayed in, even though she blew the whistle when it hit the post. Both times the opposing team then picked up the ball with their hands. Not at all inappropriate for young kids after hearing a whistle. However both times she then decided the ball never went out of bounds so she called a handball. As if that wasn't bad enough she awarded the free kick to the same team that picked up the ball. I am so sick and tired of our city bringing these high school kids in as refs and giving them no training or even seeing if they understand the rules. So frustrating.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (4/7/2014)

Lynn Pettis (4/4/2014)

Sean Lange (4/4/2014)

Lynn Pettis (4/4/2014)

Sean Lange (4/4/2014)

Our Pre-K/Kindergarten kids sure could have used you on Saturday. Our "ref" has taken things to a new low. Twice the ball hit the post and stayed in, even though she blew the whistle when it hit the post. Both times the opposing team then picked up the ball with their hands. Not at all inappropriate for young kids after hearing a whistle. However both times she then decided the ball never went out of bounds so she called a handball. As if that wasn't bad enough she awarded the free kick to the same team that picked up the ball. I am so sick and tired of our city bringing these high school kids in as refs and giving them no training or even seeing if they understand the rules. So frustrating.

Sounds about like the training the Community Center gives to refs, just hands them the laws of the game and then tells them they are on their own on game day. I tried offering to teach a class for new referees but it was a no go. Tried to help mentor them on the field but some didn't care.

Once the whistle was blown the ball is dead. Pre-K/K kids (U-6)? AYSO doesn't even put refs on those games, the coaches are on the field with them managing the game. AYSO starts putting refs on the field at U-8.

• Sean -

Is the grass green?

I still see white and brown around here. 🙂

Sad about the refs - kids need to learn the rules right.

And a ref repeating a wrong call is sending the wrong message.

Hopefully coaches on both sides are letting the kids know what should have happened.

At least it sounds like no Soccer Mom riot ensued.

• Lynn Pettis (4/7/2014)

Sean Lange (4/7/2014)

Lynn Pettis (4/4/2014)

Sean Lange (4/4/2014)

Lynn Pettis (4/4/2014)

Sean Lange (4/4/2014)

Sounds about like the training the Community Center gives to refs, just hands them the laws of the game and then tells them they are on their own on game day. I tried offering to teach a class for new referees but it was a no go. Tried to help mentor them on the field but some didn't care.

Once the whistle was blown the ball is dead. Pre-K/K kids (U-6)? AYSO doesn't even put refs on those games, the coaches are on the field with them managing the game. AYSO starts putting refs on the field at U-8.

Sadly they do it by grade instead of age. :w00t:

I have offered to teach the refs the rules and how to manage kids games so the kids can learn the game and rules correctly. It has fallen on deaf ears.

My older son moved to another league (run by a friend of mine) for this season so he can play league and on the traveling competitive team. This new league is run correctly and everything is smooth. I am going to bring my youngest to that league next season as well. The downside is I have a 35 minute drive instead of 5 minutes for my local league.

• Greg Edwards-268690 (4/7/2014)

Sean -

Is the grass green?

I still see white and brown around here. 🙂

Sad about the refs - kids need to learn the rules right.

And a ref repeating a wrong call is sending the wrong message.

Hopefully coaches on both sides are letting the kids know what should have happened.

At least it sounds like no Soccer Mom riot ensued.

The grass is starting to turn around here. Have even seen a few early spring flowers. The temps are still pretty low but it does appear that warmer weather is emerging soon.

Definitely no soccer mom riots. At this young age the moms are actually more clueless about the game than the refs. At least until after practice this week. I am planning on my usual parents practice this week. With the young teams I always have one practice where I make all the parents come out on the field. Then I teach the parents how to properly kick the ball, I take them over to the sideline to explain out of bounds, and I use all of them as "players" to teach them offside. Of course at this level they don't call offside but I tell the parents that if they are going to be parents and fans of soccer then learning the rules starts with them. 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 43,666 through 43,680 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply