Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn Pettis (4/19/2014)

SQLRNNR (4/19/2014)

Lynn Pettis (4/19/2014)

Greg Edwards-268690 (4/19/2014)

Lynn Pettis (4/19/2014)

It is amazing what crap advice people (Gail NOT included) give to others when they ask for help regarding suspect databases.

I particularly like the fact that the thread was 6 years old.

And why it went suspect was key to how to plan recovery.

I wonder if a check engine light comes on, if some of them just pull the motor and get one out of a junk yard as a first attempt to fix? 🙂

Steve -

Although attention to details is part of or job, I wonder if something could be done at some time to at least pop up a message that the thread is so old when someone goes to reply.

Hate to see something that old churning up that kind of advice.

Especially on top of the correct starting point.

Hope everyone enjoys the Holiday weekend, if it is one they celebrate.

Check Engine Light? First stop is AutoZone to have them tell me what the problem is. Costs me nothing at that point.

Why wouldn't you just go change all your tires and gas tank for that?

Had a car once that got 50 MPG, at one point the car was down to getting only 40 MPG, solution? Replaced the original spark plugs, wires, rotor and cap and miraculously the car went back to 50 MPG. Of course I did this at 105,521 miles on the car.

I once bought a 1966 GTO for $800 that had a miss.

Car only had 15,600 miles on it.

Spark plug wires, not the valve job the guy was thinking.

So it pays to diagnose things.

Wish I still had that one.

• Greg Edwards-268690 (4/19/2014)

Steve -

Although attention to details is part of or job, I wonder if something could be done at some time to at least pop up a message that the thread is so old when someone goes to reply.

A good idea. I get caught by this sometimes myself. I'll add this to the list.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/19/2014)

Steve -

I actually don't care how old a post is. If I think additional information or a better solution is required, I'll post it no matter how old the post is. If someone resurrects a post with crap advice, let them do so at their own risk. There's better things to burn precious Developer time on, like getting rid of the IFCode Shortcuts to the left of the post creation window in favor of making them clickable icons at the top of the edit window. It would also be damned handy if the text color and highlight selections had a clickable color wheel (or at least a set of standard colors) to pick from instead of having to type "RED" for the color or some god awful RGB code.

Another set of niceties would be to update the code colorizer and move the smileys from the right of the edit window up to the menu bar, as well as the IFCodes .

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Greg Edwards-268690 (4/19/2014)

Lynn Pettis (4/19/2014)

SQLRNNR (4/19/2014)

Lynn Pettis (4/19/2014)

Lynn Pettis (4/19/2014)

It is amazing what crap advice people (Gail NOT included) give to others when they ask for help regarding suspect databases.

I particularly like the fact that the thread was 6 years old.

And why it went suspect was key to how to plan recovery.

I wonder if a check engine light comes on, if some of them just pull the motor and get one out of a junk yard as a first attempt to fix? 🙂

Steve -

Check Engine Light? First stop is AutoZone to have them tell me what the problem is. Costs me nothing at that point.

Why wouldn't you just go change all your tires and gas tank for that?

Had a car once that got 50 MPG, at one point the car was down to getting only 40 MPG, solution? Replaced the original spark plugs, wires, rotor and cap and miraculously the car went back to 50 MPG. Of course I did this at 105,521 miles on the car.

I once bought a 1966 GTO for $800 that had a miss.

Car only had 15,600 miles on it.

Spark plug wires, not the valve job the guy was thinking.

So it pays to diagnose things.

Wish I still had that one.

I had a '68 GTO that coincidentally I think I paid $800 for.

So we have goats and fish in common.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• Dwain -

Hope my car is faster, as I can't even stretch a fish lie to make one that big. 😀

Not the '66, but still have a Goat in the garage.

This summer's project.

If you ever make it near Minnesota, look me up.

• Greg Edwards-268690 (4/20/2014)

Dwain -

Hope my car is faster, as I can't even stretch a fish lie to make one that big. 😀

This summer's project.

Everybody's fish story can be stretched to be that big. That's just standard fish story telling isn't it?;-)

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (4/20/2014)

Greg Edwards-268690 (4/20/2014)

Dwain -

This summer's project.

Everybody's fish story can be stretched to be that big. That's just standard fish story telling isn't it?;-)

Eventually, some of us look for proof.

Then things can fall apart quickly.

One guy that fishes with us that on the water, always has bigger fish than anyone else.

When we start cleaning them, we are always amazed at how much his fish shrink in the livewell.

It is a shame they shrink so much.

The way he handles a filet knife, there is a real need for the additional meat to get any kind of a meal.

And then the mystery - why when he cleans, the odd filet count.

We have to watch him a bit closer this year.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/19/2014)

Steve -

I like this idea also. As long as it doesn't prevent posting to it anyway (as Jeff says, sometimes things just need better advice).

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

SQLRNNR (4/20/2014)

Dwain -

This summer's project.

One guy that fishes with us that on the water, always has bigger fish than anyone else.

When we start cleaning them, we are always amazed at how much his fish shrink in the livewell.

The way he handles a filet knife, there is a real need for the additional meat to get any kind of a meal.

lol

Leave him on the pole and don't let him near a knife. Classic.

Learn Extended Events

• WayneS (4/20/2014)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/19/2014)

Steve -

I like this idea also. As long as it doesn't prevent posting to it anyway (as Jeff says, sometimes things just need better advice).

Heh... the problem is that they are always complaining about not having enough Developer time to fix stuff that actually needs fixing. If I were the PM on what the SSC forums should do, I would gladly forgo spending any time at all on such a popup in favor of making the things I mentioned a reality and some other useful things such as making it easier to upload images (howz'bout click'n'drag or just "Paste") and make the "article contribution" leg work a whole lot better especially when it comes to images and code.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• SQLRNNR (4/20/2014)

SQLRNNR (4/20/2014)

Dwain -

This summer's project.

lol

I once brought a couple of pictures with him with knife in hand admiring his handiwork in to work.

Ever seen a crappie in 5 or 6 pieces before taking the skin off the filets?

Usually it's two slabs to skin, and a body with head attached, complete backbone, dorsal and tail fin.

Well filet was a real stretch - one guy suggested to sharpen the ax for him.

And we must have staged the photo, as there was no way someone could have done that with a knife.

So for a cabin warming gift, one of the guys got Jim the book "How to Clean and Cook Fish" .

When you open it, there is a blown up picture of Jim and the Carnage glued to the inside cover.

Bucket List Challenge - teach Jim to Filet a fish properly.

I'll keep trying, but I may fail miserably.

SQLRNNR (4/20/2014)

SQLRNNR (4/20/2014)

Dwain -

This summer's project.

lol

I once brought a couple of pictures with him with knife in hand admiring his handiwork in to work.

Ever seen a crappie in 5 or 6 pieces before taking the skin off the filets?

Usually it's two slabs to skin, and a body with head attached, complete backbone, dorsal and tail fin.

Well filet was a real stretch - one guy suggested to sharpen the ax for him.

And we must have staged the photo, as there was no way someone could have done that with a knife.

So for a cabin warming gift, one of the guys got Jim the book "How to Clean and Cook Fish" .

When you open it, there is a blown up picture of Jim and the Carnage glued to the inside cover.

Bucket List Challenge - teach Jim to Filet a fish properly.

I'll keep trying, but I may fail miserably.

Wow, simply wow. But then again, it sounds too much like some dba's i know with a mouse and keyboard in their hand.

Learn Extended Events

Dwain -

This summer's project.

That's pretty cool. Had a lot of fun with my '68. What year is the Goat in your garage?

A friend of mine had a '66 GTO with the triple carbs. He also had a couple of others, a '70 that was pretty fast and another I believe that I can't recall the year on.

I still remember the old couple across the street from my house that had a mint '69 sitting in his driveway (many years after it was made) and I think it had like 30,000m on the clock. I had a standing offer to him to buy it but he wasn't selling.

Unlikely I'll ever make it to Minnesota (brrr!) but I'll keep your offer in mind. Same to you if you ever make it to BKK.

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]

• Duplicate post removed.

My advice:

• dwain.c (4/20/2014)

Dwain -

This summer's project.

That's pretty cool. Had a lot of fun with my '68. What year is the Goat in your garage?

A friend of mine had a '66 GTO with the triple carbs. He also had a couple of others, a '70 that was pretty fast and another I believe that I can't recall the year on.

I still remember the old couple across the street from my house that had a mint '69 sitting in his driveway (many years after it was made) and I think it had like 30,000m on the clock. I had a standing offer to him to buy it but he wasn't selling.

Unlikely I'll ever make it to Minnesota (brrr!) but I'll keep your offer in mind. Same to you if you ever make it to BKK.

1969 GTO Judge - has a RAIII, but had a full tilt RAIV in it when my dad bought it back in the mid 70's.

Neither is the numbers matching engine, and it still has the deep gears and high stall converter.

So fun around town, but road trips are out of the question.

One of the neighbors has a '66 Tri Power 4 speed.

Don't see many of those anymore.

Viewing 15 posts - 43,726 through 43,740 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply