Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Luke L (5/13/2009)

I've always had decent luck with Dell laptops. they just seem to consistently beat out IBM And HP on price for the same hardware. My only recomendation is not to buy RAM from them. My last laptop I bought from them they wanted an extra $1000 to upgrade from 1 GB to 4 GB of RAM. I bought ram that was guaranteed to work from crucial.com for much like a 1/3 less. Granted this was 3 years ago when laptop RAM was a bit more expensive than today, but still look at this as an option.

-Luke.

I bought a Dell around Christmas and the memory pricing was still out of whack with what you could get from crucial.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• I'm curious, is it difficult to pop more RAM into a laptop? I've never had one, only used desktops on which I've done upgrades on (more RAM, replacing power supply, video card, etc.) but I haven't opened up a laptop to see what's inside.

-- Kit

• There is usually a small panel on the bottom which can be opened to access the RAM slot(s)

With the right size screw driver its as quick as swapping RAM on a desktop machine

• IF you've upgraded the memory in a desktop it's much the same. Usually it's just a door on the bottom with a screw or two that you remove and the dimms are right underneath it.

One time, I have to remove the keyboard assembly to get to the second DIMM because they were placed on either side of the Mother board. Seemed a weird design but not all that hard to do.

I know that Dell has step by step manuals on how to do it for their machines on their support site. I'd imagine that the other manufacturers would as well...

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Cool. Thanks. I've wanted one for a while. Glad to know you can do some upgrades to them without having to send it back to customer service.

-- Kit

• Jack Corbett (5/13/2009)

Luke L (5/13/2009)

I've always had decent luck with Dell laptops. they just seem to consistently beat out IBM And HP on price for the same hardware. My only recomendation is not to buy RAM from them. My last laptop I bought from them they wanted an extra $1000 to upgrade from 1 GB to 4 GB of RAM. I bought ram that was guaranteed to work from crucial.com for much like a 1/3 less. Granted this was 3 years ago when laptop RAM was a bit more expensive than today, but still look at this as an option.

-Luke.

I bought a Dell around Christmas and the memory pricing was still out of whack with what you could get from crucial.

I've only upgraded the memory in one laptop and it was pretty simple.

One thing to watch out for though. Many laptops used to come with 2 memory slots, both filled. So if you wanted to upgrade from 2 GB to 4 GB you'd have to buy 2 - 2 GB cards and get rid of the 2 - 1 GB cards that came with the laptop.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Kit G (5/13/2009)

Cool. Thanks. I've wanted one for a while. Glad to know you can do some upgrades to them without having to send it back to customer service.

RAM, Hard drive, Optical drive and battery are about the only things you can upgrade on a laptop so make sure you carefully spec out everything else including the graphics adapter. Lots of laptops come with a very crappy "intel integrated" graphics card which is basically a software emulation of what a graphics card should be.

• I'd also suggest you go 64bit at this point on your machines. Especially with VMs.

Upgrading memory is easy, as mentioned above.

• Jack Corbett (5/13/2009)

Luke L (5/13/2009)

-Luke.

I lucked out last October. I bought an HP dv5 series that had dropped in price from $1200 to $700 (canadian). It was one of those lucky breaks, and the CPU inside was faster than the advertised one. I think HP ran out of CPU's for that run, so they put the faster one in to meet their quota.

Gaby

• Steve Jones - Editor (5/13/2009)

I'd also suggest you go 64bit at this point on your machines. Especially with VMs.

Agreed, and if you're going to be using VMs and SQL, get at least 2GB memory. 4GB if you can.

I was very happy with my HP Pavillion, except for the battery life (1h 30 - 2h). 17" screen, Vista 64 bit, 2 GB memory

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I tried Vista x64 on my new PC (no laptop) but the performance was awful.

Luckily my company gave me a Server 2008 x64 license. It's running perfect.

• I haven't tried Vista 64-bit, but on my ADM 64-bit desktop, I have XP32, and 2GB, and it's slow. I even have two SATA drives, OS on one, VMs on the other. Still slow.

I actually put in 4GB, but it isn't recognized (http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/steve_jones/archive/2009/05/11/where-s-my-2gb.aspx).

I have a new machine on order, 64-bit, and I'm going W2K8/Hyper-V as the main OS. Hoping for better performance 🙂

• A 32 bit desktop OS handles memory management differently than a server OS. However my Vista 32-bit machine with 4 GB of Ram reports 4GB even though it only can actually use 3.5GB (as is the max with a 32 bit Desktop OS). About a year or perhaps more ago, MS put out a patch to show the extra memory. Previous to the patch the OS would only show 3.5 GB 'cause that's all the OS could deal with. Now it still can only address the 3.5GB but it will at least show the entire 4 GB.

Steve if you're truly running a 6 Year old Mobo in that machine it may be the Mobo, perhaps you need a bios update to handle the rest of the memory?

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• I have a two year old HP laptop with a 17" display. Yes, I wish the battery lasted longer and it is a bit slow at times. It has 2GB RAM, and apparently is maxed out, as I wanted to upgrade it to 4GB.

Other than that, it has beed quite reliable.

• Possible it needs an update, but this desktop, is (I believe) 3 or 4 years old. The 6 year old one doesn't have SATA, and I've given up on that one. I'll recycle or sell it to someone.

I'm going 64-bit only from this point on. Too many people have it working on their laptops, so I think it's worth trying.

Viewing 15 posts - 4,381 through 4,395 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply