Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I'm running Vista-64 on my desktop machine, 6 Gig of RAM and I'm having no issues with using it all when I fire up enough to do so.

Takes a long time to get going on loading the desktop, but I have it starting up a lot of applications and services at that point, so the extra 30 seconds is expected and usual. XP was slow on that too, when I was using that, for the same reasons.

The machine performs quite well and is very "snappy", except when I load it down with too much. But that's normal too.

From what I've read, Windows 7 boots faster, and is technically faster than Vista, but not enough for human users to notice the speed. Benchmarks show a small percentage of improvement.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I run Vista 64-bit on my home pc with 3GHz dual core cpu, 4GB ram and SATA drives

Runs OK including Virtual PC for XP 32-bit

But not running SQL though

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• All good stuff about the laptops folks. Thanks. I'll let you know what I end up with.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• (note found engraved on a charred bulkhead floating near a wormhole entrance)

Klingons do not use laptops as they are fragile and easily damaged in combat.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Maybe Klingons use ThinkPads which are much stronger and survive the combat.

• Jeff Moden (5/13/2009)

All good stuff about the laptops folks. Thanks. I'll let you know what I end up with.

Jeff, one more thing about laptops with regards to 32 vs. 64-bit. It is probably not worth the cost of getting a 64-bit O/S if you do not plan to increase your RAM past 3GB.

I had a discussion with our Microsoft Rep who visits every couple of weeks. We were talking about the upcoming Windows 7 and he said to be honest, it's not really worth getting the 64-bit O/S if I'm not using memory intense apps. It doesn't go much faster. And you can run SQL Server on it without much issue because to be honest, you're not using it with any production intensity. Basically, if you are a heavy gamer, consider it, otherwise go for something a bit less in the 32-bit flavor.

Gaby

• Here's an almost textbox example of how to post a question:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldatabaseengine/thread/76211536-6cbb-4e68-b7c5-b64b83ba0dde

The only issue is that he used C# to populate the table, but at least he did something.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• wouldn't VMs come into the memory area?

Jeff, I'd think 64bit and Hyper-V. I've had quite a few other MVPs say they like this arrangement since they can bring up/tear down tests quickly.

• I'm also glad that I took the x64 version. I don't use Hyper-V but VMWare. I'm currently running 8GB RAM and hope this sufficient for the next years ;-).

• Bob Hovious (5/13/2009)

Klingons do not use laptops as they are fragile and easily damaged in combat.

I thought Klingons used the laptops to cause damage when their phasers died.

• Florian Reischl (5/13/2009)

Maybe Klingons use ThinkPads which are much stronger and survive the combat.

Nope I'm thinking they more likely prefer ToughBooks. They can bludgeon you to death with them and they just keep right on humming... Wouldn't even be affected by your blood dripping into the keeps.

And no I don't work for Panasonic, but man with the new movie out it'd be a great cross platform marketing idea!

and yes I've been spending way too much time on a marketing project... Starting to think like them now, someone stop me please!

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Luke L (5/13/2009)

Florian Reischl (5/13/2009)

Nope I'm thinking they more likely prefer ToughBooks. They can bludgeon you to death with them and they just keep right on humming... Wouldn't even be affected by your blood dripping into the keeps.

And no I don't work for Panasonic, but man with the new movie out it'd be a great cross platform marketing idea!

and yes I've been spending way too much time on a marketing project... Starting to think like them now, someone stop me please!

Dang! They definitely beat the ThinkPads! I never heard about those weapons. I should keep in mind for my next fight against the Alien-Wares troopers!

I don't know ... I have trouble with making a connection between Klingons and anything associated with the word "think".

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (5/13/2009)

I don't know ... I have trouble with making a connection between Klingons and anything associated with the word "think".

Never underrate your enemy, Gus. Since Klingons have their own Google...

http://www.google.com/intl/xx-klingon/

GSquared (5/13/2009)

Never underrate your enemy, Gus. Since Klingons have their own Google...

http://www.google.com/intl/xx-klingon/

Are you trying to imply that using Google in some way indicates the ability to think? Are you aware of what the most-searched terms and subjects are?

Property of The Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 4,396 through 4,410 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply