Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Koen Verbeeck (7/9/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/9/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (7/9/2014)

Grant Fritchey (7/9/2014)

Where does my data come from?

Well the mommy data and the daddy data loved each other very much so....

He's being a tad lazy now.

Prior experience with this one eh?

Not exactly. But replying with "extended events sounds OK, can you write a script for me" doesn't really sound proactive to me πŸ˜€

Yeah - spoon feed me please.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Grant Fritchey (7/9/2014)

...and now the Backups are coming for a visit this weekend.....

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (7/9/2014)

😎

some of them are even corrupt little munchkins

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Koen Verbeeck (7/9/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/9/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (7/9/2014)

Not exactly. But replying with "extended events sounds OK, can you write a script for me" doesn't really sound proactive to me πŸ˜€

In fairness, I'd rather someone else wrote my extended events scripts for me too πŸ™‚

• WHERE Coalesce(NotNullableColumn,-1) = 0

and CategoryID = @CategoryID

Group By CategoryID

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • SQLRNNR (7/9/2014)

Eirikur Eiriksson (7/9/2014)

😎

some of them are even corrupt little munchkins

Did you mean "some of them are even corrupt little differentials":-P

😎

• Gazareth (7/9/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (7/9/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/9/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (7/9/2014)

In fairness, I'd rather someone else wrote my extended events scripts for me too πŸ™‚

The part I don't get about people asking for help and then using solutions they don't understand is about support. What if something goes wrong? What happens in 2 months when a new situation comes up and they have to modify the code? What are they going to tell their boss? "Uhhh...I can't fix it. It's not my fault. Some guy on the internet did it."

Granted, there are plenty of things I don't know. But I certainly wouldn't put anything I don't understand into production. After all, I'm the one who's going to be supporting it.

• GilaMonster (7/9/2014)

WHERE Coalesce(NotNullableColumn,-1) = 0

Group By CategoryID

What where they thinking? They need to use ISNULL to preserve the data type from the column. :hehe:

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Ed Wagner (7/9/2014)

Gazareth (7/9/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (7/9/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/9/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (7/9/2014)

The part I don't get about people asking for help and then using solutions they don't understand is about support. What if something goes wrong? What happens in 2 months when a new situation comes up and they have to modify the code? What are they going to tell their boss? "Uhhh...I can't fix it. It's not my fault. Some guy on the internet did it."

Granted, there are plenty of things I don't know. But I certainly wouldn't put anything I don't understand into production. After all, I'm the one who's going to be supporting it.

They'll just come back and ask for you to fix the problem or do the modification.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Luis Cazares (7/9/2014)

GilaMonster (7/9/2014)

Group By CategoryID

What where they thinking? They need to use ISNULL to preserve the data type from the column. :hehe:

Do you mean...\0/.../\...

😎

----

INNER JOIN X ON X.CategoryID = @CategoryID

AND X.NotNullableColumn = XXX

WHERE Coalesce(ISNULL(NotNullableColumn,-2),-1) = 0

AND CHARINDEX(CategoryID,@CategoryID) = 1

Group By ISNULL(CategoryID,@CategoryID)

• Stefan Krzywicki (7/9/2014)

Ed Wagner (7/9/2014)

Gazareth (7/9/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (7/9/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/9/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (7/9/2014)

They'll just come back and ask for you to fix the problem or do the modification.

Of course, you're exactly right. Maybe I just have an over-developed sense of responsibility for the data I'm responsible for. πŸ˜‰

• Ed Wagner (7/9/2014)

Stefan Krzywicki (7/9/2014)

Ed Wagner (7/9/2014)

Gazareth (7/9/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (7/9/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/9/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (7/9/2014)

Of course, you're exactly right. Maybe I just have an over-developed sense of responsibility for the data I'm responsible for. πŸ˜‰

Others having no sense of responsibility doesn't mean yours is over-developed.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• GilaMonster (7/9/2014)

Group By CategoryID

I ran across one earlier today that was like this:

coalesce(count(*), 1, 0)

Really had to scratch my head trying to figure out what they were actually trying to do...

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• wolfkillj (7/7/2014)

The Dixie Flatline (6/27/2014)

Grant Fritchey (6/27/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (6/27/2014)

Grant Fritchey (6/27/2014)

Anyone think they can help this person? I think they really need it, and what's more, deserve it. 6.5? Please, no.

6.5 to 2000 with DTS. Ouch.

Stone knives and bear skins.

Hand-cranked mechanical calculating engines carved from wood.

For some reason, this reminds me of a hilarious post that appeared on the internet somewhere, sometime in the murky past. The poster was (I think) responding to complaints about internet connection speed by describing his first internet connection. All I remember for sure was that the first link from the poster's house to the network consisted of tin cans connected by string - after converting his transmissions into binary, he shouted them into the tin can and the neighbor on the other end served as an interface to some only slightly less primitive technology. I would love to find this again (because it makes me laugh so hard that Diet Coke comes out of my nose), but my Google-fu has failed me - anybody ever heard of it or have a line on where to find it?

I'm fairly certain you just described Jeff and Tom's first encounter...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• OCTom (7/9/2014)

Board games and card games are my favorites. I have a weekly dominoes session and a semi-monthly Gin Rummy session with friends. Euchre is played occasionally along with Monopoly and scrabble. Thre's nothing more fun than arguing "home" rules for Monopoly. πŸ˜›

Tom

I always hated playing that game with my brothers - until I realized one day that we'd never actually *read* the rules, we just learned it from my older brother. Bastard. Wiped the board(walk) with him a couple of times until he got pissed and threw the pieces, losing half of them for us. hehehe

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

Viewing 15 posts - 44,551 through 44,565 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply