Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (5/15/2009)

Anyone like to guess where that photo was actually taken?

"In the jungle,

the mighty jungle..."

Actually, that looks more like an Asian elephant to me than an African one, judging by the ears. Possibly a female Asian elephant, judging by the lack of tusks. I could easily be wrong, but that's what it looks like to me. That would most likely place the picture somewhere in India or surrounding regions. Or a zoo, of course.

Edit: I'm not enough of a botanist to identify the plants in the background of the picture. That would likely narrow down the location substantially.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (5/15/2009)

Actually, that looks more like an Asian elephant to me than an African one, judging by the ears. Possibly a female Asian elephant, judging by the lack of tusks. I could easily be wrong, but that's what it looks like to me. That would most likely place the picture somewhere in India or surrounding regions.

100% correct. Photo was taken in Thailand.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

GSquared (5/15/2009)

Actually, that looks more like an Asian elephant to me than an African one, judging by the ears. Possibly a female Asian elephant, judging by the lack of tusks. I could easily be wrong, but that's what it looks like to me. That would most likely place the picture somewhere in India or surrounding regions.

So... that means you commute from Thailand to SA every day on the back of an elephant?? That must be rough. 🙂

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (5/15/2009)

GilaMonster (5/15/2009)

GSquared (5/15/2009)

So... that means you commute from Thailand to SA every day on the back of an elephant?? That must be rough. 🙂

Wow... and I thought my commute when I was working in Los Angeles was rough! 45 minutes in and 1 1/2 hours out (due to a five mile stretch of road that crept along at 2-3 mph).

-- Kit

GSquared (5/15/2009)

Gail: Check out the second story on this page[/url]. You'll get a chuckle out of it.

Hehe. That's not an uncommon comment. I showed someone a photo of me (attached) once (the same one I use as an avatar here) and their next question was along the lines of 'Is that how you get to work?' (asked seriously)

Loved the 'twit' in the comments too:

"Seriously, guy doesn't even recognise the capital city of South Africa!

Oh wait, or is that Johannesburg...? "

It's neither. The capital's Pretoria.

Weren't the capitals split to separate the three branches?

Gaby

• GSquared (5/15/2009)

Hehehe. With times and distances it would be more like once a month or longer.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Luke L (5/15/2009)

I live near here

View Larger Map

For all you folks out in Mass, I'm planning a trip trough Boston up to the Cape this summer. Any must see places to visit?

That's where my ancestors came over in the 1740's. There's a Fritchey street in Harrisburg.

In Boston, Freedom Trail is a must. It includes Old Ironsides, the North Church, all that stuff. If you have kids the Boston Science Museum is pretty cool.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Gaby Abed (5/15/2009)

Weren't the capitals split to separate the three branches?

They are, with Cape Town and Bloemfontein the other two, but if one speaks about the capital city of the country (like London for the UK), it's Pretoria.

Gail Shaw

• RBarryYoung (5/14/2009)

Paul White (5/14/2009)

Bob Hovious (5/14/2009)

Hey Bruce and Paul... how is life in New Zealand? Where do you each live again? Bruce, you're on the North Island (Auckland?) right?

I work in Wellington and live a little further north in Raumati Beach. This general area

Wow. that looks real tough. :angry:

I on the other hand live in southern New Jersey, in this general area.

Since when did those green tree things start growing in New Jersey? Or are they just big thistles?

Edit: Sorry, forgot my manners. I live in a cubicle round about this neck of the woods, and I own a house about five miles away, too! Has a bed and everything...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• tosscrosby (5/15/2009)

Lynn Pettis (5/14/2009)

The sun has set in the deep desert and lone figure sits quietly meditating next to a small camp fire. While sitting there, he simply cannot believe how ridiculous some requests for help can be.

As you come nearer to the figure you can hear the words of his mantra, "Must stay in the desert, Must stay in the desert"...

Edit: fixed spelling/grammer, bad spelling/grammer still in post below

Sorry to comment 4 pages later (I'm just getting up - you folks are fast!). What's with all the "dear" and "brother" and "dear brother". Kind of creeps me out. :crazy: And then posting the same reply two or three times? Is that in hopes of a quicker response? Annoying......Ok, I'm better now.

You'd be a lousy commie. "Comrade? I'm not your comrade! eep!" (running steps, dogs barking . . .)

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ahhh!!!! Damn it! Twice this year!

Flat broken into again last night. Among other things, took the zune that I bought to replace the ipod that they stole last bloody time.

I know you stated that you could not have a real dog in your apartment, but how about this:

http://www.entrybell.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Entry&Product_Code=ATI-REX&Category_Code=HOME

A friend has one and it sounds soooo realistic it should scare off any intruder.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Grant Fritchey (5/15/2009)

Luke L (5/15/2009)

I live near here

For all you folks out in Mass, I'm planning a trip trough Boston up to the Cape this summer. Any must see places to visit?

That's where my ancestors came over in the 1740's. There's a Fritchey street in Harrisburg.

In Boston, Freedom Trail is a must. It includes Old Ironsides, the North Church, all that stuff. If you have kids the Boston Science Museum is pretty cool.

I used to work for a company that had a location on Fritchey st. Small world.

Thanks for the tips about stuff to see in Boston.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

GSquared (5/15/2009)

Gail: Check out the second story on this page[/url]. You'll get a chuckle out of it.

Hehe. That's not an uncommon comment. I showed someone a photo of me (attached) once (the same one I use as an avatar here) and their next question was along the lines of 'Is that how you get to work?' (asked seriously)

Loved the 'twit' in the comments too:

"Seriously, guy doesn't even recognise the capital city of South Africa!

Oh wait, or is that Johannesburg...? "

It's neither. The capital's Pretoria.

This reminds me of the old riddle:

How do the natives pronounce the capital of Kentucky: "Loo-ville", or "Looey-ville"?

Guesses ensue, after which the questioner slowly and clearly says "Frank-fort".

• jcrawf02 (5/15/2009)

RBarryYoung (5/14/2009)

Paul White (5/14/2009)

Bob Hovious (5/14/2009)

Hey Bruce and Paul... how is life in New Zealand? Where do you each live again? Bruce, you're on the North Island (Auckland?) right?

I work in Wellington and live a little further north in Raumati Beach. This general area

Wow. that looks real tough. :angry:

I on the other hand live in southern New Jersey, in this general area.

Since when did those green tree things start growing in New Jersey? Or are they just big thistles?

Plastic.

(actually, I kid. Although New Jersey has the highest population density of any state in the US, South Jersey isn't that bad. North Jersey, on the other hand, especially north eastern to central eastern is packed in like sardines.)

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 4,501 through 4,515 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply