Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin (1/29/2015)

spaghettidba (1/29/2015)

SQLRNNR (1/29/2015)

erm - too early in the morning. I meant to say alias and not hint.

No worries, it was clear enough 😉

Clear as mud! @=)

That's what I thought when I reread it.:-D

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (1/29/2015)

Brandie Tarvin (1/29/2015)

spaghettidba (1/29/2015)

SQLRNNR (1/29/2015)

erm - too early in the morning. I meant to say alias and not hint.

No worries, it was clear enough 😉

Clear as mud! @=)

That's what I thought when I reread it.:-D

It won't skip the lock, but at least using it as an alias will prevent dirty reads. Then all you have left is to tell them to use the abbreviation for it, which is n. Then they won't have a keyword as an alias. The only thing that will add confusion is when they try to alias prevent locks on more than one table with the same alias hint. They'll be so confused by that point that they won't want to use it any more. 😛

I guess you could just educate on NOLOCK for real, but that won't be as fun.

• Ed Wagner (1/29/2015)

I guess you could just educate on NOLOCK for real, but that won't be as fun.

Agreed. I am trying that with a vendor right now.

They have NOLOCK in use in some of the worst performing tsql around. Client called me this morning and this one procedure that uses NOLOCK, that is not even supposed to be running against the database in question (according to the vendor despite plenty of evidence to show them otherwise), was the lead blocker and had everything bound up (1 spid blocking the rest of the 1000 connections).

Yeah that is fun.

Oh and to top it off, it was worse until I enabled snapshot isolation. That just means they are not using NOLOCK in everything they have deployed. Now if I could just get NOLOCK removed from this particular query - the client would be a bit happier with the app.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I cannot seem to find anything via Google on licensing Dev edition. Can someone just verify for me that my thinking is correct.

Per Seat licensing means that anyone who touches SQL, even indirectly through an app, needs to have a license. Yes?

Or is it just people who use SQL directly (SSIS, SSMS, etc.)?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

I cannot seem to find anything via Google on licensing Dev edition. Can someone just verify for me that my thinking is correct.

Per Seat licensing means that anyone who touches SQL, even indirectly through an app, needs to have a license. Yes?

Even indirectly, same as buying a CAL for other versions.

See Microsoft site for more details.

So if a user is helping test, they should have a license too.

• Greg Edwards-268690 (1/29/2015)

I cannot seem to find anything via Google on licensing Dev edition. Can someone just verify for me that my thinking is correct.

Aha. Reasons I couldn't find this page. I was looking at 2012, not 2014 and ignoring cloud options.

Thanks, Greg.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Greg Edwards-268690 (1/29/2015)

Aha. Reasons I couldn't find this page. I was looking at 2012, not 2014 and ignoring cloud options.

Thanks, Greg.

Trying to find the old stuff. 😀

Generally, if your company has an EA with Microsoft, you can just grandfather in and run older versions.

It is a good thing to be able to run the same version / feature set in dev and production.

At least you weren't Std in Prod and Ent in Dev.

• Can anyone chime in here

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1655906-364-1.aspx

I'm at home now and don't have access to a working SSIS environment. I suspect the op just needs pointing in the right direction.

Deja View - The strange feeling that somewhere, sometime you've optimised this query before

How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537
  • ... Mark one off, 29 days on the calendar to go. 29 days on the calendar to go, 29 days to go, ...

• Mark Cowne (1/29/2015)

Can anyone chime in here

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1655906-364-1.aspx

I'm at home now and don't have access to a working SSIS environment. I suspect the op just needs pointing in the right direction.

Added my contribution.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Lynn Pettis (1/29/2015)

... Mark one off, 29 days on the calendar to go. 29 days on the calendar to go, 29 days to go, ...

Lynn, are you okay?

Please tell me this had nothing to do with you. I really really hope you are fine.

• Brandie Tarvin (1/30/2015)

Lynn Pettis (1/29/2015)

... Mark one off, 29 days on the calendar to go. 29 days on the calendar to go, 29 days to go, ...

Lynn, are you okay?

Please tell me this had nothing to do with you. I really really hope you are fine.

Nothing to do with me. Happened at the North Kabul International Airport while I am still here at Bagram and in good health. Looking forward to coming home in 28 days.

• Lynn Pettis (1/30/2015)

Brandie Tarvin (1/30/2015)

Lynn Pettis (1/29/2015)

Lynn, are you okay?

Nothing to do with me. Happened at the North Kabul International Airport while I am still here at Bagram and in good health. Looking forward to coming home in 28 days.

Oh, good. Stay safe.

• ... Mark one off, 28 days on the calendar to go. 28 days on the calendar to go, 28 days to go, ...

• GilaMonster (1/29/2015)

Here's one for everyone. Does anyone have an environment where Enterprise is the production edition and Standard is the Dev / Test version?

That's kinda dumb. Instead of Standard they could use Developer edition, save on cost and get all the enterprise features in Dev/Test

The one I hate seeing is Developer edition for dev/test and Standard in prod. Good way to have random deployment failures....

It could be even worse: Developer edition for dev/test/qa and Express edition for production.

Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 47,221 through 47,235 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply