Are the posted questions getting worse?

• ... Mark one off, 27 days on the calendar to go. 27 days on the calendar to go, 27 days to go, ...

• ... Mark one off, 26 days on the calendar to go. 26 days on the calendar to go, 26 days to go, ...

• Lynn Pettis (2/1/2015)

... Mark one off, 26 days on the calendar to go. 26 days on the calendar to go, 26 days to go, ...

Cheers, my man. I'd buy you a beer on return, but I think when your 26 days run out I'll be back over in the UK.

I'll have to catch you at a CSSUG meeting this spring. I'll make it a point to get down there to see you.

• TomThomson (1/31/2015)

GilaMonster (1/29/2015)

Brandie Tarvin (1/29/2015)

Here's one for everyone. Does anyone have an environment where Enterprise is the production edition and Standard is the Dev / Test version?

That's kinda dumb. Instead of Standard they could use Developer edition, save on cost and get all the enterprise features in Dev/Test

The one I hate seeing is Developer edition for dev/test and Standard in prod. Good way to have random deployment failures....

It could be even worse: Developer edition for dev/test/qa and Express edition for production.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don't even jest. One of the higher ups who only looks at the money would actually like that idea. (He's not a DBA or a developer).

Fortunately he's no longer in my immediate chain of command. But he still controls purse strings and can make waves.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (2/2/2015)

TomThomson (1/31/2015)

GilaMonster (1/29/2015)

Here's one for everyone. Does anyone have an environment where Enterprise is the production edition and Standard is the Dev / Test version?

That's kinda dumb. Instead of Standard they could use Developer edition, save on cost and get all the enterprise features in Dev/Test

The one I hate seeing is Developer edition for dev/test and Standard in prod. Good way to have random deployment failures....

It could be even worse: Developer edition for dev/test/qa and Express edition for production.

Don't even jest. One of the higher ups who only looks at the money would actually like that idea. (He's not a DBA or a developer).

Fortunately he's no longer in my immediate chain of command. But he still controls purse strings and can make waves.

How can you have Express in production? You don't get the SQL Agent, which means no database jobs.

• Ed Wagner (2/2/2015)

Brandie Tarvin (2/2/2015)

TomThomson (1/31/2015)

GilaMonster (1/29/2015)

How can you have Express in production? You don't get the SQL Agent, which means no database jobs.

Maybe not. But people use Express as a back end for several sorts of different third party solutions. For instance, my SO once worked at a place that put medical software on top of Express. You know, the stuff they use in doctors' offices and hospitals to input diagnosis codes, patient notes, etc.

Who needs database jobs for stuff like that?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• You always have scheduled tasks, so SQL Agent, while nice, isn't necessary for many things.

• I only have Standard Edition, but I can't imagine running a production instance on SQL Express. Maybe I'm just spoiled.

• Ed Wagner (2/2/2015)

Brandie Tarvin (2/2/2015)

TomThomson (1/31/2015)

GilaMonster (1/29/2015)

That is easy enough to overcome. As much as I don't like it, I have had to support clients with Express in production. You can get things to run on a schedule without the agent. But the agent sure is nice.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Ed Wagner (2/2/2015)

I only have Standard Edition, but I can't imagine running a production instance on SQL Express. Maybe I'm just spoiled.

I have to agree. Express should not be a production instance. But there are a lot of shops out there that don't need a lot of capacity and don't have a lot of IT budget. So they opt for the cheaper solution. I would rather them use Express than MySQL.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (2/2/2015)

Ed Wagner (2/2/2015)

I only have Standard Edition, but I can't imagine running a production instance on SQL Express. Maybe I'm just spoiled.

I have to agree. Express should not be a production instance. But there are a lot of shops out there that don't need a lot of capacity and don't have a lot of IT budget. So they opt for the cheaper solution. I would rather them use Express than MySQL.

Given those options, Jason, I have to agree completely.

• SQLRNNR (2/2/2015)

Ed Wagner (2/2/2015)

Or Access

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Sioban Krzywicki (2/2/2015)

SQLRNNR (2/2/2015)

Ed Wagner (2/2/2015)

Or Access

Oh my. :w00t:

• Sioban Krzywicki (2/2/2015)

SQLRNNR (2/2/2015)

Ed Wagner (2/2/2015)

Or Access

<cough>postgresql</cough>

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I'll be honest. I've never seen / touched / played with Express. I probably should get a copy so I can at least recognize what I can do on it (since I already know most of what I can't do on it).

Hmm. Should I have admitted that in public?

Viewing 15 posts - 47,236 through 47,250 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply