Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Eirikur Eiriksson (2/4/2015)

Sioban Krzywicki (2/4/2015)

Grant Fritchey (2/4/2015)

Brandie Tarvin (2/4/2015)

Anyone know anything about this Grant guy? Does he know what he's talking about?

Nah, I hear he's a giant bag of wind and a bit of a schmuck. However, he dresses nice and can lift 400lbs.

Pfft. I can lift 400 lbs

Just not all at once!

Divide and conquer;-)

😎

But... but.. but...

No. That doesn't count. All at once.

I did the math after working out one day. I picked up a truck... just in pieces.

But it's not the same doggone it!

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (2/4/2015)

Eirikur Eiriksson (2/4/2015)

Anyone know anything about this Grant guy? Does he know what he's talking about?

Nah, I hear he's a giant bag of wind and a bit of a schmuck. However, he dresses nice and can lift 400lbs.

Pfft. I can lift 400 lbs

Just not all at once!

Divide and conquer;-)

😎

But... but.. but...

I did the math after working out one day. I picked up a truck... just in pieces.

I don't think I've been able to pick up 400 lbs all at once since college.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Sioban Krzywicki (2/4/2015)

Pfft. I can lift 400 lbs

Just not all at once!

Divide and conquer;-)

😎

But... but.. but...

Good grief you were a strong brute in college. I am pretty sure the only way I have or ever will lift 400 lbs is with an engine hoist or something along those lines.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (2/4/2015)

Pfft. I can lift 400 lbs

Just not all at once!

Divide and conquer;-)

😎

But... but.. but...

Good grief you were a strong brute in college. I am pretty sure the only way I have or ever will lift 400 lbs is with an engine hoist or something along those lines.

Grant can do it now!

In high-school and college I played a lot of sports and lifted to stay in shape.

Since then? Gym on and off, but working on different things, weight loss mostly, staying fit. Not bulking up or working for competition condition.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

Sean Lange (2/4/2015)

Pfft. I can lift 400 lbs

Just not all at once!

Divide and conquer;-)

😎

But... but.. but...

Grant can do it now!

In high-school and college I played a lot of sports and lifted to stay in shape.

Since then? Gym on and off, but working on different things, weight loss mostly, staying fit. Not bulking up or working for competition condition.

I still play lots of sports but 400 lbs is more than twice my body weight, not likely I can pick that up at all.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Brandie Tarvin (2/4/2015)

So I finally got my "training materials" for SQL 2012. The High-Performance T-SQL Using Windows Functions by Itzik Ben-Gan (smaller book than I thought it would be) and a book called SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning by some guy named Grant Fritchey... Anyone know anything about this Grant guy? Does he know what he's talking about?

@=) πŸ˜€

< ducking and hiding behind the Hippo now >

Aside from giving grief to the authors, I've read both and they're good. Grant knows "a few things" about performance tuning and has a writing style that's easy to read.

Itzik's book spends considerable time explaining the standard and includes information on what SQL Server does and does not support. It makes me miss what we don't have, but then again, I'm still on SQL 2008 at work, so I don't have much of it anyway. However, there are some things in there I'm skeptical about and want to try once I get SQL 2012.

In any event, they're both good books. Enjoy. Make sure you have a SQL database available for play. Enjoy.

• Sean Lange (2/4/2015)

Sean Lange (2/4/2015)

Pfft. I can lift 400 lbs

Just not all at once!

Divide and conquer;-)

😎

But... but.. but...

Grant can do it now!

I still play lots of sports but 400 lbs is more than twice my body weight, not likely I can pick that up at all.

Some of it is probably the sport you're focusing on. Two of the sports were football and field events (shot put, discus, javelin). It was less than twice mine. And 400 lbs was a deadlift weight. Get it off the ground, stand up straight, put it back down.

Sean Lange (2/4/2015)

Sean Lange (2/4/2015)

Pfft. I can lift 400 lbs

Just not all at once!

Divide and conquer;-)

😎

But... but.. but...

Grant can do it now!

Some of it is probably the sport you're focusing on. Two of the sports were football and field events (shot put, discus, javelin). It was less than twice mine. And 400 lbs was a deadlift weight. Get it off the ground, stand up straight, put it back down.

I play soccer so leg strength isn't an issue but there is no chance my grip would be able to lift that. I don't do deadlifts but I suspect I couldn't do 400.

Yeah, deadlift. It's not like I have a 400lb snatch or a clean & jerk. I can clean 210. But I only snatch 135. That lift involves so much skill and frankly, I suck.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Yeah, deadlift. It's not like I have a 400lb snatch or a clean & jerk. I can clean 210. But I only snatch 135. That lift involves so much skill and frankly, I suck.

So you can lift 400lbs, all at once. Is that all?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

The balance and steadying strength required for that last one... ugh.

I managed a 300 lb bench press once.

And, of course, these are all "testing max" weights. I didn't do reps with any of them.

• Ed Wagner (2/4/2015)

So I finally got my "training materials" for SQL 2012. The High-Performance T-SQL Using Windows Functions by Itzik Ben-Gan (smaller book than I thought it would be) and a book called SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning by some guy named Grant Fritchey... Anyone know anything about this Grant guy? Does he know what he's talking about?

@=) πŸ˜€

Aside from giving grief to the authors, I've read both and they're good. Grant knows "a few things" about performance tuning and has a writing style that's easy to read.

Itzik's book spends considerable time explaining the standard and includes information on what SQL Server does and does not support. It makes me miss what we don't have, but then again, I'm still on SQL 2008 at work, so I don't have much of it anyway. However, there are some things in there I'm skeptical about and want to try once I get SQL 2012.

In any event, they're both good books. Enjoy. Make sure you have a SQL database available for play. Enjoy.

Umm, isn't that what Production is for?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• SQLRNNR (2/4/2015)

So you can lift 400lbs, all at once. Is that all?

Unfortunately, yes.

• Brandie Tarvin (2/4/2015)

Ed Wagner (2/4/2015)

@=) πŸ˜€

Exactly!

Ed Wagner (2/4/2015)

@=) πŸ˜€

Exactly!

Sorry...my mistake. What was I thinking? πŸ˜‰

Viewing 15 posts - 47,281 through 47,295 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply