Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (2/4/2015)

Ed Wagner (2/4/2015)

GilaMonster (2/4/2015)

Brandie Tarvin (2/4/2015)

GilaMonster (2/3/2015)

And spending the evening at the office because there are scheduled blackouts in my area. Again.

Scheduled blackouts? Is the electrical grid overworked?

Yup, since 2008.

So, rather than fixing the problem by adding infrastructure, they schedule rolling blackouts? Let me guess...they raised your rates because of all the work in having to schedule them, right?

They started building 2 power stations in 2008, and increased electricity rates by 20% a year for 3 years to pay for those new stations. One of those might be online by the end of the year. Currently the rule seems to be 'ignore maintenance until something breaks, then blame the previous government' (pre-1994) because it's clearly all their fault that things are breaking now.

Yikes! How long do these blackouts last?

You didn't have to sleep in the office, did you?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Ed Wagner (2/2/2015)

Brandie Tarvin (2/2/2015)

TomThomson (1/31/2015)

GilaMonster (1/29/2015)

Brandie Tarvin (1/29/2015)

Here's one for everyone. Does anyone have an environment where Enterprise is the production edition and Standard is the Dev / Test version?

That's kinda dumb. Instead of Standard they could use Developer edition, save on cost and get all the enterprise features in Dev/Test

The one I hate seeing is Developer edition for dev/test and Standard in prod. Good way to have random deployment failures....

It could be even worse: Developer edition for dev/test/qa and Express edition for production.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don't even jest. One of the higher ups who only looks at the money would actually like that idea. (He's not a DBA or a developer).

Fortunately he's no longer in my immediate chain of command. But he still controls purse strings and can make waves.

How can you have Express in production? You don't get the SQL Agent, which means no database jobs.

I have one or two kicking about. Maintenance backups etc get run via NT Scheduled Tasks running sqlcmd

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• Brandie Tarvin (2/4/2015)

GilaMonster (2/4/2015)

Ed Wagner (2/4/2015)

GilaMonster (2/4/2015)

GilaMonster (2/3/2015)

And spending the evening at the office because there are scheduled blackouts in my area. Again.

Yup, since 2008.

So, rather than fixing the problem by adding infrastructure, they schedule rolling blackouts? Let me guess...they raised your rates because of all the work in having to schedule them, right?

They started building 2 power stations in 2008, and increased electricity rates by 20% a year for 3 years to pay for those new stations. One of those might be online by the end of the year. Currently the rule seems to be 'ignore maintenance until something breaks, then blame the previous government' (pre-1994) because it's clearly all their fault that things are breaking now.

4-5 hours at a time, 1-3 times a week, depending on how severe the shortfall is.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (2/4/2015)

GilaMonster (2/4/2015)

Ed Wagner (2/4/2015)

GilaMonster (2/4/2015)

GilaMonster (2/3/2015)

Yup, since 2008.

4-5 hours at a time, 1-3 times a week, depending on how severe the shortfall is.

If you have some wheels, we have users hamsters in the States. I'm sure we could send them your way to make up that shortfall.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Ed Wagner (2/4/2015)

GilaMonster (2/4/2015)

GilaMonster (2/3/2015)

Yup, since 2008.

We're talking about California, right?

Kidding, I know we're talking about SA. Just the future of California.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (2/4/2015)

Ed Wagner (2/4/2015)

GilaMonster (2/4/2015)

GilaMonster (2/3/2015)

Yup, since 2008.

We're talking about California, right?

Kidding, I know we're talking about SA. Just the future of California.

The whole US, really. "Wait until it breaks" seems to be standard for infrastructure now.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• So I finally got my "training materials" for SQL 2012. The High-Performance T-SQL Using Windows Functions by Itzik Ben-Gan (smaller book than I thought it would be) and a book called SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning by some guy named Grant Fritchey... Anyone know anything about this Grant guy? Does he know what he's talking about?

@=) πŸ˜€

< ducking and hiding behind the Hippo now >

Anyone know anything about this Grant guy? Does he know what he's talking about?

Nah, I hear he's a giant bag of wind and a bit of a schmuck. However, he dresses nice and can lift 400lbs.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Anyone know anything about this Grant guy? Does he know what he's talking about?

Nah, I hear he's a giant bag of wind and a bit of a schmuck. However, he dresses nice and can lift 400lbs.

Oh, really? I may have to get his autograph some time.

... a book called SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning by some guy named Grant Fritchey... Anyone know anything about this Grant guy? Does he know what he's talking about?

Take it like a tequila, with a pinch of salt..:-P

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (2/4/2015)

... a book called SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning by some guy named Grant Fritchey... Anyone know anything about this Grant guy? Does he know what he's talking about?

😎

I think I must have ordered the book while I was sleep deprived or something. @=)

On the other hand, the author wears nice suits and can lift 400lbs. Obviously he's qualified to have his name on something. @=)

Grant Fritchey (2/4/2015)

Oh, really? I may have to get his autograph some time.

I'm sure that can be arranged. Just remember to bring a wad of cash.

Eirikur Eiriksson (2/4/2015)

😎

I think I must have ordered the book while I was sleep deprived or something. @=)

On the other hand, the author wears nice suits and can lift 400lbs. Obviously he's qualified to have his name on something. @=)

Dresses nice you say? Um... Lets see! Wish I'd stepped back so I could get the full effect in frame! Oh well

To use a Chuck Norris ism, Grant doesn't life 400 Lbs he just stares at it until it lifts itself!

Rodders...

Edit: Might help uploading the picture not just choosing it!

Pfft. I can lift 400 lbs

Just not all at once!

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Sioban Krzywicki (2/4/2015)

Grant Fritchey (2/4/2015)

Pfft. I can lift 400 lbs

Just not all at once!

Divide and conquer;-)

😎

Viewing 15 posts - 47,266 through 47,280 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply