Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Sean Lange (2/10/2015)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/10/2015)

Supposed to be 50s the next week. Getting warmer in the mountains as well, which sucks. Supposed to ski this weekend.

You can have it back. It is supposed to be below freezing for the next week. Would be fine if we had mountains but cold here is just cold. Nothing fun to do outside. We don't even get snow most of the time, just bitter cold and ice.

Here in Michigan, it actually got above freezing this past weekend, but then dropped off again. We're back up to around 20 now, but another blast of arctic air is supposed to be moving in again. It wouldn't bother me at all if the road commission would actually plow the roads and use some salt once in a while.

• ... Mark one off, 17 days on the calendar to go. 17 days on the calendar to go, 17 days to go, ...

• Ed Wagner (2/10/2015)

Sean Lange (2/10/2015)

Supposed to be 50s the next week. Getting warmer in the mountains as well, which sucks. Supposed to ski this weekend.

You can have it back. It is supposed to be below freezing for the next week. Would be fine if we had mountains but cold here is just cold. Nothing fun to do outside. We don't even get snow most of the time, just bitter cold and ice.

Here in Michigan, it actually got above freezing this past weekend, but then dropped off again. We're back up to around 20 now, but another blast of arctic air is supposed to be moving in again. It wouldn't bother me at all if the road commission would actually plow the roads and use some salt once in a while.

It's funny. When it snows in my area (usually get 1 snow/ice storm per year, of no more than 4 to 6 inches), we get all of the people from the "north" (canada/new england) complaining about how everything closes down and no one knows how to drive. Nevermind the fact that at 1 snow storm per year that lasts, on average, 3 to 5 days before melting away the area can't justify more than minimums on road clearing/salting due to cost.

Then I see what is going on in New England right now and just laugh, I thought people up there knew how to handle snow! I say this with tongue firmly in cheek. It's just interesting to me how much I get told that they do it "better" up in New England... and then people from there complain when it snows there.

My favorite anecdote on how snow is around here:

During a massive ice storm (we get powdered snow about 1 time per decade, we get ice/snow mix 1 time per year), they closed several interstate intersections due to ice on bridges. The first reported wreck on those bridges that closed them, was a guy from upstate New York. His interview with the local NEWS was about the funniest I've ever heard, it was something like this.

"I'm from New York, so I know how to drive in this stuff... but man that Ice is Slick!"

• 54F as a high yesterday for me, today the high is 50F, woke up to a light dusting, about an inch, of snow. Had to scrape the car to take kids to school.

• Rather hot here, was 34 C around midday, scheduled blackouts in suburb containing office means no aircon.

Need: Ice-cold shower.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (2/11/2015)

Rather hot here, was 34 C around midday, scheduled blackouts in suburb containing office means no aircon.

Need: Ice-cold shower.

If you have a teleporter, take a swim in Boston Harbor. It should be nice and chilly at this point.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• venoym (2/11/2015)

Ed Wagner (2/10/2015)

Sean Lange (2/10/2015)

It's funny. When it snows in my area (usually get 1 snow/ice storm per year, of no more than 4 to 6 inches), we get all of the people from the "north" (canada/new england) complaining about how everything closes down and no one knows how to drive. Nevermind the fact that at 1 snow storm per year that lasts, on average, 3 to 5 days before melting away the area can't justify more than minimums on road clearing/salting due to cost.

Then I see what is going on in New England right now and just laugh, I thought people up there knew how to handle snow! I say this with tongue firmly in cheek. It's just interesting to me how much I get told that they do it "better" up in New England... and then people from there complain when it snows there.

My favorite anecdote on how snow is around here:

During a massive ice storm (we get powdered snow about 1 time per decade, we get ice/snow mix 1 time per year), they closed several interstate intersections due to ice on bridges. The first reported wreck on those bridges that closed them, was a guy from upstate New York. His interview with the local NEWS was about the funniest I've ever heard, it was something like this.

"I'm from New York, so I know how to drive in this stuff... but man that Ice is Slick!"

To be fair, we complain when we get feet of snow. But yeah, mocking people further south for not being equipped for something that doesn't happen often is ridiculous.

The snow by my driveway is currently piled over 6 feet high and there's more coming. There are piles in the lot outside work that are over 15 feet high.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• It is amazing the lengths people will go to to avoid making a simple change.

All they had to do was change LEFT OUTER LOOP JOIN to LEFT JOIN, but no. Now there's an INNER JOIN and an OPTION (FORCE ORDER) and they think they resolved it. I thought Gail was perfectly clear, but I guess people read what they want to read.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• Sioban Krzywicki (2/11/2015)

It is amazing the lengths people will go to to avoid making a simple change.

All they had to do was change LEFT OUTER LOOP JOIN to LEFT JOIN, but no. Now there's an INNER JOIN and an OPTION (FORCE ORDER) and they think they resolved it. I thought Gail was perfectly clear, but I guess people read what they want to read.

The OP and the person with the Force Order are different users.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (2/11/2015)

Sioban Krzywicki (2/11/2015)

It is amazing the lengths people will go to to avoid making a simple change.

The OP and the person with the Force Order are different users.

Well that's good, but confusing? And the OP going for an INNER JOIN? I don't know.

• It's funny. When it snows in my area (usually get 1 snow/ice storm per year, of no more than 4 to 6 inches), we get all of the people from the "north" (canada/new england) complaining about how everything closes down and no one knows how to drive. Nevermind the fact that at 1 snow storm per year that lasts, on average, 3 to 5 days before melting away the area can't justify more than minimums on road clearing/salting due to cost.

It's the same when it snows in the UK and there's inevitably chaos. Everybody complains that they can cope in Canada and Scandinavia etc but an inch over here brings everything to a standstill. They don't realise that elsewhere people can almost say to the day when the snow will come so it's worth the investment. They forget that over here it's so changeable I won't like to reliably predict that it will get dark at night. They would also be the first ones to complain about councils spending thousands on snow-ploughs that got used twice in ten years.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• BWFC (2/11/2015)

It's the same when it snows in the UK and there's inevitably chaos. Everybody complains that they can cope in Canada and Scandinavia etc but an inch over here brings everything to a standstill. They don't realise that elsewhere people can almost say to the day when the snow will come so it's worth the investment. They forget that over here it's so changeable I won't like to reliably predict that it will get dark at night. They would also be the first ones to complain about councils spending thousands on snow-ploughs that got used twice in ten years.

I lived in Seattle for several years about 20 years ago. It almost never snows there. I moved there in early November and it snowed 4 or 5 inches after I had been there for about a week. The county government owned something like 10 or so snowplows but had all been rented out to other locations because they never get snow in Seattle. It literally shut down the entire city for a couple days until most of it had melted away.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (2/11/2015)

BWFC (2/11/2015)

I lived in Seattle for several years about 20 years ago. It almost never snows there. I moved there in early November and it snowed 4 or 5 inches after I had been there for about a week. The county government owned something like 10 or so snowplows but had all been rented out to other locations because they never get snow in Seattle. It literally shut down the entire city for a couple days until most of it had melted away.

Most of the time when someone complains about snow around here (Charlotte area)... I just ask them how well they handle hurricanes up in New York. Usually get a rant about "super storm" Sandy... got news for them... a Cat 1 doesn't even cancel school along the southern atlantic or Gulf coast (South Carolina to Texas), they don't start taking much notice until Cat 3.

• BWFC (2/11/2015)

We have a lot of complaints now because we had two winters of less snow than usually. Every winter there is chaos in southern part of Finland if it snow more than 10 cm in one day 🙂 Here in central Finland where I live normal amount of snow during winter is 50 to 70 cm, so we are quite used to bad weather. Every year winter surprises drivers anyway 🙂 It comes before we have to use winter tires.

• ... Mark one off, 16 days on the calendar to go. 16 days on the calendar to go, 16 days to go, ...

Viewing 15 posts - 47,401 through 47,415 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply