Are the posted questions getting worse?

• It's nice having the kids get older. While I was on a call, my wife texted to ask if I could bring something to her a few ranches down the road. Only about 1/2 mile, but I was busy. Sent my 14 yr old to drive up there in the truck.

I thought she'd like the BMW, but apparently getting her up on the first day of summer vacation was not appreciated.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/21/2015)

It's nice having the kids get older. While I was on a call, my wife texted to ask if I could bring something to her a few ranches down the road. Only about 1/2 mile, but I was busy. Sent my 14 yr old to drive up there in the truck.

I thought she'd like the BMW, but apparently getting her up on the first day of summer vacation was not appreciated.

I could be your son if you let me drive the BMW. 😀

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Have a look at this one. To me it looks like a recipe for disaster.

Tom

• Luis Cazares (5/21/2015)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/21/2015)

It's nice having the kids get older. While I was on a call, my wife texted to ask if I could bring something to her a few ranches down the road. Only about 1/2 mile, but I was busy. Sent my 14 yr old to drive up there in the truck.

I could be your son if you let me drive the BMW. 😀

Pass. I have enough kids taking my car as it is

• TomThomson (5/21/2015)

Have a look at this one. To me it looks like a recipe for disaster.

The word "Darwinism" comes to mind...

• TomThomson (5/21/2015)

Or, we could just set fire to the server room and watch it burn. Same outcome, prettier show and less time involved.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Yes, excellent idea, just go and change max server memory from ~28 GB with SQL using all of it down to 4GB and back up because that 95% figure in Task Manager is scary.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (5/22/2015)

Yes, excellent idea, just go and change max server memory from ~28 GB with SQL using all of it down to 4GB and back up because that 95% figure in Task Manager is scary.

Any suggestions on changing "DON'T FIX IT IF IT AIN'T BROKEN!" into a really strongly abusive statement and preferably combine it with "STOP MEDDLING"? I think that might be the way of getting the message through.

😎

• GilaMonster (5/22/2015)

Yes, excellent idea, just go and change max server memory from ~28 GB with SQL using all of it down to 4GB and back up because that 95% figure in Task Manager is scary.

OK - I've done that task manager looks fine now. But teh users are complaining ***URGENT PLZ HELP*** 😀

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• Eirikur Eiriksson (5/22/2015)

GilaMonster (5/22/2015)

Any suggestions on changing "DON'T FIX IT IF IT AIN'T BROKEN!" into a really strongly abusive statement and preferably combine it with "STOP MEDDLING"? I think that might be the way of getting the message through.

😎

I need a 'Stop flailing around at random' message to get through.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • TomThomson (5/21/2015)

After reading this one, I had to glance at the poor guys profile to see if he might be working at my last employer...

And yes, I could see them doing this (they were actually planning something similar, one application, lots of different customers, one database to rule them all...)

Bear in mind as well, they write medical practice management software, so HIPPA (or however the acronym is spelled) applies...

• Ah, the Friday before a 3-day weekend here in the US...

Everyone smart took the day off, everyone who couldn't take the day off is trying to figure out how to leave early...

• jasona.work (5/22/2015)

Ah, the Friday before a 3-day weekend here in the US...

Everyone smart took the day off, everyone who couldn't take the day off is trying to figure out how to leave early...

Darn, I'm not smart.

Actually my employer does an early release day for holidays, so the office is closing at 2pm. It's nice especially for those who plan on going away for the weekend, you can beat the worst traffic.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Question, how many of you work in an open work space? If you do, what are your thoughts?

My employer just finished a renovation and I'm moving into an open work space environment, and I'm not real existed about it.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack Corbett (5/22/2015)

Question, how many of you work in an open work space? If you do, what are your thoughts?

My employer just finished a renovation and I'm moving into an open work space environment, and I'm not real existed about it.

When I go to Redgate it's open and I'm not excited by it. Maybe it would grow on me over time, but in short bursts it's painful.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 15 posts - 48,556 through 48,570 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply