Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Bob Hovious (5/28/2009)

Gaaaahhhh.... I get really focused on my real life and work for a couple of days and I miss all the excitement. :w00t:

I'm glad I got to see the fireworks though.

Congratulations and happy Big Round Dumber Day 5k to everyone. I'm guessing 10k will be the next to cause any real excitement.

Nah. I'm perfectly capable of getting excited about every prime number, if we decided to work that way. Big Round Dumbers (I hope that wasn't a typo, it's far too clever for that) are just one thing to get worked up about.

But then, I'm VERY easily entertained.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Grant Fritchey (5/28/2009)

GilaMonster (5/28/2009)

I hate dogs. Little ones I just dislike, big ones actually scare me.

Sorry to hear it. I love big dogs. We have an 80lb German Shephard, Maximus. He's a giant baby doll. Sounds like a frigging balrog when he barks though. I hate to think about the mess we'd have to clean up if some criminal got as far as the door before Max barked at him...

My former landlord had 2 big dogs. Bull Terriers, I think (I'm no expert on dog breeds). They were intended as guard dogs, bought as puppies and he didn't train them, just let them run loose.

On day one of them took exception to me hanging my laundry in the garden.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • only 30 more 'til the next Prime (5087)!!!

Here's a list of the 1st 1000 primes for anyone who cares.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• At the rate we are going, I wouldn't be surprised if we hit 6,000 by June 30th. 😛

• Lynn Pettis (5/28/2009)

At the rate we are going, I wouldn't be surprised if we hit 6,000 by June 30th. 😛

At the rate things are going I'll have that many spam emails in my spam folder by the end of the day. Some spammer is using my domain name as the return address for spam emails. I got over 600 undeliverable email in my spam folder in the last 2 hours.

Now that the cats have been released, I'd like to let the dogs loose!!!!

:o(

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• You know, I keep hearing about the number of post on The Thread. It is an impressive and truly astounding number.

But, has anybody checked out the number of views? I mean, really - 106,000+ views of The Thread? Averaging more than 20 views per post?

Unbelievable...

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Gaby Abed (5/28/2009)

Bob Hovious (5/28/2009)

Gaaaahhhh.... I get really focused on my real life and work for a couple of days and I miss all the excitement. :w00t:

Congratulations and happy Big Round Dumber Day 5k to everyone. I'm guessing 10k will be the next to cause any real excitement.[/quote

We'll have mini celebrations every 1000 until then. 🙂

Curses upon you, Gaby. Beat me to the (almost) obvious joke....

Still made me laugh, though.

edit: Or did you mean for Bob's post to be in a quote box? Thought you were deliberately "echoing"......

• Jeffrey Williams (5/28/2009)

You know, I keep hearing about the number of post on The Thread. It is an impressive and truly astounding number.

But, has anybody checked out the number of views? I mean, really - 106,000+ views of The Thread? Averaging more than 20 views per post?

Unbelievable...

Lots of lurkers 😀

Chad (moving back into hiding again)

• That is an impressive number of views. I always felt that The Thread is a large part of what makes SSC seem more like a community, rather than just a forum. I know I have profited by being able to learn from all of you in the past year or so, but I also feel as if I have joined something good here.

Does anyone else see it that way?

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• john.arnott (5/28/2009)

Gaby Abed (5/28/2009)

Bob Hovious (5/28/2009)

Congratulations and happy Big Round Dumber Day 5k to everyone. I'm guessing 10k will be the next to cause any real excitement.[/quote

edit: Or did you mean for Bob's post to be in a quote box? Thought you were deliberately "echoing"......

20 views per post doesn't sound that high to me. Don't we have 20 regular viewers in this thread?

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• john.arnott (5/28/2009)

Gaby Abed (5/28/2009)

Bob Hovious (5/28/2009)

LOL, forgot the closing bracket. Post edited, but glad you enjoyed it. Heh heh.

Gaby

• Bob Hovious (5/28/2009)

That is an impressive number of views. I always felt that The Thread is a large part of what makes SSC seem more like a community, rather than just a forum. I know I have profited by being able to learn from all of you in the past year or so, but I also feel as if I have joined something good here.

Does anyone else see it that way?

There are a number of advantages to The Thread.

First, of course, is that it's biographical films are really cool. Just saw the fourth one last Saturday.

Next, it's a community thing, and a good one.

Perhaps more importantly to the stated purpose of the site, is that it's a place where people can post links to "hey, can someone help this guy out?" type stuff. It's a good way to get the attention of the best and brightest.

Also important, but a little less aligned to the purpose of the site, is the ability to post "gems". Different values different times, but value every time one of those gets posted, at least to us.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GilaMonster (5/28/2009)

Grant Fritchey (5/28/2009)

GilaMonster (5/28/2009)

Sorry to hear it. I love big dogs. We have an 80lb German Shephard, Maximus. He's a giant baby doll. Sounds like a frigging balrog when he barks though. I hate to think about the mess we'd have to clean up if some criminal got as far as the door before Max barked at him...

My former landlord had 2 big dogs. Bull Terriers, I think (I'm no expert on dog breeds). They were intended as guard dogs, bought as puppies and he didn't train them, just let them run loose.

On day one of them took exception to me hanging my laundry in the garden.

Now I know why you dislike/scared/hate dogs. It makes perfect sense.....

-Roy

• Steve Jones - Editor (5/22/2009)

Lynn Pettis (5/22/2009)

I like watching professional soccer. You rarely see the coaches getting angry on the touchline with the officials (not saying the don't).

You rarely see anything happen in professional soccer.

now that's funny!:-D

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• GilaMonster (5/28/2009)

We have two dogs, the daughter has a cat that thinks its a dog and the sister in law has a cat that thinks we are its pets.

The small dog is just shy of 45lbs (yeah, I said small dog). The beast is just over 120lbs - and really only 10lbs overweight. You don't have to worry about the beast - unless you are really concerned about sloppy kisses, it's the small one you have to worry about.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 15 posts - 5,056 through 5,070 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply