Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Ah, so it is still available.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Bob Hovious (5/28/2009)

At least in cricket, you take the bat with you when you run. Something I think would add a lot of much-needed excitement to baseball. (We can start the little ones out with Nerf bats in the peewee leagues.)

Briliant! Now we see them young runners running bases with a bat in their hands, and the basemen and short stop ducking to avoid injury. Not such a cool idea I think.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Roy Ernest (5/29/2009)

Is it the Dissecting SQL Server execution plans e-Book? If so then yes. I have it with me. And have started reading it.

I got it from SSC itself[/url]. It was part of an eBook Selection Zip file

If you buy the hard copy, Grant gets money I guess.. I cheated on that and downloaded it...:hehe:

I don't get a penny for the books sales, so download or purchase the book, either way works for me.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Alvin Ramard (5/28/2009)

Lynn Pettis (5/28/2009)

At the rate things are going I'll have that many spam emails in my spam folder by the end of the day. Some spammer is using my domain name as the return address for spam emails. I got over 600 undeliverable email in my spam folder in the last 2 hours.

I had that happen at a company where I was working a few years ago.

We had an interesting set up of mail transfer agents at the time. On the DMZ system (between the outer and inner firewalls), a front-end SMTP server initially processed the email then forwarded it to a virus scanner which then forwarded scanned messages to a second SMTP server which routed acceptable mail through the firewall to an Exchange server.

I reprogrammed the front-end to recognise the handful of return addresses the spammer was using and, instead of following the normal practice of accepting the message body then dumping it, it simply reset the connection and moved onto the next message. At the time, this cut the volume of traffic on the internet connection by over a third!

Derek

• Derek Dongray (6/1/2009)

Alvin Ramard (5/28/2009)

Lynn Pettis (5/28/2009)

At the rate things are going I'll have that many spam emails in my spam folder by the end of the day. Some spammer is using my domain name as the return address for spam emails. I got over 600 undeliverable email in my spam folder in the last 2 hours.

We had an interesting set up of mail transfer agents at the time. On the DMZ system (between the outer and inner firewalls), a front-end SMTP server initially processed the email then forwarded it to a virus scanner which then forwarded scanned messages to a second SMTP server which routed acceptable mail through the firewall to an Exchange server.

I reprogrammed the front-end to recognise the handful of return addresses the spammer was using and, instead of following the normal practice of accepting the message body then dumping it, it simply reset the connection and moved onto the next message. At the time, this cut the volume of traffic on the internet connection by over a third!

I disabled the "catch all" email forwarding for now. That stopped the flooding of my gmail account. I still wish there was a way to stop this kind of action.

Oh well.

FYI: It went up to over 900 in 3 hours before it finally stopped.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Grant Fritchey (5/31/2009)

Roy Ernest (5/29/2009)

Is it the Dissecting SQL Server execution plans e-Book? If so then yes. I have it with me. And have started reading it.

I got it from SSC itself[/url]. It was part of an eBook Selection Zip file

If you buy the hard copy, Grant gets money I guess.. I cheated on that and downloaded it...:hehe:

I don't get a penny for the books sales, so download or purchase the book, either way works for me.

BTW, if you do download or puchase the book, I'd sure appreciate feedback. And if you didn't think it stunk, please post a review on Amazon.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Alvin Ramard (6/1/2009)

Derek Dongray (6/1/2009)

Alvin Ramard (5/28/2009)

Lynn Pettis (5/28/2009)

I disabled the "catch all" email forwarding for now. That stopped the flooding of my gmail account. I still wish there was a way to stop this kind of action.

Oh well.

FYI: It went up to over 900 in 3 hours before it finally stopped.

I've got 2 registered domain names and only use specific email addresses for both of them - i.e. I also have "catch all" disabled.

One use I've found for not using the "catch all" is 'one-shot' email addresses. If I need to enter an email address on a web site I'm not sure about (for example, the "please enter email address for a link to download this report" type), I'll create a new email address to use, then delete it a few days later. It saves me getting spammed by too much random email.

Derek

• Oh well, I guess my Dynamic Tally article insulted the intelligence of a couple of people on SSWUG. One person even posted his comment 3 times. Some people just don't recognize a compare and contrast article when it slaps them in the face.

I have no idea how they'll take my response. Wasn't overly "saintly" but not as in your face has I wanted to write.

• Lynn, Can you post a link to the article?

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• First, you have to be a full member (free membership appears to be good enough to read the articles).

Here is my article, The Dynamic Tally or Numbers Table.

Here is my other article, Deleting Large Number of Records.

• Lynn Pettis (6/1/2009)

First, you have to be a full member (free membership appears to be good enough to read the articles).

Here is my article, The Dynamic Tally or Numbers Table.

Here is my other article, Deleting Large Number of Records.

I'm not a paid member and I can't read it. Sorry.

• Can't even read the article with free membership. Oh well.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (6/1/2009)

Can't even read the article with free membership. Oh well.

I ran into the same problem. The whole paid membership thing is the main reason why I don't bother with SSWUG.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• I have a few people a year sending me email for refunds for SSWUG. Apparently they get upset when SSWUG links to me.

• Great. I guess I can read them because their my articles, becuase I sure as heck didn't pay for a membership. Why pay for something I can get free here at SSC?

Well, I was trying to help out Chris Shaw by writing a few articles for him (plus, I have to be honest, I was a bit mercenary here I needed the extra money). I can't publish the articles else where until August or September (120 days after submission to sswug.org).

My Tally Table artice is getting a very good rating at the moment, 2 views and 1 vote with a rating of 1.00. the other article has had 407 hits in a week, no votes so has a rating of 0.00.

Sorry guys and gals.

Viewing 15 posts - 5,161 through 5,175 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply