Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I was simply speaking what I felt in my heart

Heh... me too, Lynn... me too. ๐Ÿ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (6/1/2009)

I was simply speaking what I felt in my heart

Heh... me too, Lynn... me too. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yes you were, but I feel that you went a little more beyond that with this:

Jeff Moden (6/1/2009)

Just no more lectures about how good people are and how much they love us.

Please don't tell me what I should or shouldn't talk about. I would also consider myself a Constitutional Republican. The First Amendent of the Constitution grants us all Freedom of Speech, NOT Freedom from Speech. It doesn't matter if you agree or disagree, like or dislike , love or hate what I say; as long as it is not liable or slander you should at least respect what I say. (I hate being Politically Correct.)

I would expect you, or most anyone else on SSC, to correct me when I am wrong, or act in an unprofessional manner.

As you have heard me say before, I have great respect for you and your knowledge. You have been a mentor to me over the last four years (yes it has been that long since I got really active on SSC), and have learned much from you. I also hope that you have learned something from me as well (I have no idea what, but I hope something (lol)).

Edit: added missing word.

• Dude... Lighten up. ๐Ÿ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• as long as it is liable or slander you should at least respect what I say

I think there should be a "not" in there. Right?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Just to add in my half-cent worth, I've had mixed experiences with various parts of humanity, foreign and domestic, but it's mostly good. In my experience, most people are worth knowing or at least meeting.

The only person I can think of that I haven't ended up liking, to one extent or another, was a convicted child-molester, and just all-around scumbag (as one would kind of expect).

I have had the fun of having someone from the Mid-East assume that I either was Jewish or had a Jewish boss, because he'd been told all his life that all Americans are one of those two situations. He had trouble reconciling reality with what he'd been taught, but most (perhaps all) people have trouble setting aside childhood "facts", even when forcibly contradicted by reality.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (6/2/2009)

as long as it is liable or slander you should at least respect what I say

Gus, knowing Lynn, I would say you are correct. Simply not his style.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Hey All,

Just thought I would give you an update on the issues raised by Grant and Mohit on TDE, it will be fixed with the latest release of SQL 2008.

This week I wont be on much since I have here Bill Wunder on a site visit. I am trying to get him to stay here.. ๐Ÿ™‚ I can learn quite a bit from him...

-Roy

• Lynn, thank you for that reflection, your intent is appreciated and should be taken to heart. (Romans 12:8 - "As much as is possible, live at peace with everyone.")

Jeff, I am sorry to hear of the despicable treatment your wife received, and yet I think Lynn's point is a good one, it should just be expanded to all people, not simply those of us who are Americans. This is what you were trying to say, yes?

Individuals everywhere should remember that their actions reflect on the larger groups to which they belong, and that most importantly their actions reflect on themselves.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• I've got bad memories of a very arrogant American couple that I ran into (not literally) in Grahamstown while I was a student there. They were finding fault with everything, acting as if the locals were there to be ordered around and as if we weren't capable of understanding insults. It coloured my views of Americans for quite some time.

Bad behaviour's universal, not confined to one country. Good behaviour's the same.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GSquared (6/2/2009)

as long as it is liable or slander you should at least respect what I say

Yes, you are correct. Read it several times and never caught that mistake. I'll go fix it.

• Roy Ernest (6/2/2009)

Hey All,

Just thought I would give you an update on the issues raised by Grant and Mohit on TDE, it will be fixed with the latest release of SQL 2008.

This week I wont be on much since I have here Bill Wunder on a site visit. I am trying to get him to stay here.. ๐Ÿ™‚ I can learn quite a bit from him...

Bill Wunder? He's great! Tell him I said hi.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I have to agree with the thoughts expressed while asleep. Yes, our actions and behaviour as individuals reflect on us as a group. It is human nature to take what happens in our individual interactions and have it color our perceptions of others from the same region or country. We have to learn that this isn't always the case. Just because one person acts a certain way doesn't mean everyone is like that.

Update: My daughter's flight from Frankfurt has been delayed. Instead of getting home near midnight MDT she won't be getting home until around 8:00 AM MDT tomorrow. I did get to talk to her this morning when she called from the airporrt in Frankfurt to give us this terrific news.

• Lynn,

I have to say that I would be a nervous wreck if my 18 year old daughter went to Europe alone. Well, if I had an 18 year old daughter. I still have 8 years before I get there. I just wish I had responded to your request for help, but I just remembered that I know some people in Germany, that I am pretty sure would have tried to help out and make your daughter's time there more enjoyable. The organization I am a part of, New Tribes Mission has a sister agency/office in Germany and I'm sure someone there would have helped out.

I think it's great that through connections made here at SSC you had offers for help. That is definitely what makes a SSC a community, not just a forum.

My thoughts on "ugly" Americans/Germans/Arabs/Jews/etc... is just what have been expressed by most here. I "judge" each person as an individual not by race/ancestry/country/religion. Shoot, I am an American and have been mistreated by Americans so why would I generalize based on one experience. I haven't traveled around the world, but I've met people from all over the world and have had pleasant and unpleasant encounters with people from pretty much everywhere, fortunately mostly pleasant.

Working for an organization that sends people around the world, I have to be aware of not pushing U.S. values and ways of doing things on others, even in the software that I develop and work on. Sometimes it's true that we Americans think we do everything (except soccer/futbol) better than everyone else and nobody likes it when we come across that way. I think I live in the best country on earth, but I appreciate the people of others even if I don't agree with the government of some of those countries.

Again, I'm glad that Lynn was able to get some help from a fellow SSC member and that we can have discussions that are non-technical like this one. This is what makes SSC a great community.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Hi Lynn

Lynn Pettis (6/1/2009)

You may have read my post late last week looking for help, not with SQL Server, but trying to help my daughter who is currently in Germany find things to do. Her trip wasn't turning out the way she had hoped. Well, one of our own here on SSC stepped up and we had several email exchanges and it made me think.

I saw your post and I really thought if I know anybody in Frankfurt but I donโ€™t. Iโ€™m in Munich and not in the age of your sister (31). Iโ€™m really glad that Lutz could help you!!

When we, as Americans, listen to the news we hear how much of the world seems to hate us. What we don't realize is that it isn't us as much as US (and with this I really mean more like our government). Why do I say this? Because we as individuals have a greater impact on the beliefs of other than we know.

I know many people (me included) who disagree or donโ€™t understand things the American government did. Anyway, I donโ€™t have to and this doesnโ€™t include any individual person.

I met some American people who have been very arrogant (as Gail wrote). On the other hand I met much more German people who have been arrogant (there are much Germans more around here ๐Ÿ˜‰ ). I met American (and other people from all over the world) who are really amazing guys and gals. A good friend of mine has an American boy friend who is a great guy.

The personality of a person does not depend on any race/country/religion (as Jack wrote).

Greets

Flo

• I'm reminded of a list of the funniest complaints a travel agent got from his customers. One stuck in my memory as a true testament to ignorant arrogance. In regards to a trip to Barcelona (in Spain), the complaint was, "Too many foreigners, nobody here speaks English". Another, in regards to a trip to northern India, "the restaurants all serve curry, and I'm sensitive to spicy food, no good food". I don't remember the rest, but they were comparably bad.

Was a British travel agency, in London, so I assume most of the customers were from the UK, but couldn't swear to that.

People are people. Everywhere. All in all, we're a rather amazing bunch, with some truly awe inspiring accomplishments, but we're also pathetically funny in far too many ways, and can be rather shocking sometimes, in both good and bad ways.

Property of The Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 5,206 through 5,220 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply