Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden (6/1/2009)

Heh... me too. How do you like your pork chops done, Lynn? ๐Ÿ˜€

Pounded thin, breaded, and fried. ๐Ÿ˜›

• This post is mine, but I figure I'll link it here to get y'all's opinions.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Mmmm.... pork chOPS. ๐Ÿ˜›

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Grant Fritchey (6/1/2009)

Grant Fritchey (5/31/2009)

Roy Ernest (5/29/2009)

Is it the Dissecting SQL Server execution plans e-Book? If so then yes. I have it with me. And have started reading it.

I got it from SSC itself[/url]. It was part of an eBook Selection Zip file

If you buy the hard copy, Grant gets money I guess.. I cheated on that and downloaded it...:hehe:

I don't get a penny for the books sales, so download or purchase the book, either way works for me.

BTW, if you do download or puchase the book, I'd sure appreciate feedback. And if you didn't think it stunk, please post a review on Amazon.

Grant, I thought it was amazing, and I'll be glad to review on Amazon. 'Course I know next to nothing about execution plans, so I keep reading 10 pages, scratching my head and re-reading it again ๐Ÿ˜‰

Can't wait to get my head around it all. I made sure it was part of our workplace library, so nobody has a lack of reference material.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Can anyone who has been through the partitioning wars give me some advice here?

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious (6/1/2009)

Can anyone who has been through the partitioning wars give me some advice here?

It's frickin' Monday, can't you just come up with another verse in the Ballad of Kirk? ๐Ÿ˜›

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• If I do... will that pay for the assistance?

• Bob Hovious (6/1/2009)

I suggested load-testing three scenarios. Really, that's how you'll get the best solution for your situation.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• (First Verseโ€ฆ. I need to get these all in order some day.)

Let me introduce myself, the nameโ€™s James T. Kirk.

A Federation starship is the place that I work.

We fly to strange new worlds where evil aliens lurk.

I whip out my communicator, give it a jerk....

And say โ€œBeam me up, Scotty.โ€

• Bob Hovious (6/1/2009)

Bob, you using 2x4s or 2x6s? Wood or metal?

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• I'm just trying to add a little room for indoor plumbing, Alvin. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• This could, perhaps, be turned into an editorial, but I felt compelled after this weekend to say something.

You may have read my post late last week looking for help, not with SQL Server, but trying to help my daughter who is currently in Germany find things to do. Her trip wasn't turning out the way she had hoped. Well, one of our own here on SSC stepped up and we had several email exchanges and it made me think.

When we, as Americans, listen to the news we hear how much of the world seems to hate us. What we don't realize is that it isn't us as much as US (and with this I really mean more like our government). Why do I say this? Because we as individuals have a greater impact on the beliefs of other than we know.

Imu92 stood up and tried to help me help my daughter. In fact, I think if he had lived closer to Frankfurt he and his family may have given my daughter some of thier time and shown her some of Germany. He related to me his own experience coming to America, and that impact it had on him and what he is trying to teach his own children.

I want to thank him personally and publicly for all he tried to do. When my daughter returns, I'll try to get some of the pictures she took at Satzvey and send them to you as well. From the short email I received Sunday, she really seemed to enjoy it there, and I was glad you were able to figure out where she was going on Saturday from the vague description she provided me when she called and talked with me on Friday.

Should my family and I make it to Germany, I intend to be sure to visit Leipzig for more than one reason.

With this, please remember everything you do as an individual has an impact on the impression of Americans. As individuals we are the most influential, and not necessarily with groups, but more so in our individual interactions with others.

Thank You!

• Lynn Pettis (6/1/2009)

When we, as Americans, listen to the news we hear how much of the world seems to hate us. What we don't realize is that it isn't us as much as US (and with this I really mean more like our government). Why do I say this? Because we as individuals have a greater impact on the beliefs of other than we know.

That's nice. I just loved it when a nice looking foreign couple spit on my significant other in front of our house and called her an "American Whore" because she was wearing knee-high khaki shorts while working in the yard near the road. It's a really good thing I wasn't home when it happened or you'd have read about it in the paper. "Extra Extra! Foreign couple dies from pork poisoning. Tire marks covered point of entry."

I guess you were right about that "individuals" thing... just a little backwards in this case.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• And, yeah... I'm glad your kid is OK and that some good folks pitched in. Just no more lectures about how good people are and how much they love us. It's an individual thing.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (6/1/2009)

And, yeah... I'm glad your kid is OK and that some good folks pitched in. Just no more lectures about how good people are and how much they love us. It's an individual thing.

Jeff, didn't say the loved us. I said on an individual level we can have a positive impact on how others perceive us. I have heard the horror stories of how foreigners have treated Americans both here and overseas. It is easy to be hard and unforgiving of others and to be resentful. But to be honest, what does that get us in return? And this is true even of our own neighbors, coworkers, and sometimes even family.

As I approach the half century mark, I have learned to pick my battles carefully. Will what happens today really matter a week from now, a month from now, a year from now? If so, why? If not, why worry about it.

I am Christian, and fully believe in the teachings of the New Testament, but also the Old Testament. Where I have tried to make Hebrews 13:5 my life verse (Be content with such things as you have. For he himself has said, I will never leave you nor forsake you.); I also firmly believe in the teachings of the Old Testament and particularly Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 (A Time for Everything).

So I do believe in what I preach, and I try to preach it more through my actions than my words, though sometimes I may fail. So if I sound like I am preaching or lecturing, I apologize. Earlier, I was simply speaking what I felt in my heart from the interaction I had between Imu92 and myself with regard to my daughter.

I guess I should just shut up now before anyone else gets upset with me.

:unsure:

Viewing 15 posts - 5,191 through 5,205 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply