Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Runs like a raccoon should be in the list.

Once I saw one run (?) across the road in front of me, I quickly knew why so many end up dead on the roadside.

Deer aren't a whole lot better.

Many times they are standing at the side of the road, then wait until you are really close, then try to cross in front of you.

• Luis Cazares (4/25/2016)

In Mexico is common to say that "his hamster went on vacations".

I've just got to remember to try that next time I'm in P del C! πŸ˜€

I guess it's "Su hΓ‘mster se fue de vacaciones"? Or would "ha ido" be better than just "fue". Oreven "estΓ‘" instead of "fue"?

Tom

• TomThomson (4/25/2016)

Luis Cazares (4/25/2016)

In Mexico is common to say that "his hamster went on vacations".

I've just got to remember to try that next time I'm in P del C! πŸ˜€

I guess it's "Su hΓ‘mster se fue de vacaciones"? Or would "ha ido" be better than just "fue". Oreven "estΓ‘" instead of "fue"?

You had it correct. "Su hΓ‘mster se fue de vacaciones"

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • It's interesting to see all the idioms from different languages that mean the same thing.

Wish I could remember one from my native tongue but it's been almost lost on me now. Would have to ask the folks. lol

SELECT quote FROM brain WHERE original = 1
    0 rows returned

• Greg Edwards-268690 (4/25/2016)

Runs like a raccoon should be in the list.

Once I saw one run (?) across the road in front of me, I quickly knew why so many end up dead on the roadside.

Many times they are standing at the side of the road, then wait until you are really close, then try to cross in front of you.

Heh... my cousin never had a problem with that until he installed "deer whistles" on his truck. They're supposed to drive the deer away. He hit two the first week he had them installed.

Pay attention all you hunters! πŸ˜›

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (4/25/2016)

Greg Edwards-268690 (4/25/2016)

Heh... my cousin never had a problem with that until he installed "deer whistles" on his truck. They're supposed to drive the deer away. He hit two the first week he had them installed.

On a motorcycle forum, a person posted to ride without deer problems, all they had to do was wear their hunting cloths. πŸ˜€

• Jeff Moden (4/25/2016)

Do they do Polar Bear whistles?

😎

• djj (4/25/2016)

Jeff Moden (4/25/2016)

On a motorcycle forum, a person posted to ride without deer problems, all they had to do was wear their hunting cloths. πŸ˜€

Like wearing pinstripes when going to the bank:-D

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (4/25/2016)

djj (4/25/2016)

Jeff Moden (4/25/2016)

😎

My ex once asked how they got the deer to cross the roads at the signs. She was blond, at least at the time, which is another thread entirely!

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Michael L John (4/25/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (4/25/2016)

djj (4/25/2016)

Jeff Moden (4/25/2016)

😎

My ex once asked how they got the deer to cross the roads at the signs. She was blond, at least at the time, which is another thread entirely!

Deer whistles must have been invented by a body man during slow times to boost business.

I wonder if they are legal to hunt with?

• Greg Edwards-268690 (4/25/2016)

Michael L John (4/25/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (4/25/2016)

djj (4/25/2016)

Jeff Moden (4/25/2016)

😎

Deer whistles must have been invented by a body man during slow times to boost business.

I wonder if they are legal to hunt with?

You might be able to jam a bullet in them but they don't have triggers. :-D:-P;-):hehe:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• yb751 (4/25/2016)

It's interesting to see all the idioms from different languages that mean the same thing.

Wish I could remember one from my native tongue but it's been almost lost on me now. Would have to ask the folks. lol

There's a lot of variety even within a single language for this sort of expression.

I've been waiting to see if Jeff would come up with "He has only one oar in the water", but he hasn't. Could that be because submarines don't use oars?

Tom

• Michael L John (4/25/2016)

Was she from Essex?

Tom

• Jeff Moden (4/24/2016)

TomThomson (4/22/2016)

Phil Parkin (4/22/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (4/22/2016)

Brandie Tarvin (4/22/2016)

In this case I did add my two cents because I've seen that damn failure before and it took me days to figure out what the issue was the first time around.

Back home we have a term (dating further back than Disney) which is "frozen", my limited English puts it down to "The lights are on but nobody's home", would be fun to have other's native expressions of the term (in English)

😎

Not quite the same meaning, but very much related, is "knitting with only one needle".

Another very similar is "two slices short of a sandwich".

Heh... an Americanism, for sure, but "3 Fries short of a Happy Meal" used to be popular.

My favorite of all time, though, is "If he had 2 brains, he'd be twice as stupid". πŸ˜€

Oy vey. I hadn't heard the brains one before. Now I will have to use it.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• David Burrows (4/25/2016)

Ed Wagner (4/25/2016)

Another good one is to say that someone's "out to lunch". Well, I've taken that a step further and say that someone's "so out to lunch - they never came back from breakfast". πŸ˜€

Their lift (elevator) doesn't go to the top floor. πŸ˜€

Another favorite of mine.

Here is one from the south:

"Bless his(her) heart!"

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 53,731 through 53,745 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply